February 2013 LSAT Study Group

gobosox

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby gobosox » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm

mmuchix wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm just going to start stuyding for the test. I have the bibles but haven't started reading them yet. Any suggestions for a study schedule and any outline I could follow. I am also thinking on taking the powerscore test prep in Miami during January, anyone doing the same?

Also, what are the chanches of taking the feb lsat and applying for this upcoming cycle. Will T14 schools wait for feb lsat scores?

Thanks!!!

They may, but your chances are way better if you wait till next cycle.

There's a number of study guides on tls. I suggest you look around. Pithy pike is quite popular though I haven't done that exact method.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 am

gobosox wrote:Took PT 41 today... 170, -12. I went -5 on RC, which killed me, -2 on games, and -2/-3 on LR.

Disappointing that I'm not seeing a lot of improvement yet, but working on it. Going to try and review some tomorrow.

170 for PT41 isnt bad at all, as I think it is considered one of the harder tests. If you're still feeling the pain on the RC, the Manhattan guide did wonders for me.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:13 am

Well about 2 weeks of studying in the books for me now. I finshed the LGB, Manhattan RC, and am almost done with the LRB. Also have done RC sections from PT 7, 9, and 10. Next week going to start LG and LR drilling by question type while referring back to bibles when needed. Planning to do Superprep A at the end of the month to get a baseline score to go off of, as I did not see a point in taking a cold diagnostic with zero studying.

Overall im still modifying my exact study plan as I go a little bit, but I think I have something solid down now. My 20 hours a week goal is going to basically consume my entire life, but if I can do it 2 weeks in a row then I can man up and do it for about 13 more.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:43 pm

TheThriller wrote:
gobosox wrote:Took PT 41 today... 170, -12. I went -5 on RC, which killed me, -2 on games, and -2/-3 on LR.

Disappointing that I'm not seeing a lot of improvement yet, but working on it. Going to try and review some tomorrow.

170 for PT41 isnt bad at all, as I think it is considered one of the harder tests. If you're still feeling the pain on the RC, the Manhattan guide did wonders for me.

I'm VERY happy to hear this. RC is a killer for me.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Random question: If a school stops accepting applications in February, can an applicant apply with their current LSAT score right before the deadline and hope that the new one updates before the school get a chance to reject them? Or will the school accept the application and just hold off reviewing it until the new score updates?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 pm

TheThriller wrote:

Yeah I read that guide and it didn't help me much, but maybe I should go through it again now that I've been PTing fairly regularly-- thanks for the tip. I'm also going to really work with SuperPrep a lot, as I feel it'll be a very good resource.

It's much harder for me to see weaknesses in RC, since a lot of it is just finding the right proof in the passage and doing it in a timely manner.

lebasy

Postby lebasy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Just took Superprep C & got a 160. I haven't tested since October 19 and this is the highest I've gotten! I've a ways to go especially with LR. For some reasons the Games threw me :evil: Going to drill some Parallel and Parallel Flaw. Any suggestions on how to hone in on the parallel questions?

FlyingColors

Postby FlyingColors » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm currently working full time and studying for the 2013 February LSAT.

Hoping to find a dedicated study buddy who is aiming to score 170+. I hope to go through preptests, drills, or any specific question types with a study buddy either on the phone or via skype/google hangout, as I believe this is a great way to review and verbalize our thought processes/understand mistakes.

Please contact me if you are interested! Let's keep each other motivated!

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 pm

lebasy wrote:Just took Superprep C & got a 160. I haven't tested since October 19 and this is the highest I've gotten! I've a ways to go especially with LR. For some reasons the Games threw me :evil: Going to drill some Parallel and Parallel Flaw. Any suggestions on how to hone in on the parallel questions?

My scores have varied from 159-172, on timed PTs, so don't discourage! Keep at it and you'll improve. Parallel questions for me actually work the LESS I think. I find that when I think a lot about them I think TOO much. Just find the flaw or the pattern of reasoning and look for the same in the answer.
FlyingColors wrote:I'm currently working full time and studying for the 2013 February LSAT.

Hoping to find a dedicated study buddy who is aiming to score 170+. I hope to go through preptests, drills, or any specific question types with a study buddy either on the phone or via skype/google hangout, as I believe this is a great way to review and verbalize our thought processes/understand mistakes.

That's a very interesting idea-- I'd be down to do something like that as long as it's scheduled once or twice a week, perhaps after full PTs. All people involved can ask about questions they starred or didn't get right. Can't do it more than that though since I do most of my studying in a local library. I, too, am working full time while trying to study, so as I'm sure you know, time constraints suckkkkkk. I envy those still in college who want to study...

lebasy

Postby lebasy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm

griffin.811 wrote:LG: -12 :shock: PT9 S3 G1-4
RC: -1 (only completed one passage, untimed)

Really need to focus on grouping! I think this entire games section was grouping, whether in/out matching or splitting.

Anyone know how to use LSATQA? I inserted my section results last night and I'm trying to view the "detailed results" ut when I click on it, I just get a screen in plain text with a bunch of answer choices a-e.

Lsatqa can be glitchy at times. The first time I used it it didn't enter any of my answers try it again. It should show you all te answers with the correct one in blue when u go in detail & show question type & difficulty.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Day one:

I took my first PT to see where I am in comparison to when I actually took the test a few years ago. 162. This is very close to the score I got when I took the test 3 years ago without preparation, so it is at least safe to say that is a very strong baseline score for me. Now, to improve it!

PT #49
LG: -0 (yay!)
LR1: -9 (boooooo)
RC: -6
LR2: -4

LR1 MURDERED me.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 am

Back after a weekend hiatus. Just finished timed LG section from PT 10, went -3. Personal best for me by far on any games section!

Did a bunch of review games first to warm up. Really pleased but still have a long way to go with games.

For anyone struggling with games, stick with it!! I was really (internally) questioning just how "learn-able" games were, but as I went through the games this time, I felt they were a little too easy. Finished the first 2 in 5-6 min each, and made 2 dumb mistakes, 1 real one on last 2 games. I think the last games section I took, either last week or 2 weeks ago, I only got half correct.

Again, still a long way to go, but improvement is definitely visible!

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 am

Took PT54 yesterday ended up with a 172:

PT54:
RC: -3
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -3

Plugged the test into LSATQA and it turns out I missed all "Role" type questions and and a "Parallel" question.

Today:

Drilled a few games and focused on Role and Parallel questions: Went -1 on each of my drilling sections, ran into some hard questions. While I am not 100% bummed, I wish I had nailed the sections to reassure myself. Tomorrow I will be drilling assumptions, flaws and digging into more in-depth RC prep. My goal is to be hitting pure drilling/PTs by December. Will be taking about 2 PTs a week up until the test!

Almost at the 2 month mark! Lets make these days count!

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:10 am

Update, my books just arrived so I started studying yesterday. Doing the Manhattan books and drilling. I'll be doing a practice test every other day in January-February. It ends up being like 16 PTs.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:48 pm

gobosox wrote:
lebasy wrote:Just took Superprep C & got a 160. I haven't tested since October 19 and this is the highest I've gotten! I've a ways to go especially with LR. For some reasons the Games threw me :evil: Going to drill some Parallel and Parallel Flaw. Any suggestions on how to hone in on the parallel questions?

My scores have varied from 159-172, on timed PTs, so don't discourage! Keep at it and you'll improve. Parallel questions for me actually work the LESS I think. I find that when I think a lot about them I think TOO much. Just find the flaw or the pattern of reasoning and look for the same in the answer.
FlyingColors wrote:I'm currently working full time and studying for the 2013 February LSAT.

That's a very interesting idea-- I'd be down to do something like that as long as it's scheduled once or twice a week, perhaps after full PTs. All people involved can ask about questions they starred or didn't get right. Can't do it more than that though since I do most of my studying in a local library. I, too, am working full time while trying to study, so as I'm sure you know, time constraints suckkkkkk. I envy those still in college who want to study...

Also down for this. Working full time as well, so once or twice a week would be perfect. looking to start taking PT's consistently Dec. 1 (using the rest of this month to do specific work). Also have not scored very high on previous PT's, but have seen significant improvements since taking them (have only taken 2). Let me know when you start!

lebasy

Postby lebasy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Yesterday took Superprep B. I shouldn't have because I remembered some questions so this isn't really reflective of my progress, I feel.

LR1: -3
LG: -4
RC: -10 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
LR2: -5

I took PT 19 LR2: -8 as a warm up and I took LG Prep C as a re-do for my experimental with a -3.

I'm really bummed about my RC. I realized that since I haven't been drilling for it. and perhaps it's time to start.

I'm going over B today and I kind of want to get through another PT but I know I should hold off and review some mistakes first. I want to finish all my LR sections in my lesson books by December so I can also be pure drilling and PTing by December comes.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Amazon Gods sent me my Manhattan books a week before the predicted delivery date. Now I can study over Thanksgiving. Hooray!

180wanabe

Postby 180wanabe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:10 am

Checking in, going to officially start studying for the LSAT tomorrow. I am doing a retake and am hoping to jump from a 158 to a 170. Crazy, right? Well, let's see if I can make magic happen.

lebasy

Postby lebasy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Going through Manhattan Nec/Suff questions....

Probably going to do PT 31 tmrw.

Question though: when doing conditional logic, and lets say and "and" statement is negated, it becomes an "or" statement, yes?

TUICE

Postby TUICE » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Figured I would check in, I'm an October retaker. I have some apps out this cycle but I'm banking on breaking 170 this time so t14 is realistic.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:35 pm

I took PT 59 today (EX 13, S1).

Raw: 87, 170.

Anyone else take it?

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 am

lebasy wrote:Going through Manhattan Nec/Suff questions....

Probably going to do PT 31 tmrw.

Question though: when doing conditional logic, and lets say and "and" statement is negated, it becomes an "or" statement, yes?

you should ask this on the main forum. i don't think you have it quite right.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Has anyone considered making lifestyle changes to try to improve your LSAT score? I'm considering finally taking care of my low B12 levels and maybe starting to exercise so that I won't have to rely on caffeine to be energized throughout the test. Better my diet to increase focus. I'm typically too busy/lazy to worry about diet and exercise, but anything to maximize test day results, right?

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:26 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Has anyone considered making lifestyle changes to try to improve your LSAT score? I'm considering finally taking care of my low B12 levels and maybe starting to exercise so that I won't have to rely on caffeine to be energized throughout the test. Better my diet to increase focus. I'm typically too busy/lazy to worry about diet and exercise, but anything to maximize test day results, right?

Amazing what things like that do for mental focus.

But you should do it because it will make you a better person overall, not for the LSAT...

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:11 pm

PT 35 today. -11, 171

LR -2/-3
LG -4 (ouch)
RC -2 (yay!..but 50 minutes)

Misunderstood a rule and went -3 on a logic game. I'm happy with the RC score but it was untimed. I really struggle with RC timing and it's starting to worry me. Going to take another PT on Tuesday and use the velocity method to cover the answers with sticknotes and write out what I think is correct. Anyone else have any pointers on RC timing besides drilling and pre-phrasing?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”