How to avoid wasting time redrawing diagrams? (PT 5 Game 4)

M.M.

How to avoid wasting time redrawing diagrams? (PT 5 Game 4)

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:00 pm

So ... I got through this one without any challenges EXCEPT that redrawing the three ranks on each of the games was very time consuming.

Keeping in mind that I prefer doing specific questions first (a question that imposes a condition, e.g. "if Quietville is ranked first in climate, then it must be true that:") and universal questions second ("what must be true?" "Which of the following could be true?") it doesn't work very well for me to just draw a main diagram and erase that repeatedly, since I've lost the work I can use to prove universal question answer choices incorrect.

Maybe drawing multiple diagrams that are full of my deductions in the beginning would help? At the same time though, that would require knowing which games will require such a strategy on test day, otherwise i'd just be wasting time ... any ideas?

Edit: I also feel I had the same problem on PT 7, Game 4. Finished in just over 10 minutes on that one, forgot to time myself on PT 5 Game 4.

arcanecircle

Re: How to avoid wasting time redrawing diagrams? (PT 5 Game 4)

Postby arcanecircle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:50 pm

PT5-S2-Game 4: IIRC this is a tiered ordering game with 3 categories. I personally drew three lines for each variable, there was a considerable amount of front-end work on this one, so the diagramming took me a good 3-4 minutes. Problems 18-20 I answered just by looking at the diagram, 21 I made a quick hypo to answer, 22 I made another hypo, and for 23 I was able to use the work from 22 to answer it. I spent the most time on #22.

I agree that hypoing the game out was irritating since there's 3 variables, I didn't bother writing numbers on my hypos, almost got 22 wrong because of this. I think this kinda thing is the reason they give us extra space now.

Seems I haven't done PT7-S2-Game 4 yet, or have since forgotten :|

Also to add, I think its not a good idea to target specific question types for LGs, because the questions tend to increase in difficulty as you get to the end

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 pm

arcanecircle wrote:PT5-S2-Game 4: IIRC this is a tiered ordering game with 3 categories. I personally drew three lines for each variable, there was a considerable amount of front-end work on this one, so the diagramming took me a good 3-4 minutes. Problems 18-20 I answered just by looking at the diagram, 21 I made a quick hypo to answer, 22 I made another hypo, and for 23 I was able to use the work from 22 to answer it. I spent the most time on #22.

I agree that hypoing the game out was irritating since there's 3 variables, I didn't bother writing numbers on my hypos, almost got 22 wrong because of this. I think this kinda thing is the reason they give us extra space now.

Seems I haven't done PT7-S2-Game 4 yet, or have since forgotten :|

Also to add, I think its not a good idea to target specific question types for LGs, because the questions tend to increase in difficulty as you get to the end

So how do yuo think i can avoid this ?

Regarding what you last said, I've actually thought lately that doing the universal questions first might actually be the best idea ... since it allows you to figure out the deductions. Thoughts on that ?

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Back to first page ...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”