6 month study time- recommended prep companies Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rhb5r

New

6 month study time- recommended prep companies

Post by rhb5r » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 pm

I am re-taking in June of 2013. I have taken the test twice before- 1 cancellation and a 168- and self-studied both times. I took a year off to work on a campaign and will start studying in December/January (depending on what happens on Nov. 6). So we're looking at a 6 month study period. I want to score 172+.

I'm leaning towards the self-study route, but was wondering if any of you could recommend a good prep company. I would especially appreciate any advice from people who scored 172+ or have used Velocity.

bp shinners

Gold

Re: 6 month study time- recommended prep companies

Post by bp shinners » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 am

rhb5r wrote:I'm leaning towards the self-study route, but was wondering if any of you could recommend a good prep company. I would especially appreciate any advice from people who scored 172+ or have used Velocity.
With a 168, I think most people around here are going to tell you to self-study. I'd also say that self-studying (and maybe some tutoring to focus on your specific issues) is probably the best way to go.

However, if you're set on a course (to give you structure and regular access to someone who scored in a top percentage), you're going to have trouble finding reviews from people who started with a 168 - most people at that level prep themselves. I would check out some courses in your area and see if you can sit in on the class. Then, ask the instructor specifically what s/he would do to help someone who is already starting at a high level and hoping to improve into the top 1-2%.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Self study.

I liked Velocity a lot and thought it was more helpful than the other prep companies I used.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 pm

BP shinners is spot on. It's very hard to make a class aimed at the very top or the very bottom of the scale. Students are especially individual at the top of the scale, while a class necessarily has to target common issues.

Along with Velocity, I would consider 7Sage (disclaimer, I work there). You can get a good idea of what it's like by looking at the free logic games explanations. The course has a similar structure. Concepts are explained via walkthroughs of real questions, with the question on the screen.

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”