So who is the RC King?

lsatkid007

So who is the RC King?

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I just need help in RC and was asking you all fellow TLSer for your input.

So, who or what company is considered the RC king (best one)?
Who has the most helpful advice and the best explanation?
What is the biggest increase in RC you have seen?

Oh, PLEASE don't tell me to read for structure, main point, author's attitude, or the purpose. I know I have too do these but lack the skill to do these.

Thank you

Lear22

Re: So who is the RC King?

Postby Lear22 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:I just need help in RC and was asking you all fellow TLSer for your input.

Oh, PLEASE don't tell me to read for structure, main point, author's attitude, or the purpose. I know I have too do these but lack the skill to do these.

Thank you

One of the best advices I got here a few weeks was this: read the passage outloud. Meaning: under your breath. not in anyway that someone can hear you. Doing this changed my preformence of the section. It helps you to mentally understand what you're reading and actually remember it. Try it out for a few sections. It a world of good for me.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Do you mean the !King

vegso

Postby vegso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 pm

google advice/guides on how to do these things if you dont know how. They really arent very complex things at all, just take practice

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Lear22 wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:I just need help in RC and was asking you all fellow TLSer for your input.

Thank you

One of the best advices I got here a few weeks was this: read the passage outloud. Meaning: under your breath. not in anyway that someone can hear you. Doing this changed my preformence of the section. It helps you to mentally understand what you're reading and actually remember it. Try it out for a few sections. It a world of good for me.

Thank you

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 pm

vegso wrote:google advice/guides on how to do these things if you dont know how. They really arent very complex things at all, just take practice

Seriously? Please don't play with me. I am so desperate I think im going to give it a try. Thanks if your serious.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:
vegso wrote:google advice/guides on how to do these things if you dont know how. They really arent very complex things at all, just take practice

Seriously? Please don't play with me. I am so desperate I think im going to give it a try. Thanks if your serious.

no. wat. this is terrible advice. any old blog can put up fake lsat questions, which can really throw off your game. look for RC guides that take their passages from real lsats. however, i dont think ive seen anyone rave over an RC guide like they do for LG or LR stuff from manhattan/ps. can you afford tutoring?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 pm

bitsy wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:

no. wat. this is terrible advice. any old blog can put up fake lsat questions, which can really throw off your game. look for RC guides that take their passages from real lsats. however, i dont think ive seen anyone rave over an RC guide like they do for LG or LR stuff from manhattan/ps. can you afford tutoring?

She's right, there are helpful RC guides (powerscore for example), but there aren't any guides that seem to be able to make drastic changes in anyone's performance. RC seems to be much more difficult to learn. A lot of people recommend simply reading very dense material for a few months leading up to the test (like the economist). There really aren't any cheap tricks for RC like LR/LG though, so if you're looking for solid gains you gotta put a lot of time in... good luck.

vegso

Postby vegso » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:20 am

bitsy wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:

no wtf i didnt mean use non LSAT material as practice, i meant find guides on how to improve critical reading skills. These are universal skills you can pick up ANYWHERE and transfer over to RC completely

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 am

I have read the RCB and MRC guide (twice) but still nothing is clicking. I am currently taking each passage and breaking it down by paragraphs and doing MP, AA, Purpose, and Structure. The passages I understand I do pretty good (not perfect) and the ones I don't get. I am too ashamed to mention. I currently read the economist, new yorker, and scientific journal daily. Well not all of them daily but I try and do 30 mins at least a day. Thank you all for your help. Tutoring is too expensive and I will in the Midwest not too many tutors out here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”