February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
d0rklord

Bronze

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by d0rklord » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 pm

JustinDC wrote:
d0rklord wrote:I think I'm the only Feb taker applying this cycle...??

*cricket... cricket...*

:P
Where are you applying?
Southwestern (hoping for $$, not going to lie)
Loyola, debating on PT
Pepperdine

I just want the least amount of debt possible... :X

lebasy

New

Post by lebasy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:39 am

d0rklord wrote:I just want the least amount of debt possible... :X
That's why I'm here!!! lol

in other news... I'm going back to drilling because I did more modern tests like 49 and got a 159. Kind of sad because I got a 166 last week on 42. I really got work on my LR and not slack off and the Zephyr mapping game threw me.

excuses excuses i know!

Anywhoooooooo, I did drill like a shit ton of Strengthen questions and got none of them wrong on 49. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF DRILLING. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 am

Is anyone looking for a study partner in Chicago or surrounding areas? E-mail me at gwilson@my.adler.edu if so.

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 am

*cricket... cricket...*

No-- I'm applying too. Took December test, waiting on results....prepping for Feb. :)

perplexedconfused

New

Post by perplexedconfused » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:17 pm

arkgawilson wrote:

*cricket... cricket...*

No-- I'm applying too. Took December test, waiting on results....prepping for Feb. :)

I am also applying for this cycle. Arizona State is my top choice. I am now stressing over how to complete my application AND studying as much as possible. I have my transcripts and LOR in, but need to write my personal statement. UGH!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Now that finals and semester are over, gonna start tomorrow and start drilling LR and RC immensely from 21-40.

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 pm

PT 47 today - 84 raw - 165

LR: -1/-8
RC: -6 (45 minutes)
LR: -2

I'm not entirely sure how I -1 and then -8 on LR, but it seemed like all the tough questions were in the second section. Anyone have a PT where they felt the same? Also, it seems a bit ridiculous that I went -0 on RC on my last PT and -6 here. My scores are extremely volatile. Almost every question I missed on LR and RC was I had narrowed down to the two answers. I will review this PT tonight and day off tomorrow - then PT 48 Wed.

JustinDC

New

Post by JustinDC » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 pm

loomstate wrote:PT 47 today - 84 raw - 165

I'm not entirely sure how I -1 and then -8 on LR, but it seemed like all the tough questions were in the second section. Anyone have a PT where they felt the same? Also, it seems a bit ridiculous that I went -0 on RC on my last PT and -6 here. My scores are extremely volatile. Almost every question I missed on LR and RC was I had narrowed down to the two answers. I will review this PT tonight and day off tomorrow - then PT 48 Wed.
How late was the second LR? If it was last, you need to work on endurance. Try taking 6 sections instead of 4 sections.

For example - if you were in a competitive race of 6 miles, would you practice by only running 6 miles? Like a batter on deck, he uses a weight on his bat so that its heavier, but by the time we walks up to the plate and the weight is off, it seems much lighter and easier to swing.

JustinDC

New

Post by JustinDC » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm

d0rklord wrote:
JustinDC wrote:

*cricket... cricket...*

Where are you applying?
Loyola, debating on PT
Pepperdine

The price of Law School is intimidating to most, glad you aren't scared of debt and are still pursuing what Im guessing is a dream/goal of yours?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 am

JustinDC wrote: How late was the second LR? If it was last, you need to work on endurance. Try taking 6 sections instead of 4 sections.

For example - if you were in a competitive race of 6 miles, would you practice by only running 6 miles? Like a batter on deck, he uses a weight on his bat so that its heavier, but by the time we walks up to the plate and the weight is off, it seems much lighter and easier to swing.
It was the third section. I think you may be right.. my game plan is to take three PTs every week from here on out, but in January I'm going to split one test per week into two, and take them with the other PTs, so 3 PTs but only sitting down twice a week. Great minds think alike! 8)

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:58 am

loomstate wrote:PT 47 today - 84 raw - 165

I had a similar experience myself. Sometimes one LR section could be way harder than the other.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 pm

JustinDC wrote:
d0rklord wrote:
JustinDC wrote:

*cricket... cricket...*

Where are you applying?
Loyola, debating on PT
Pepperdine

The price of Law School is intimidating to most, glad you aren't scared of debt and are still pursuing what Im guessing is a dream/goal of yours?
I have a solid job offer, for when I get out of law school...

So i just want to get in and get out, for the cheapest price possible :(

As horrible as that sounds...

I'm definitely not a t14 or bust person...

But with my 3.07 GPA... i need a HIGH LSAT to get a full ride at SW :(

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Just a quick inspirational note: I was really getting screwed on flaw questions (losing a whole point every PT on them) and drilled 10 tests worth of flaw... Got my first 5 of my first 6 questions wrong then only got one wrong for the last 7 PTs.

Drilling can work.

Also, keep in mind that while LSATQA is great at tracking general types, there are other subsets of questions you should be subtly tracking yourself-- like formal logic, certain flaws you're missing, etc etc. Keep that in mind when studying. I found I was missing questions on formal logic, so I've worked on memorizing easy diagramming techniques and it's helped me immensely. It should be second nature, like 1+1=2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustinDC

New

Post by JustinDC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

loomstate wrote:
JustinDC wrote: How late was the second LR? If it was last, you need to work on endurance. Try taking 6 sections instead of 4 sections.

It was the third section. I think you may be right.. my game plan is to take three PTs every week from here on out, but in January I'm going to split one test per week into two, and take them with the other PTs, so 3 PTs but only sitting down twice a week. Great minds think alike! 8)
That...is actually a really awesome idea...I will steal that schedule! :)

JustinDC

New

Post by JustinDC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:11 pm

JustinDC wrote:
d0rklord wrote:
JustinDC wrote:

*cricket... cricket...*

Where are you applying?
Loyola, debating on PT
Pepperdine

I have a solid job offer, for when I get out of law school...

So i just want to get in and get out, for the cheapest price possible :(

As horrible as that sounds...

I'm definitely not a t14 or bust person...

But with my 3.07 GPA... i need a HIGH LSAT to get a full ride at SW :([/quote]

What specifically is HIGH in your situation? I think GPA is important but personally (PERSONALLY!!!!!!) I think its Lsat>Interview>GPA>Softs (Extra-circulars)

I say that because when you look at the scatter plots (I know its Harvard and Yale but they make good points)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... rvard+2013
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =yale+2016

People with killer GPAs and SOLID Lsat scores are still rejected...There could be other reasons than the one I offered, but I know personality means a lot to admissions....Its getting the interview that can be the problem haha!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Looks like I'm in for the February test (for F14 cycle).

Diagnostic: 169
Perfect LG, strong LR, but surprisingly weak RC.

Study plan is going to start on Dec 26th...hopefully. Jan 1st at the latest.

I'm planning on focusing for 2 hours a day on a section, then taking a test section for that area, and then every 4th day I'll take a full test. Does that seem like a solid plan, or do you guys think I should be approaching it differently? Any help is appreciated.

(Note: I like the idea above about taking a test and splitting it in half, then adding each of those halves to other practice tests for endurance. Great idea!)

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm

JustinDC wrote:
What specifically is HIGH in your situation? I think GPA is important but personally (PERSONALLY!!!!!!) I think its Lsat>Interview>GPA>Softs (Extra-circulars)

People with killer GPAs and SOLID Lsat scores are still rejected...There could be other reasons than the one I offered, but I know personality means a lot to admissions....Its getting the interview that can be the problem haha!
Southwestern's GPA/LSAT are: 3.04-3.48 & 152-157

Since i'm BARELY in the GPA range, I'm thinking 168-170+ LSAT to get scholly $$...

I don't have any "softs" other than working for a law firm full time for 4 years..

I've also been out of school a bit, im 23... :X

It's a long shot, but I have to try!!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ws81086n

Bronze

Post by ws81086n » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:27 am

Thanks for starting this, LSAT Blog. I have a question: how much value is there in drilling RC passages? I usually miss 1-3 but I could really use to completely dominate the section in light of my troubles in LG and what I want to score. I have had a lot of trouble improving on RC.

jlx

New

Post by jlx » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 am

howdy everyone.

starting in mid-november, i decided to prep for and take the feb LSAT. i went through the powerscore LRB and LGB so far, reading the material and doing the practice problems, and have done two PTs during each weekend.

i have a demanding full-time job, and responsibilities at home, so the time i spend studying is limited, and needs to be very focused.

with that said, my highest PT was 155, and i have been hovering around 149-155, without them even being timed yet! (i am planning on taking timed PTs starting in January.)

i know i haven't drilled down on the LR question types yet, which i am planning on doing once i finish the powerscore RCB, but does anyone have any suggestions? i'm pretty comfortable with the logic games, but always seem to get around 10 wrong on each LR section, and RC section. this is pretty discouraging, but i figure i just need to put in some time to really understand all the LR question types, and i am shooting for a 165. the higher, the better, of course, but i feel like this is realistic goal for me given the amount of time left.

thanks!

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Just went through the MRC Guide and overall thought it was pretty good. Took PT 48 yesterday and though it could have been better I'm cool with how I did. LGs were really easy and though I thought the first LR was easier than the second I ended up doing better on the second. I'm ok with how I did on RC but it definitely needs to be better because thirds passages were pretty easy and I missed some db questions. This should have been a -1 or -2 max.

PT 48
LR1: -3
LG: -0
RC: -4
LR: -1

Raw Score: 93
Scaled Score: 170

Curve on this test was pretty brutal but it's understandable since it was a fairly easy test, but it really punished me for the dumb mistakes I made on LR and RC. Gonna drill the next few days and then take another PT.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:41 pm

jlx wrote:howdy everyone.

starting in mid-november, i decided to prep for and take the feb LSAT. i went through the powerscore LRB and LGB so far, reading the material and doing the practice problems, and have done two PTs during each weekend.

i have a demanding full-time job, and responsibilities at home, so the time i spend studying is limited, and needs to be very focused.

with that said, my highest PT was 155, and i have been hovering around 149-155, without them even being timed yet! (i am planning on taking timed PTs starting in January.)

i know i haven't drilled down on the LR question types yet, which i am planning on doing once i finish the powerscore RCB, but does anyone have any suggestions? i'm pretty comfortable with the logic games, but always seem to get around 10 wrong on each LR section, and RC section. this is pretty discouraging, but i figure i just need to put in some time to really understand all the LR question types, and i am shooting for a 165. the higher, the better, of course, but i feel like this is realistic goal for me given the amount of time left.

thanks!
If you're feeling rushed on your LR sections, you could try is guessing on the last 5 or so ( I would guess the same letter for each). This would allow you more time to focus on the others, and hopefully you'll get 1-2 of the ones you guessed on correctly. I'd only do this after you've tried everything else (drilling, diagramming etc...)

Try it on some PTs before test day. If it helps, use it!

Keep practicing though, I have a feeling you'll see much improvement before Feb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jlx

New

Post by jlx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:58 pm

griffin.811 wrote:

thanks!
If you're feeling rushed on your LR sections, you could try is guessing on the last 5 or so ( I would guess the same letter for each). This would allow you more time to focus on the others, and hopefully you'll get 1-2 of the ones you guessed on correctly. I'd only do this after you've tried everything else (drilling, diagramming etc...)

Keep practicing though, I have a feeling you'll see much improvement before Feb.
thanks for the advice, and encouragement.

i always seem to do well when i take specific types of questions repeatedly (for example, five weaken questions, five justify, five assumption, etc.), rather than the practice tests where they're all over the place.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:45 pm

jlx wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:

thanks!

thanks for the advice, and encouragement.

i always seem to do well when i take specific types of questions repeatedly (for example, five weaken questions, five justify, five assumption, etc.), rather than the practice tests where they're all over the place.
Thats revealing. If your thought process for answering LR questions is similar to: 1. Identify question type 2. Apply rules of that question type to the current question, you may be having difficulty recognizing the type of question you are facing at the time. In that case you could add an additional piece to your drilling. Instead of just answering the questions, write which type of question is being asked first, then answer. If you want to go to the extreme, write out the q-type, then the major rules, then the correct answer. Eventually you should get to a point where your recognition is so good you start to get bored with this. At that point I would start answering the questions regularly.

One last thing you could try would be to not apply any rules, just read and answer. Only try applying rules when you find questions particularly challenging.

Keep at it! I still have a long way to go as well!

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Long time lurker, finally signed up, both for TLS and for the Feb LSAT

Retaker here, October LSAT was 160. GPA is 4.0, so I'm aiming for 170+ to have a shot at HYS.

I've been drilling for a month now and am hoping to take my first PT this weekend!

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 pm

First PT after about a month of drilling mostly games and certain LR types I know from before would give me trouble (NA/SA/S/W/F). Goal is 172+ for Feb 9, 2013.

PT 48:

LR1: -3
LG: -2
RC: -6
LR2: -2

RS: 88
SS: 166

Strange result. I can usually do a game within 8:45 perfectly, but I guess the full section within the PT is different. RC was pretty bad, but based on my previous experience with the LSAT, I can improve this to within -1/-2 hopefully. Lots more LR drilling to do. Also, gave myself an extra few mins where needed (mainly RC) so really need to hammer down the time in the next 41 days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”