Question about the Feb 2013 LSAT...

d0rklord

Question about the Feb 2013 LSAT...

Postby d0rklord » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

So, normally people would say to definitely not take the Feb 2013 LSAT because it's too late in the cycle...

However... after what happened last cycle (many schools accepting applications several months after the 'official' deadlines)... I'm wondering if this opinion still stands?

Taking December and hoping for a Feb retake seems unlikely due to how close the results from the Dec LSAT and test date for the Feb LSAT are...

So if one is not ready for Dec, will pushing until Feb really be that detrimental?

Thoughts?

:)

zipehtzin

Re: Question about the Feb 2013 LSAT...

Postby zipehtzin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 pm

If you are not ready to take the LSAT, don't take the LSAT.

Towards the end of the cycle, there are less free seats and less scholarships available. Worst case scenario you wait until the following cycle.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 pm

zipehtzin wrote:If you are not ready to take the LSAT, don't take the LSAT.

Towards the end of the cycle, there are less free seats and less scholarships available. Worst case scenario you wait until the following cycle.

I really can't wait again, LMAO...

I'm trying to get a scholly at a T3 though... I'm not trying to get those cut throat spots in the T14/Tier 1 schools/schollys...

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:I heard of one UVA ED admit from last cycle who retook the LSAT in December post acceptance, talked to Dean Richard and got some more $$ (he/she didn't say how much). Just wondering if there were any other people who encountered something along those lines or just actually emailed to see if they could get some money (and if they actually got any). I realize that its not really "negotiation" in the normal law school sense since ED admits have no leverage.

looks like you can retake this cycle and use it as leverage for more $$$

zipehtzin

Postby zipehtzin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Why wouldn't you want to get the best LSAT score possible to give yourself the best chance at the best scholarship?

If you don't get a December LSAT score that is good enough for such scholarship, you will probably want to retake again anyway. Waiting another cycle to take the LSAT is probably warranted if you are able to avoid years and years of debt upon graduation.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:19 pm

I kinda have the same question really, so im gonna lurk on this one. FEB would be best for me if I didnt do well this time (im keeping my fingers crossed). A couple of the schools I wanted to apply to have a later deadline then the traditional March deadline at most schools. One of the schools, which will remain nameless has a deadline of 6/1, why then is it too late for me to send in my app late feb/early march?

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am

Steve2207 wrote:I kinda have the same question really, so im gonna lurk on this one. FEB would be best for me if I didnt do well this time (im keeping my fingers crossed). A couple of the schools I wanted to apply to have a later deadline then the traditional March deadline at most schools. One of the schools, which will remain nameless has a deadline of 6/1, why then is it too late for me to send in my app late feb/early march?

I think the traditional deadline is February 1...

Another reason people advise against the Feb LSAT is because you'd have to juggle prepping your application (PS, LORS, etc) with studying for the LSAT...

December is less than 40 days away... I don't know what to do :(

Take it in Dec and study until scores come out and then decide? Or just push to Feb?

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am

zipehtzin wrote:Why wouldn't you want to get the best LSAT score possible to give yourself the best chance at the best scholarship?

If you don't get a December LSAT score that is good enough for such scholarship, you will probably want to retake again anyway. Waiting another cycle to take the LSAT is probably warranted if you are able to avoid years and years of debt upon graduation.

I know... I'll be more detailed...

I have a 3.07 GPA. I fucked up in college, never thought in a million years I'd be going to grad school...

I'm applying to Southwestern in LA hoping to get a scholarship (assuming i score high 160s low 170s on the LSAT)...

Their applications close in April, so I wonder if I'm really at a disadvantage with the Feb LSAT?

zipehtzin

Postby zipehtzin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

d0rklord wrote:Their applications close in April, so I wonder if I'm really at a disadvantage with the Feb LSAT?

I think you are necessarily at a disadvantage.

If someone with GPA/LSAT like yours applies to a law school before you do, and if those numbers earn that someone a scholarship, then it means that there are fewer scholarships available for you (schools don't have infinite money to hand out).

You are even at a disadvantage if you take December. Not just because you may not be prepared to take the exam, but also because the students who took the June and October LSAT already have a head start with applications. Scholarships and class seats will be given to June and October students, possibly before you even get your December score, let alone February.

d0rklord wrote:I have a 3.07 GPA. I fucked up in college, never thought in a million years I'd be going to grad school...

I'm applying to Southwestern in LA hoping to get a scholarship (assuming i score high 160s low 170s on the LSAT)...

Make sure you are going to graduate school because you want to learn, and not because you fucked up and don't know what else to do.

This information is by no means exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of who will be getting scholarships:
http://southwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... order=desc

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

zipehtzin wrote:
d0rklord wrote:Their applications close in April, so I wonder if I'm really at a disadvantage with the Feb LSAT?

I think you are necessarily at a disadvantage.

If someone with GPA/LSAT like yours applies to a law school before you do, and if those numbers earn that someone a scholarship, then it means that there are fewer scholarships available for you (schools don't have infinite money to hand out).

You are even at a disadvantage if you take December. Not just because you may not be prepared to take the exam, but also because the students who took the June and October LSAT already have a head start with applications. Scholarships and class seats will be given to June and October students, possibly before you even get your December score, let alone February.

d0rklord wrote:I have a 3.07 GPA. I fucked up in college, never thought in a million years I'd be going to grad school...

Make sure you are going to graduate school because you want to learn, and not because you fucked up and don't know what else to do.

This information is by no means exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of who will be getting scholarships:
http://southwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... order=desc

I've worked at a Law firm for 4 years and already have a job waiting for me when i graduate...

Therefore, I just want to go to whatever law school will be the cheapest, live at home, and finish...

EDIT: so I'm just wondering if for that particular school ( i know it's 'crappy' ) would i be too late?

zipehtzin

Postby zipehtzin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 pm

d0rklord wrote:I've worked at a Law firm for 4 years and already have a job waiting for me when i graduate...

Therefore, I just want to go to whatever law school will be the cheapest, live at home, and finish...

EDIT: so I'm just wondering if for that particular school ( i know it's 'crappy' ) would i be too late?

You're fortunate to have a job waiting for you.

In your situation, the school is only crappy to the degree that you don't take advantage of what it has to offer. You can still get accepted for the Fall '13 semester if you take the February LSAT. It shouldn't be too late to get accepted. Still, there is a great deal of chance/probability involved. Class seats and scholarships are finite, and if someone else has already received admission or a scholarship, then there is less of a chance that you will get either a seat or a scholarship.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

zipehtzin wrote:
d0rklord wrote:I've worked at a Law firm for 4 years and already have a job waiting for me when i graduate...

You're fortunate to have a job waiting for you.

In your situation, the school is only crappy to the degree that you don't take advantage of what it has to offer. You can still get accepted for the Fall '13 semester if you take the February LSAT. It shouldn't be too late to get accepted. Still, there is a great deal of chance/probability involved. Class seats and scholarships are finite, and if someone else has already received admission or a scholarship, then there is less of a chance that you will get either a seat or a scholarship.

I am very lucky... I've made great connections working in law... :) It's not BIG LAW but, honestly, that lifestyle isn't for me anyway. I enjoy free time :P

What if I take December and submit my apps but retake Feb as a bargaining chip?

edit: I haven't work at the same firm 4 years, i worked at a firm before that, and my relationships with attorneys who have since left has now opened doors at several firms... however, the firm i'm currently at (been here 2 years) is where i think i'll return after law school (unless something else magical pops up)

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

rebexness wrote:
d0rklord wrote: (unless something else magical pops up)

Nothing magical will pop up from Southwestern.

*eyeroll*

the two founding partners of the firm I work at both went to SW and were C average students...

They're easily making $500k a year now... so... relax...

nothing BIGLAW will popup, sure... but that isn't EVERYONE's goal... some of us don't want to work 80-90 hrs a week... I'd rather work 30-50...

Although, mind you, Gibson Dunn has a SW grad employed there...

Never say never :lol:

zipehtzin

Postby zipehtzin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm

d0rklord wrote:What if I take December and submit my apps but retake Feb as a bargaining chip?

That's possible, assuming you get a good score in December and a significantly better score in February. If you only improve 2 points or so, you may not be rewarded.

d0rklord wrote:the two founding partners of the firm I work at both went to SW and were C average students...

As you probably know, it would be unwise to generalize based on their success. Starting a law firm and being successful requires a great deal of business acumen.
d0rklord wrote:nothing BIGLAW will popup, sure... but that isn't EVERYONE's goal... some of us don't want to work 80-90 hrs a week... I'd rather work 30-50...

And be careful, it is the partners who are the big earners, the ones working 30-50 hours a week. They might make you work your ass off for relatively little pay.

lra234

Postby lra234 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

d0rklord wrote:
rebexness wrote:

*eyeroll*

the two founding partners of the firm I work at both went to SW and were C average students...

nothing BIGLAW will popup, sure... but that isn't EVERYONE's goal... some of us don't want to work 80-90 hrs a week... I'd rather work 30-50...

The experience of three people is not indicative of the experience as a whole.

It's awesome that you have a job offer after college, so I totally get your desire to just get whatever degree you can and get back to it...

...but that's ALSO an exceptional situation, and one that very, very few people have.

Pretending that a Tier 3 law school is going to regularly result in a great 30-50 hour a week job is fantasy (and if there were great paying 30-50 hour law jobs just lying around, I guarantee you they'd be DAMN popular). Not to mention, there are a lot of people at T1 and T2 schools who don't want to work in BIGLAW (or can't find a job in Biglaw...), and there aren't a lot of the non-Biglaw jobs out there right now.

Going to Southwestern sounds like the perfect thing for someone who already has a job. Anyone else it just seems like a waste of money in this economy.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:20 am

lra234 wrote:
d0rklord wrote:
rebexness wrote:

*eyeroll*

The experience of three people is not indicative of the experience as a whole.

It's awesome that you have a job offer after college, so I totally get your desire to just get whatever degree you can and get back to it...

...but that's ALSO an exceptional situation, and one that very, very few people have.

Pretending that a Tier 3 law school is going to regularly result in a great 30-50 hour a week job is fantasy (and if there were great paying 30-50 hour law jobs just lying around, I guarantee you they'd be DAMN popular). Not to mention, there are a lot of people at T1 and T2 schools who don't want to work in BIGLAW (or can't find a job in Biglaw...), and there aren't a lot of the non-Biglaw jobs out there right now.

Going to Southwestern sounds like the perfect thing for someone who already has a job. Anyone else it just seems like a waste of money in this economy.

No I totally understand... To be honest, if I didnt have a job waiting for me after LS i wouldn't consider SW... but I'm mainly hoping they'll throw me some $$ to make it even more worth it ;)

And for most people they want BigLaw or bust, which is also fine.. it's just not MY PERSONAL goal... and I don't want BigLaw or bust weigh ins with regard to my question...

It's solely geared on getting into a T3 with $$...

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 am

zipehtzin wrote:And be careful, it is the partners who are the big earners, the ones working 30-50 hours a week. They might make you work your ass off for relatively little pay.

I know the salary range for the associates... it's not REALLY GREAT... somewhere between $70-80k starting going upwards of $160k (which is what people start with in BigLaw) but i'm ok with that...

He also gives decent benefits... car allowance ($500/mo), insurance/gas/registration paid, etc...

All employees (myself included) get free health benefits (small fee for dental/vision if you want to add it on) and other "normal" perks...

Which is fine by me! I don't need to make MILLIONS...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”