February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Instinctive

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Instinctive » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am

gobosox wrote:
Instinctive wrote:Can someone direct me to "noodleyone" 's method?

The search function at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, wondered why there wasn't a search bar near the top per usual. Bottom's a bit of an odd place to put it...

Another PT, 170. I'm almost through the full LG Bible though, and partway through the LR. When I finish each and hone in on my problem questions, I'm expecting I'll be able to see some improvement fairly quickly.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

checking in.
RC-2 (missed one stupid mistake which i knew was wrong but i picked up)

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Zoomie wrote:I guess I am in for third and fin retake. I have done powerscore books, manhattan. I am just not improving. I've read Noodleys and am going to just PT until the test. I'm supposed to take an online class starting next week. I hope it helps. I have a waitlist to get off!

Have you tried Noodleyone's method or just read it? I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but I've found reading chapters of Manhattan LR and then drilling with Cambridge packets is helpful. What class are you planning on taking?

I am taking an online prep through LSAT Sensei. It was recommended by a TLSer. I'll check out the cambridge packets as well.

TomThompson

Postby TomThompson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:53 am

October retaker here (166), aiming for 170+. Starting to study more intensively now that school has started.

The only 'fresh' material I have left is PT 39-51, so in the next week or so I'm going to start working on those, 3-4 per week, and hopefully repeat 60-67 near the end.

At the moment I've been focusing on getting through Manhattan LR and drilling intensively. I didn't make use of the books or drilling at all the first time, so I'm hoping this will help to shore up my weak points in LR. I may go through the Manhattan RC book as well, because I went -6 in October in RC. LG is fairly standard, I'm comfortable with the setups (used both Powerscores and Manhattan) so I'm trying to work on speed and consistency.

I'll submit PT updates as they happen.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:51 pm

who else is spending their saturday night studying for the lsat? :shock:

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm

overperformer wrote:who else is spending their saturday night studying for the lsat? :shock:

If it makes you feel any better I am and I'm not even taking it until June.
Last edited by eric922 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 pm

eric922 wrote:
overperformer wrote:who else is spending their saturday night studying for the lsat? :shock:

If it makes you feel any better I am and I'm not even take it until June.

+1. Once you are into your dream school after a killer LSAT, party then.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 pm

eric922 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better I am and I'm not even taking it until June.

good job man.

i don't feel bad. highly motivated. just annoying that 42342134 people are blowing up my phone.

people didnt take me seriously when i told em "unless someone dies, dont contact me before feb 9"

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 pm

weathercoins wrote:
eric922 wrote:

yes thats the idea!

at this point i can do LG's in my sleep, but cannot do RC when i'm awake.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 pm

overperformer wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
eric922 wrote:

yes thats the idea!

at this point i can do LG's in my sleep, but cannot do RC when i'm awake.

I have the opposite problem. LG's are killing my score.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:03 am

eric,

we should test at the same center, and switch tests for these sections.

but, you should check this site out, http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

the guy walks through every game, and its free.

pretty good. he misses an inference here and there, but makes many inferences that i was missing

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:19 am

One section of LR(did really bad ,was tired after working two days)
LR-6 (after improving again started missing questions)
when things like this happen ,i wonder if i should tae this in Feb.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 am

LG -3, really happy to finally see some improvement since LG seems to be the hardest section for me!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 am

Took PT 43, got a 175 (-7, RS: 94; new high score!). So that was neat. Went -0 on two separate sections for the first time ever (LR1 and LG), and this marks three PTs in a row with -0 LG sections. I have no idea what's going on, I haven't drilled logic games in weeks and I used to do them obsessively.. something just clicked? I think the key has been not wasting too much time with initial diagrams and inferences, and moving on when I've found a correct answer.

But (and I acknowledge that this is ridiculous), the better I do on PTs, the more.. er, paralyzed I get in my studying. That is, each successful practice test makes me more nervous in taking the next one, so I'm even more tempted to procrastinate.. It's like I'm afraid one bad PT is going to mean I haven't been progressing at all. Ugh, I've come down with a case of LSAT perfectionism. >.< I'm afraid that I'm just going to be a mess of anxiety when the actual test day comes and bomb it. I'm glad to be making progress, but it seems like that stakes just get higher. Anyone have tips for practice test / actual test day nerves? I would tell myself this is just PT 69, but unfortunately this is undisclosed! Maybe we can call this SuperPrep D. :wink:

Also, damn RC! Damn it to hell. PT 43 RC was -5, and this was after drilling individual RC sections (had my first -0 RC section [PT 9] in two months, so that was great). I either waste too much time reading and then end up being sloppy and rushing through Qs at the end or just plain guessing, or I read at an okay pace and just end up making super stupid mistakes and/or having main conceptual points go over my head. I don't know what's happening! Tried looking back at Manhattan RC with no luck. Feel like there's some consistency to the way my RC sections go wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is. =\ Know the feeling?

Just going to keep doing practice tests and individual RC sections for now.. btw, if anyone is ever interested in going over PTs together, send me a PM. I'd love a study buddy.

Sorry for the crazy long update. How's everyone doing these days?

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:03 am

scotth724 wrote:LG -3, really happy to finally see some improvement since LG seems to be the hardest section for me!

Everyone keeps telling me that after enough drilling you should be at -0 simply because they are the logic behind them is repetitive. So far I've had no luck, but I'm glad you're doing better.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:09 am

eric922 wrote:
scotth724 wrote:LG -3, really happy to finally see some improvement since LG seems to be the hardest section for me!

Everyone keeps telling me that after enough drilling you should be at -0 simply because they are the logic behind them is repetitive. So far I've had no luck, but I'm glad you're doing better.

I was the same way. I really don't know what happened. Think a lot of it really did just come with time and familiarity.

Do you see any consistency in what's going wrong in your LG sections? Do you notice your wrong answers are frequently due to mistakes, or a lack of time? Are you not making enough inferences? Once you can spot your worst problems, LG is easier to fix than any other section. You really are lucky if LG is your worst section, because it's inevitable that you can fix it with careful practice and enough time.

What books or methods are you currently using / have you used?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:19 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
eric922 wrote:

I was the same way. I really don't know what happened. Think a lot of it really did just come with time and familiarity.

Do you see any consistency in what's going wrong in your LG sections? Do you notice your wrong answers are frequently due to mistakes, or a lack of time? Are you not making enough inferences? Once you can spot your worst problems, LG is easier to fix than any other section. You really are lucky if LG is your worst section, because it's inevitable that you can fix it with careful practice and enough time.

What books or methods are you currently using / have you used?

Thanks! I think for me it's honestly just a matter of me getting more familiar with everything. I've only been studying since like a week before Christmas, so I'm just figuring out how to go more quickly. And I'm definitely happy it's my worst section, as I usually go -2 on RC or less, and like -3 on LR total, so hopefully I can get up around a 175 like you! And I've only worked through both of the bibles, I had a diag in the mid 160s and for whatever reason this stuff is kind of coming naturally to me. And also I'm actually a junior in undergrad, so I'm just kinda going with the flow and taking it in Feb to hopefully get in the mid 170s so I can just relax until having to apply, so if I'm not happy with my score I'll study more hardcore for June. And again, it seems like with the direction I'm going now a 170+ should definitely be possible.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 am

Haven't been on here since the first half of the thread so checking in. Last month was mostly drilling and I took the Superprep PTs. all in the 160's with C being a 168. Took them by sections with a strict 35 min constraint but not necessarily all in one sitting.

Today marked my first NON superprep testing. Took PT 57 + 2 sections of 53. I did 3 sections, 15 min break, then 3 sections. I will be doing this at least once a weekend for the next 4 weekends. Wednesday nights ill be taking a 5 section test.

PT57:
LG -2
LR -0
LR -1
RC -7

Score: 171 ! (Ecstatic to see 170+ on my first sit-down PT, but still a ways to go)

At first I was really bummed about the games because I have been doing so much better and think I should be able to ace them, but after finding out that this test has a notoriously hard game (dinosaurs) I feel a little better. Still they were dumb mistakes I should not have made though.

LR/RC was very surprising for me because I have really been focusing on RC and doing better. Also LR on the superpreps were usually around -4 per section. So these results were somewhat reversed, but glad to see the better score on LR.

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Have gotten to the point where I am usually 0-2 on any given LR section, but I just went -6 on PT 5, Sec 1. Shoot me. I think it's a very good section for those looking for section that will test your LR mettle, however.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm

PT 35
Games-0(finally made it)
LR-3 (still some stupid mistakes,need to be more careful)
time to watch an episode of suits and then back to RC drilling
RC-4 (disappointed missed 3 questions in the last passage just because didnt take time to properly understand everything)
Last edited by natashka85 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Took PT 43, got a 175 (-7, RS: 94; new high score!). So that was neat. Went -0 on two separate sections for the first time ever (LR1 and LG), and this marks three PTs in a row with -0 LG sections. I have no idea what's going on, I haven't drilled logic games in weeks and I used to do them obsessively.. something just clicked? I think the key has been not wasting too much time with initial diagrams and inferences, and moving on when I've found a correct answer.

But (and I acknowledge that this is ridiculous), the better I do on PTs, the more.. er, paralyzed I get in my studying. That is, each successful practice test makes me more nervous in taking the next one, so I'm even more tempted to procrastinate.. It's like I'm afraid one bad PT is going to mean I haven't been progressing at all. Ugh, I've come down with a case of LSAT perfectionism. >.< I'm afraid that I'm just going to be a mess of anxiety when the actual test day comes and bomb it. I'm glad to be making progress, but it seems like that stakes just get higher. Anyone have tips for practice test / actual test day nerves? I would tell myself this is just PT 69, but unfortunately this is undisclosed! Maybe we can call this SuperPrep D. :wink:

Also, damn RC! Damn it to hell. PT 43 RC was -5, and this was after drilling individual RC sections (had my first -0 RC section [PT 9] in two months, so that was great). I either waste too much time reading and then end up being sloppy and rushing through Qs at the end or just plain guessing, or I read at an okay pace and just end up making super stupid mistakes and/or having main conceptual points go over my head. I don't know what's happening! Tried looking back at Manhattan RC with no luck. Feel like there's some consistency to the way my RC sections go wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is. =\ Know the feeling?

Just going to keep doing practice tests and individual RC sections for now.. btw, if anyone is ever interested in going over PTs together, send me a PM. I'd love a study buddy.

Sorry for the crazy long update. How's everyone doing these days?

I really understand where you are coming from in terms of PT scores and motivation, and I'm glad to see that it's not only me who feels like that. I found that when I get a good score I don't want to write another one, but when I do poorly I want to see a good score. I got 176 on Tuesday, for my highest score ever, but only 169 on the last two (pt 55 has a mean curve though). RC is always a bitch as well, I found marking it up minimally, and a good sleep were my best methods for it.

I'm getting a bit pissed with LR, I'm having trouble going below -3. Usually its two stupid mistakes, and one that I really screwed up on. I'm going to sit down and try to find a reason for it. At least my RC has gotten better! I'm only planning on taking 10 more PTs between now and February as well, to avoid burning out with all of my schoolwork.

Jcastro1

Postby Jcastro1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:48 pm

PT45, LR1

Time to spare, -1

Hopefully a good sign. PT51 tomorrow.

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Just did PT66

RC (-0)
LR (-4)
LG (-8)
LR (-3)

Score: 167

Ughhhhhhhhh Games are killing me :(

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

kevin0201 wrote:Just did PT66

RC (-0)
LR (-4)
LG (-8)
LR (-3)

Find out what game types are killing you and drill that type. Use LSATQA.com

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 am

gobosox wrote:
kevin0201 wrote:Just did PT66

RC (-0)
LR (-4)
LG (-8)
LR (-3)

Find out what game types are killing you and drill that type. Use LSATQA.com

Also, you should avoid using more recent tests until we get closer to the test date, if you haven't already exhausted earlier tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”