February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Fianna13

Bronze

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by Fianna13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 pm

took a break from drilling today. only did 1 section of RC today. :/ probably going to finish drilling by the end of this week then start PTing. Let's do this!

2x2Matrix

Bronze

Post by 2x2Matrix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

steel_shot wrote:
gobosox wrote:After way too long of a break, I'm back. Been drilling with Noodleyone's method, with some success.

PT 30- 96/101, 178
EXP (LR) -1
LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -0
RC -4

My former PTs were all around the 170 range. Either this was an easy test, or my drilling has paid off. Anyone else do PT 30? Was it easier for you?

Obviously RC continues to be my bane... Going to drill that mercilessly this week.
Congrats! I used Noodley's method as well and have seen some big improvements. I'm willing to bet it's improvement on your part.

Anyways, retook 59 today for a 176, beating my previous best by four points! I made a few stupid mistakes in LR and need to work on RC still, but I'm feeling good about Feb. How much do you guys think my score was inflated? I took 59 about five months ago.
The drilling really helps. I was averaging low 170s before Oct test with dips under 170 here and there. Took some time off, went through Manhattan and drilled RC, and have been consistently in mid 170s.

Steel-shot, I think when redoing PTs, the inflation isn't so much in the score, but rather in the time constraint. You'll read through RC and grasp games faster, but you still need to go through the motions with all the questions.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:45 am

LSAT officially booked. Taking it in London, UK though (so it starts at 2 pm rather than 9 am).

PT 50 tomorrow. Anyone want to discuss after?

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 am

Drilling LR by type. Worked on Flaw and Ness. Assumption tonight using the Cambridge packets. I'm starting to see why this section has been such a struggle, I'm not reading with nearly the level of detail needed to pick up the subtle differences between the passages and the answer choices. Hopefully it doesn't take longer than a month to develop a keen eye for this.

Also, registered today, for all the other last minute people.

Guess it's pretty much set in stone now. Work hard for another month, play hard after!!

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 am

griffin.811 wrote:Drilling LR by type. Worked on Flaw and Ness. Assumption tonight using the Cambridge packets. I'm starting to see why this section has been such a struggle, I'm not reading with nearly the level of detail needed to pick up the subtle differences between the passages and the answer choices. Hopefully it doesn't take longer than a month to develop a keen eye for this.

Also, registered today, for all the other last minute people.

Guess it's pretty much set in stone now. Work hard for another month, play hard after!!
I dont have those bundles but i have the tests,do u guys think i should get that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 am

gobosox wrote:
perplexedconfused wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Looking like it might be about that time...time to go to the June thread :evil: LR is devious! cant get consistently better than -6 per section. The worst part is when I review, the answers are so simple!!! I may just be moving too quickly, either that or I cant read.

I feel the same way but not giving up on February yet! I am HOPING I can improve on this between now and 2/9. Anyone have advice on how to overcome this? I also see my errors when I review and the questions do not seem that difficult, but my mind just goes on vacation when I am doing an actual PT.
Both of you need to drill question types. LR is very easy to improve on once you drill Q types. Review the Manhattan LR section first and then drill a whole "10 LSAT" book of one q-type. Use the one you're missing most on.

And for reference, my diagnostic was 158. I got a 178 on my last PT. Improvement is possible.
Did u drill the CB bundles or lsat tests?
Also how long did it take u to go from 158-178?

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

natashka85 wrote:
gobosox wrote:
perplexedconfused wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:Looking like it might be about that time...time to go to the June thread :evil: LR is devious! cant get consistently better than -6 per section. The worst part is when I review, the answers are so simple!!! I may just be moving too quickly, either that or I cant read.

I feel the same way but not giving up on February yet! I am HOPING I can improve on this between now and 2/9. Anyone have advice on how to overcome this? I also see my errors when I review and the questions do not seem that difficult, but my mind just goes on vacation when I am doing an actual PT.
Both of you need to drill question types. LR is very easy to improve on once you drill Q types. Review the Manhattan LR section first and then drill a whole "10 LSAT" book of one q-type. Use the one you're missing most on.

And for reference, my diagnostic was 158. I got a 178 on my last PT. Improvement is possible.
Did u drill the CB bundles or lsat tests?
Also how long did it take u to go from 158-178?
I drilled the LSAT tests, just looked on the TLS forum to find the LR questions by type.

I only got a 178 on one PT-- gonna do another one this week and hopefully it is at the same level, but I studied casually for 8 months, hardcore for the last couple months. I have a full time job so I'm spreading out 4 months of studying over a year.

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 pm

2x2Matrix wrote:
steel_shot wrote:
gobosox wrote:After way too long of a break, I'm back. Been drilling with Noodleyone's method, with some success.

PT 30- 96/101, 178
EXP (LR) -1
LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -0
RC -4

My former PTs were all around the 170 range. Either this was an easy test, or my drilling has paid off. Anyone else do PT 30? Was it easier for you?

Obviously RC continues to be my bane... Going to drill that mercilessly this week.
Congrats! I used Noodley's method as well and have seen some big improvements. I'm willing to bet it's improvement on your part.

Anyways, retook 59 today for a 176, beating my previous best by four points! I made a few stupid mistakes in LR and need to work on RC still, but I'm feeling good about Feb. How much do you guys think my score was inflated? I took 59 about five months ago.
The drilling really helps. I was averaging low 170s before Oct test with dips under 170 here and there. Took some time off, went through Manhattan and drilled RC, and have been consistently in mid 170s.

Steel-shot, I think when redoing PTs, the inflation isn't so much in the score, but rather in the time constraint. You'll read through RC and grasp games faster, but you still need to go through the motions with all the questions.
Hmm, that does make a lot of sense. I still struggled with a few of the same questions (the sculptor RC passage), but especially in RC, I can see that. I guess the only thing I can do is drill RC on days off and hope to improve!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm

I just registered to take the LSAT in Feb. for the third and final, I guess, time. Here's to hoping that no relative dies the night before, and that I don't get sick, and that I generally don't panic.

ETA: I think the Feb. test is kind of good for a final retake, actually, because it's non-disclosed. I won't even have the option of looking back. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:27 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I just registered to take the LSAT in Feb. for the third and final, I guess, time. Here's to hoping that no relative dies the night before, and that I don't get sick, and that I generally don't panic.

ETA: I think the Feb. test is kind of good for a final retake, actually, because it's non-disclosed. I won't even have the option of looking back. :)
+1

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Guys I am tired,one day i can study next day i am so burnt that i cant ,maybe i shouldnt take this in feb?

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm

PT 50:

LR1: -4
LR2: -6 (BANE of my existence)
LRX: -3
LG: -1
RC: -1

85/100

Knew this one wasn't going well from the get-go. Going to take up Noodley's approach and hopefully make some progress on LR. LR is basically the (huge) roadblock between me and a 170+ 30 days from now. Ugh.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 pm

LG section to stay fresh, then back to LR-Flaw.

Late start today thanks to work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iditarod

New

Post by iditarod » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 am

checking in

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 am

I am gonna do 3 sections of drilling every other day and 4 sections of timed test in between those days,I am sort of confused and a little bit burnt but I don't give up,I know the feb test is gonna be hard and weird but I don't think about it.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 am

High PT testers and Re-takers - I could use your advice in the June thread.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

Calling it a night. After a rather frustrating session, managed to go -4 on a section of LR. (consistently go -6, and was getting pretty frustrated. so much so I wasn't going to sleep until I saw some improvement.) Anyway, PT 46 I think tm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Just drilling and re-reviewing PTs for the next couple of days. PT51 on Sunday. I got a feeling this'll be the one that breaks 170. Up for group review after.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Drilling ,still make mistakes in games section, shame on me
Games-3
Lr-3
Lr-2(after the first lr tried to do better on this one but still missed two careless mistakes)
I am gonna keep drilling today and talking to myself once I drill it helps me to stay engaged,lol

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I guess I am in for third and fin retake. I have done powerscore books, manhattan. I am just not improving. I've read Noodleys and am going to just PT until the test. I'm supposed to take an online class starting next week. I hope it helps. I have a waitlist to get off!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Zoomie wrote:I guess I am in for third and fin retake. I have done powerscore books, manhattan. I am just not improving. I've read Noodleys and am going to just PT until the test. I'm supposed to take an online class starting next week. I hope it helps. I have a waitlist to get off!
Have you tried Noodleyone's method or just read it? I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but I've found reading chapters of Manhattan LR and then drilling with Cambridge packets is helpful. What class are you planning on taking?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

MTH2 wrote:High PT testers and Re-takers - I could use your advice in the June thread.
Just PM me.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 am

TheThriller wrote:
MTH2 wrote:High PT testers and Re-takers - I could use your advice in the June thread.
Just PM me.
Also, just scored my first 180 on PT 27!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 am

TheThriller wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
Just PM me.
Also, just scored my first 180 on PT 27!
Daaamn, that's fantastic! Congratulations! You're going to kill it come February.

Any more tips to share with us plebes in the meanwhile? I've been doing a lot of PTing lately- you were right about becoming familiar with the test, definitely getting better at spotting right / wrong answers. Love some more advice! Any recent thoughts on RC?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am

It may not be too late to get the Manhattan RC book and crank through it in a day or 2 (its really short). They advocate a really aggressive active reading scheme that has helped me go from -6 to -0/-2. They also strongly suggest figuring out why answers are wrong, which in RC makes sense because only 1 question is textually supported.

Give it a shot! Lets rock this test come Feb

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”