February 2013 LSAT Study Group

griffin.811

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 am

gobosox wrote:Took PT 68 Today. 93/101, 174.

Really disappointed...

-4 RC
-2 combined LR
-2 LG

Had 20 minutes left going into the last game and got smacked by it. I haven't had a game like that in a long while. Anyone else think a) 68's RC was really hard or b) it's 4th game (articles) was hard? It seemed like such a simple game but once I went into the questions they were all so general...

you finished 3 games in 15 min!? :shock: Did you sell your soul!? that's amazing!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

I am freaking out over this test. I don't know what's happening, but all of a sudden my logic games scores are awful. I got -6 on a PT last night (60). I don't know what to do! LR is pretty solid and RC finally seems to be improving, and suddenly I'm losing all of my points on LG! I feel like there's not enough time to get back to where I was.. but I guess I probably was never as solid as I thought. I want to just be spending this week doing PTs, and now I'm returning to Manhattan LG. UGH. What to do?

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

Tough game if interested: PT23 G3

Maybe just time consuming, making a few inferences def goes a long way for this one.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I am freaking out over this test. I don't know what's happening, but all of a sudden my logic games scores are awful. I got -6 on a PT last night (60). I don't know what to do! LR is pretty solid and RC finally seems to be improving, and suddenly I'm losing all of my points on LG! I feel like there's not enough time to get back to where I was.. but I guess I probably was never as solid as I thought. I want to just be spending this week doing PTs, and now I'm returning to Manhattan LG. UGH. What to do?

Are you just now breaching the 60s? Consensus is the late 50s and 60s are more hypo-intensive and time consuming. A lot of people save the 60s for the final week, unfortunately.

The good news is there is nothing truly new in any of the games. You know how to solve them.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Just finished PT 66 (the only fresh test I had left after taking the LSAT in December)

RC -2
LR1 -0
LG -2
LR2 -1

I'm really excited about this score since it's one of the best I have ever gotten, including on tests I retook after having taken months ago. Looks like my LR drilling has been paying off. I really hope this wasn't a fluke - I would be overjoyed to get this score on test day.

Also, did anyone else find PT 66's LG section pretty time consuming?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I am freaking out over this test. I don't know what's happening, but all of a sudden my logic games scores are awful. I got -6 on a PT last night (60). I don't know what to do! LR is pretty solid and RC finally seems to be improving, and suddenly I'm losing all of my points on LG! I feel like there's not enough time to get back to where I was.. but I guess I probably was never as solid as I thought. I want to just be spending this week doing PTs, and now I'm returning to Manhattan LG. UGH. What to do?

Are you just now breaching the 60s? Consensus is the late 50s and 60s are more hypo-intensive and time consuming. A lot of people save the 60s for the final week, unfortunately.

The good news is there is nothing truly new in any of the games. You know how to solve them.

I am, is that a mistake? Do I need to be adjusting my strategy? I'm definitely running down on time, and making stupid mistakes in the process. Any tips?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

You should expose yourself to the games in the 60s right away and drill them. These are your most valuable learning tools and shouldn't be used as mere diagnostics.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 pm

dusters

Postby dusters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Took PT 40 today. Wish I would have know I did all the LG already in the Manhattan 10 games grouped by type and all of the RC already in their guide. The book says 41-50 but I guess 40 is also included. I had never done any of the LR questions to my knowledge though.

Originally I got -3 on LG and -4 on RC.

This time around

24/25 LR
21/23 LG
23/26 LR
27/27 RC but I could remember a decent amount of these questions

original score of 90/101 for a 169 to an improvement to 95/101 for a 174

Only have PT 68 left now, going to do that on Thursday and take it easy on Friday with just a little bit of drilling.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

I've been feeling the same way. Whereas I was really good at making inferences and deducing broad schemes of games, all the questions are these damn local questions that make me draw out 30 hypotheticals a game. It's insane! I ran out of time on PT 62's LG today. That's NEVER happened to me.

Anyone have any advice?!?!?!?

dusters

Postby dusters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh and I used LG 57 for my experimental, the one with the dinosaur game. Didn't really think it was significantly harder than other games. Once you figure out the big inference with the colors it it actually pretty easy. I did however hate the connected airlines game from PT 40. First time I did it I got a -3, got a -1 this time but I had 18 minutes left to do the game.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:02 pm

PT 62:

RC: -1
LR: -0
LG: -7 :evil:

94/102=175

I am extremely flustered over LG. This was a brutal section, primarily because of stained glass, but -7 is still totally unacceptable. I thought I could go 3 or fewer on the most difficult logic games sections, but today was a wake-up call. I think I could reliably be -2 or fewer on most games sections, but one with a brutal game is clearly a chink in my armor. I've got work to do. Overall, I thought this was a very challenging test. LG were the driving force for -14 curve, but none of the other sections were easy or even below average in my opinion. RC seemed average, and LR above average, though I have definitely seen harder LR.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

gobosox wrote:

I've been feeling the same way. Whereas I was really good at making inferences and deducing broad schemes of games, all the questions are these damn local questions that make me draw out 30 hypotheticals a game. It's insane! I ran out of time on PT 62's LG today. That's NEVER happened to me.

Anyone have any advice?!?!?!?

You can take at least a little comfort in the fact that it was an unusually difficult LG section for a post-40 PT. Going into today it had been a while since I had missed more than 3 on a LG's, and I missed 7. Pretty flustered over it.

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm

ws81086n wrote:PT 62:

94/102=175

I am extremely flustered over LG. This was a brutal section, primarily because of stained glass, but -7 is still totally unacceptable. I thought I could go 3 or fewer on the most difficult logic games sections, but today was a wake-up call. I think I could reliably be -2 or fewer on most games sections, but one with a brutal game is clearly a chink in my armor. I've got work to do. Overall, I thought this was a very challenging test. LG were the driving force for -14 curve, but none of the other sections were easy or even below average in my opinion. RC seemed average, and LR above average, though I have definitely seen harder LR.

I drilled this LG section today: where did you go wrong? I missed 1 outright, and didn't have time for another - I've been a -0 on my last like 40+ individual LGs (10 sections plus some drills) so it surprised me. I'm thinking tomorrow I will do most of the LG sections from 61-67...

Stained glass-wise: I was having trouble and then I hit on a certain relationship between the 2 rose rule and the none can be without both purple and orange rule. Once I realized a connection there, I flew threw some hypos and finished out the section well.

Jcastro1

Postby Jcastro1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 pm

PT 67 for me tomorrow. PT 68 Thursday. Drill/relax Friday. I'm going into this with a 171.5 cumulative average and a 174.6 average on the last 5 tests. I'd be happy with any score in that range.

Let's kill this shit.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Instinctive wrote:

94/102=175

I drilled this LG section today: where did you go wrong? I missed 1 outright, and didn't have time for another - I've been a -0 on my last like 40+ individual LGs (10 sections plus some drills) so it surprised me. I'm thinking tomorrow I will do most of the LG sections from 61-67...

Stained glass-wise: I was having trouble and then I hit on a certain relationship between the 2 rose rule and the none can be without both purple and orange rule. Once I realized a connection there, I flew threw some hypos and finished out the section well.

I didn't make that deduction or any others really, other than taking the contras and connecting rules. I tried the second question and sputtered, ditto the third, at which point I got really flustered and it seems like it was all over for me on that game from there. My hypos kept running into problems.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

chickpea wrote:Just finished PT 66 (the only fresh test I had left after taking the LSAT in December)

RC -2
LR1 -0
LG -2
LR2 -1

I'm really excited about this score since it's one of the best I have ever gotten, including on tests I retook after having taken months ago. Looks like my LR drilling has been paying off. I really hope this wasn't a fluke - I would be overjoyed to get this score on test day.

i did 66 today also, as part of a 6 section marathon. good idea that some have suggested here, my 1st time trying it. feel it will help build endurance

my results were

RC -0
LR1 -2
LG -1
LR2 -3

had a terrible miss on LG, but my RC has improved phenomenally so I'm not complaining

feel like I am peaking at the right time!

we got this guys

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm

ws81086n wrote:
Instinctive wrote:

94/102=175

I didn't make that deduction or any others really, other than taking the contras and connecting rules. I tried the second question and sputtered, ditto the third, at which point I got really flustered and it seems like it was all over for me on that game from there. My hypos kept running into problems.

Took 2 back-to-back tests today (62+63) with a 10 minute break after the 4th section. Hopefully after taking an 8-section PT, a 5-section PT will seem like cake. Got a 167 and 171, respectively. Pretty bad, considering the 3 or 4 PTs before that I averaged just over 175 (176, 176, 174). Hoping it was because they were 8-section PTs where I bombed both LG (-7 combined between the two).

I went through the games and reviewed them. Took comfort in the fact that on the test Saturday I will have space to make a "hypo section" where I write all hypos and can build off of each other. Games like that seem to need multiple hypos, so thank god they rearranged the pages to give us more room. I have found all the recent games to be rediculously easy (i.e. finishing it in 3-4 minutes) or insanely hard (taking 15-20 minutes...)

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 pm

I am drilling 10 questions from each LR type,
4 Rc passages
4 Games
Today and tomr,do u guys think that this will sharpen my skills to handle the test 68 on Thursday?

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 pm

chickpea wrote:Just finished PT 66 (the only fresh test I had left after taking the LSAT in December)

RC -2
LR1 -0
LG -2
LR2 -1

I liked your score ,u made a major improvement,do u think that two days of intense drilling can have a significant impact on my score?

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 pm

for LG grouping games, sometimes the obvious way to group things can make it very difficult.

see PT 52, game 2

basically 6 students are grouped between 3 teachers, and each teacher takes exactly two students

it seems obvious that using the 3 teachers as the base is the proper way to go, but the game is much easier if you use the students as the base.

i've been seeing this a lot, overall its 50/50. sometimes the obvious way works out great. other times, it can cost a lot of time.

my question is, which route do u guys take, and why? is it impulse, or is there a science behind it

dusters

Postby dusters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 pm

overperformer wrote:for LG grouping games, sometimes the obvious way to group things can make it very difficult.

see PT 52, game 2

basically 6 students are grouped between 3 teachers, and each teacher takes exactly two students

it seems obvious that using the 3 teachers as the base is the proper way to go, but the game is much easier if you use the students as the base.

i've been seeing this a lot, overall its 50/50. sometimes the obvious way works out great. other times, it can cost a lot of time.

my question is, which route do u guys take, and why? is it impulse, or is there a science behind it

I'd say look at the rules and then decide which one you think fits better.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Ace-LSAT-Logic-Ga ... 0974853364

Has anyone tried this book? I gotta say, it's not bad at all, despite the fact that half of its practice games were constructed by the company and are not official. Pretty glad I ordered it. Non-official games are quite passable.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

natashka85 wrote:

RC -2
LR1 -0
LG -2
LR2 -1

I liked your score ,u made a major improvement,do u think that two days of intense drilling can have a significant impact on my score?

Drilling definitely helped me a ton though I spent about a week and a half just focusing on drilling LR questions by type (I was only doing two or so hours a day though). I'm pretty confident that drilling LR will help you as well. I would recommend skimming the Manhattan LR guide (a digital version is available online for immediate download, albeit for a price). After that I would drill as much as you can (within reason)during these next two days and try to fit in one more PT if you can. Good luck!

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am

Sat for the June 2012 LSAT - 167
Took PT 66 today - 175

my body is ready.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”