February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ambitious1

Bronze

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by Ambitious1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:26 pm

DLA wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:are we allowed to bring mechanical pencils to the test? or strictly wooden?
They are pretty strict about wooden pencils. I wouldn't carry any mechanical ones just because I don't want to create any last minute anxieties.

On another note, did no LSAT stuff the whole morning. Just lay in bed and looked at covers for the Samsung Galaxy s3. Going to drill some LR, reread the RC bible and probably do the zones game again and then bed at 10:30pm.

Ahh I hope this works out well!
I have one more question, sorry, this is my 1st go around with the lsat :)

Will lsac accept a black and white picture if I attach it to my admissions ticket? Or does it have to be in color? Thanks again for your help

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Only bring what it says you can bring on the form.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
DLA wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:are we allowed to bring mechanical pencils to the test? or strictly wooden?
They are pretty strict about wooden pencils. I wouldn't carry any mechanical ones just because I don't want to create any last minute anxieties.

On another note, did no LSAT stuff the whole morning. Just lay in bed and looked at covers for the Samsung Galaxy s3. Going to drill some LR, reread the RC bible and probably do the zones game again and then bed at 10:30pm.

Will lsac accept a black and white picture if I attach it to my admissions ticket? Or does it have to be in color? Thanks again for your help
http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/photo-requirements.asp for reference, but I think it has to be color.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Did PTs 66 and 68 last night/this morning (i.e., after midnight). Scored a 172 and a 171, respectively. Completely destroyed my confidence. 66 had my worst LR section in ages and I bombed RC, and then on 68, LG and RC did me in. The last game of 68 was awful, I got to it with 15 minutes left and all of my wrong answers came from it! Thought I did well too. Ugh.

I think there is something distinctively different about LR and RC in these more recent tests. LR seems a slot sloppier / loose in language.. as in the precision that made LR so conquerable from earlier PTs is gone, and now there's numerous questions per test that have the same sort of boggling "correctness" of some of the grosser RC Qs. Meanwhile, RC has just gone nuts. Not as in hard, as in .. where the eff are they getting that inference from? This view mainly arose out of PT 68, but for real: that section had some absurd correct answer choices. The one about the warehouse stocking different stuff after the passage says that the shift to new tech will mean the elimination of "whole categories" of the publishing process, in reference to a group of changes that explicitly included the elimination of warehousing? Ridiculous. And the Q (sorry I don't have the test right in front of me) about the economic theory author's view? Ugh. Any other test, that passage would have been perceived as indifferent.

Also, fucking space colonization. I got it right, but that was some of the grossest language I've ever seen in an LR section. Most other tests, that would have been a trap AC tempting only because the language was convoluted enough to be almost incomprehensible (what the hell is an event that is likely "on a given hypothesis"? "ON a given hypothesis"?).

TLDR; I feel like there is a shift in LSAC's conception of how strictly terms should be interpreted, what ACs are appropriate in scope, and what sorts of inferences are legitimate. Does that make any sense?

I feel like I worked to learn what LSAC wanted for LR and RC Qs, was doing great (still struggled with time on RC, but was consistently getting those questions I did have the chance to answer right), and then they went, "Oh, nevermind. Remember the way you interpreted ACs back when you started studying? Yeah, go back to that." RC questions too often (not all the time, but often enough) come down to settling on a particular choice just following POE, and now the standards for elimination feel like they've changed (/are in the process of changing).

Sorry for ranting. Just super frustrated, and feel like I'm screwed for this weekend. Don't know how to finish studying; still need to do a lot more RC sections (particularly following my discovery of how terrible they are lately), but I feel like I'm now a mile behind.

Am I losing it, or does anyone relate?

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Did PTs 66 and 68 last night/this morning (i.e., after midnight). Scored a 172 and a 171, respectively. Completely destroyed my confidence. 66 had my worst LR section in ages and I bombed RC, and then on 68, LG and RC did me in. The last game of 68 was awful, I got to it with 15 minutes left and all of my wrong answers came from it! Thought I did well too. Ugh.

I think there is something distinctively different about LR and RC in these more recent tests. LR seems a slot sloppier / loose in language.. as in the precision that made LR so conquerable from earlier PTs is gone, and now there's numerous questions per test that have the same sort of boggling "correctness" of some of the grosser RC Qs. Meanwhile, RC has just gone nuts. Not as in hard, as in .. where the eff are they getting that inference from? This view mainly arose out of PT 68, but for real: that section had some absurd correct answer choices. The one about the warehouse stocking different stuff after the passage says that the shift to new tech will mean the elimination of "whole categories" of the publishing process, in reference to a group of changes that explicitly included the elimination of warehousing? Ridiculous. And the Q (sorry I don't have the test right in front of me) about the economic theory author's view? Ugh. Any other test, that passage would have been perceived as indifferent.

Also, fucking space colonization. I got it right, but that was some of the grossest language I've ever seen in an LR section. Most other tests, that would have been a trap AC tempting only because the language was convoluted enough to be almost incomprehensible (what the hell is an event that is likely "on a given hypothesis"? "ON a given hypothesis"?).

TLDR; I feel like there is a shift in LSAC's conception of how strictly terms should be interpreted, what ACs are appropriate in scope, and what sorts of inferences are legitimate. Does that make any sense?

I feel like I worked to learn what LSAC wanted for LR and RC Qs, was doing great (still struggled with time on RC, but was consistently getting those questions I did have the chance to answer right), and then they went, "Oh, nevermind. Remember the way you interpreted ACs back when you started studying? Yeah, go back to that." RC questions too often (not all the time, but often enough) come down to settling on a particular choice just following POE, and now the standards for elimination feel like they've changed (/are in the process of changing).

Sorry for ranting. Just super frustrated, and feel like I'm screwed for this weekend. Don't know how to finish studying; still need to do a lot more RC sections (particularly following my discovery of how terrible they are lately), but I feel like I'm now a mile behind.

I agree w your analysis,Rc became more word watching ,i noticed that long ago ,games became time consuming and have confusing wording,it started from test 65 from the Rc,they made the wrong answer choices like the wrong ones from LR,i noticed that long ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 pm

dusters wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:
DLA wrote:

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/photo-requirements.asp for reference, but I think it has to be color.
Thank you very much

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Did PTs 66 and 68 last night/this morning (i.e., after midnight). Scored a 172 and a 171, respectively. Completely destroyed my confidence. 66 had my worst LR section in ages and I bombed RC, and then on 68, LG and RC did me in. The last game of 68 was awful, I got to it with 15 minutes left and all of my wrong answers came from it! Thought I did well too. Ugh.

Dude, stop studying. Please. For the love of god.

Don't even look at LSATs today. Watch TV and have a beer.

You'll be fine, but relax. An extra 3 hours of studying will not help you out tomorrow. You've been one of the best people on this thread over the last few months-- don't doubt yourself. Own that test tomorrow.

KFV

New

Post by KFV » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Just to reiterate what everybody else said: stop studying. You've been studying a lot right? Round the clock? Doing lots of PTs, lots of sections? And it's not working. So the logical thing to do is try something different. Give your brain and rest and give what you've been learning an actual chance to seep in.

DLA

New

Post by DLA » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Ok so is this worrisome?

I just cant concentrate on anything LSAT. I just wanted to drill a few LR and read a couple RC strategies and I just can't focus!! I keep thinking of other things and not the test. what should I do? Should I just do nothing? or should I force myself to sit down and get maybe 25 questions done today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

It's been great doing battle with all of you guys and seeing our scores go up together. Just want to say good luck to you all. Let's kill this thing. Next time I post on this group I will be drunk.

TomThompson

New

Post by TomThompson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Just wrote PT 68. Score was a bit depressing- 165- after I got a 166 in October on PT 67.

However, I only had 4 hours of sleep last night (planning on going to bed quite early tonight)and I had to guess 6 LG questions which I went 0 for 6 on. My other PT's in the last month I've averaged around 169/170 including a 170 on PT 64. So I'm hoping this test was just a product of lack of sleep and stress. Tomorrow will be better- as long as the blizzard doesn't postpone it. Not that I would object to another week or so of prep!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. We're gonna rock it!

Stop worrying about these last minute things. I also did poorly on 66's RC - if it comes down to that on the real thing, there'll be a nice curve. That's how it works. Everyone will be fine.

iditarod

New

Post by iditarod » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Any idea how the postponed test centers will work? Will they get a different test? Will it delay scores, etc.?

PS - very sorry for all of you who have to deal with that shit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm

iditarod wrote:Any idea how the postponed test centers will work? Will they get a different test? Will it delay scores, etc.?

PS - very sorry for all of you who have to deal with that shit
Different test. They will try to release the scores at the same time but there is a chance it wont be possible.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 pm

gobosox wrote:

You'll be fine, but relax. An extra 3 hours of studying will not help you out tomorrow. You've been one of the best people on this thread over the last few months-- don't doubt yourself. Own that test tomorrow.
Gah, typed out a long response, and then my internet died. Basically: thank you, you're right, and I am so freaking sleep deprived I have no choice but to heed your advice. Except instead of a beer, I'm headed to bed at 7:30 PM. Exciting evening.

Going to try to wake up early tomorrow and do a couple of warmup sections; I guess I'm done for the night. Just freaked out because I haven't done anywhere near the prep I should have, and I know that my score will consequently not reflect my potential. And what's making things so much worse is just knowing that I only had the chance to do a couple of the most recent PTs, found them to be notably different, and yet did not have the chance to figure out how they differ and how I might need to change my method in response (which is particularly troubling given that I already didn't have a great plan of attack for RC before it seemed to take a turn).

I promise I really am done studying for the night, but any advice or thoughts from anyone regarding the most recent RCs and LRs would be great. Learning that people consider the most recent LGs to be more hypo-intensive was a major help, and I'm hoping people have noticed a similarly consistent shift in the recent RC (and to a lesser extent, LR) sections that could help me attempt to regain my footing before going into the test.

Anything, people. I just need to know I'm not crazy and/or totally suck at RC (well, I do, but I don't want to suck this bad). :shock:

Anyway, I'll stop tired rambling. If I don't post before tomorrow morning, I wish everybody the best of luck, and thank you all for all of your help. It's been lovely studying with you- hope to see you all in the inevitable February waiting thread!

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
gobosox wrote:

Gah, typed out a long response, and then my internet died. Basically: thank you, you're right, and I am so freaking sleep deprived I have no choice but to heed your advice. Except instead of a beer, I'm headed to bed at 7:30 PM. Exciting evening.

Going to try to wake up early tomorrow and do a couple of warmup sections; I guess I'm done for the night. Just freaked out because I haven't done anywhere near the prep I should have, and I know that my score will consequently not reflect my potential. And what's making things so much worse is just knowing that I only had the chance to do a couple of the most recent PTs, found them to be notably different, and yet did not have the chance to figure out how they differ and how I might need to change my method in response (which is particularly troubling given that I already didn't have a great plan of attack for RC before it seemed to take a turn).

I promise I really am done studying for the night, but any advice or thoughts from anyone regarding the most recent RCs and LRs would be great. Learning that people consider the most recent LGs to be more hypo-intensive was a major help, and I'm hoping people have noticed a similarly consistent shift in the recent RC (and to a lesser extent, LR) sections that could help me attempt to regain my footing before going into the test.

Anything, people. I just need to know I'm not crazy and/or totally suck at RC (well, I do, but I don't want to suck this bad). :shock:

Anyway, I'll stop tired rambling. If I don't post before tomorrow morning, I wish everybody the best of luck, and thank you all for all of your help. It's been lovely studying with you- hope to see you all in the inevitable February waiting thread!
A couple of warmup sections? You are crazy man... I would advise against that. Maybe do one game and one reading passage or you might tire yourself out before the test even starts.

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 pm

I have a question. I have the flu, and unfortunately will be taking the test in this condition. I get dehydrated easily, will I be able to keep a water bottle on my desk during the exam? I know under normal circumstances they don't let you until break time, but..I don't want to die :) I suppose I'll explain the situation to the proctors before the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:I have a question. I have the flu, and unfortunately will be taking the test in this condition. I get dehydrated easily, will I be able to keep a water bottle on my desk during the exam? I know under normal circumstances they don't let you until break time, but..I don't want to die :) I suppose I'll explain the situation to the proctors before the exam.
oct/dec taker here. ^to answer this question, it will depend on your proctors. my oct ones were super strict; my dec ones not so much.

just wanted to chime in to say good luck to all of you! it looks like y'all have been busting your asses, so take the night off and try to get some sleep. go in tomorrow relaxed and focused, just like practice, and try not to psych yourselves out. best of luck! :)

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I withdrew my test,i wish u all of u the best of luck tmr,i just cant do this,i know i wouldnt sleep at night and taking in June seems to be better option for me.

2x2Matrix

Bronze

Post by 2x2Matrix » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow =).

Agree with a few post above not to do entire sections as warm-up. A game, a passage, and first 10 LR is what I'm going to warm up to.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Stupid snow storm closed my test center... and now I assume I'm going to have to deal with a ghost of February past. I guess this is a legit reason for not disclosing every test, after all.

Anyone have an idea how they'll evaluate our performance? Do you think they'll score us (rescheduled test takers) against only our group, or will they base it on the old test's curve (assuming that they give us an old test indeed)? I'm theorizing that if they do the former, the curve might be brutal since there seems to be a concentration of high LSAT averaging undergrads in the affected regions.

This is kind of annoying. I just wanted to get it over with already.

BTW, good luck to those taking the test tomorrow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 pm

facile princeps wrote:Stupid snow storm closed my test center... and now I assume I'm going to have to deal with a ghost of February past. I guess this is a legit reason for not disclosing every test, after all.

Anyone have an idea how they'll evaluate our performance? Do you think they'll score us (rescheduled test takers) against only our group, or will they base it on the old test's curve (assuming that they give us an old test indeed)? I'm theorizing that if they do the former, the curve might be brutal since there seems to be a concentration of high LSAT averaging undergrads in the affected regions.

This is kind of annoying. I just wanted to get it over with already.

BTW, good luck to those taking the test tomorrow!
Predetermined would be my guess. Good luck everyone tomorrow, see you on the other side!

beaver93

New

Post by beaver93 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:35 am

Went to bed at midnight and the test was still on. Woke up at 6:00 am and it had been canceled. Fantastic.

DLA

New

Post by DLA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Great. Test canceled NINETEEN minutes before it was to take place. GREAT. Well, are we looking at next Saturday now?

beaver93

New

Post by beaver93 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 pm

DLA wrote:Great. Test canceled NINETEEN minutes before it was to take place. GREAT. Well, are we looking at next Saturday now?
IDK. My school and test center is closed for ten days for a break. The ten days happen to cover the next two Saturdays so I may be waiting a while.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”