After all real test what prep materials are proper? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lilMiao

New

After all real test what prep materials are proper?

Post by lilMiao » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 am

I spent only one month preparing for the 2012 Oct LSAT. And I think I didn't do very well.....

I'm not a native speaker of English so my preparation scores largely depends on the topics of the reading section. My score range from 166 to 175 so it's really hard to estimate my final result. My Logical Reasoning part is also fluctuating, for I sometimes cannot get what the stimulus mean in too short time....

I almost used up all the real test in the whole September's preparation and I cannot reuse any test material because I remember every answer...........

Now I think I should start preparing for December LSAT, but I don't know where to start. I have also read the LSAT Bible trilogy 2 or 3 times... Would someone be nice to give me some suggestion on other preparation materials?
Thanks a lot~~!!

[I only learnt who's longest-serving justice currently on the Supreme Court.....]

boblawlob

Silver

Re: After all real test what prep materials are proper?

Post by boblawlob » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 am

lilMiao wrote:I spent only one month preparing for the 2012 Oct LSAT. And I think I didn't do very well.....

I'm not a native speaker of English so my preparation scores largely depends on the topics of the reading section. My score range from 166 to 175 so it's really hard to estimate my final result. My Logical Reasoning part is also fluctuating, for I sometimes cannot get what the stimulus mean in too short time....

I almost used up all the real test in the whole September's preparation and I cannot reuse any test material because I remember every answer...........

Now I think I should start preparing for December LSAT, but I don't know where to start. I have also read the LSAT Bible trilogy 2 or 3 times... Would someone be nice to give me some suggestion on other preparation materials?
Thanks a lot~~!!

[I only learnt who's longest-serving justice currently on the Supreme Court.....]
I didn't even know who the longest serving justice was, despite being able to name all 9.

Damn you Scalia! I had mentally guessed Kennedy.

In regards to your question, refer to NoodleyOne's retake guide.

lilMiao

New

Post by lilMiao » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:45 am

boblawlob wrote:
lilMiao wrote:I spent only one month preparing for the 2012 Oct LSAT. And I think I didn't do very well.....

Thanks a lot~~!!

I didn't even know who the longest serving justice was, despite being able to name all 9.

Thank you!! I'll go and see! :)

Should I tell anyone that I don't even know what plaintiff mean when I start on LSAT...

And a reading about "seeking damages" almost killed me..... for I don't know the "damage" is the name of the legal term and then it appeared so weird that everyone in the passage WANTED TO BE DESTROYED......!!

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm

lilMiao wrote:
boblawlob wrote:

Thanks a lot~~!!

Thank you!! I'll go and see! :)

Should I tell anyone that I don't even know what plaintiff mean when I start on LSAT...

And a reading about "seeking damages" almost killed me..... for I don't know the "damage" is the name of the legal term and then it appeared so weird that everyone in the passage WANTED TO BE DESTROYED......!!
I wouldn't worry about it. Would you believe that I had mistakenly thought "tort" was some sort of pastry?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Cerebro wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Would you believe that I had mistakenly thought "tort" was some sort of pastry?
:lol:

My first class on first day of LS was torts. After getting my assigned schedule for the next week a few days before during orientation (with lots of free good food for everyone), and I had no idea what tort law was, I thought it was going to be breakfast time with yummy things to eat before classes, especially since it started at 8:20am. Since I was expecting pastries to start the first day bright and early in the morning I was a bit disappointed, especially since my first day of 1L was my B-Day and skipped breakfast before heading over to the LS!

Instead of tasty pastries to start the day I got hit with Vosburg v. Putney by a hard core old school Socratic Method, take no prisoners professor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vosburg_v._Putney
http://www.lawnix.com/cases/vosburg-putney.html

:)

OP: You are not expected to know anything much about the law when you start, that is why it is called Law School! You are there to be taught and learn about the various areas of law and how it works.

RE: Your LSAT prep, you did it wrong and most likely mainly just did the cram at the last minute churn and burn racing through the books and taking a bunch of timed tests routine instead of focusing on learning the relevant concepts/strategies/effective techniques since you say you went through all the available PrepTests and the PS Bibles in one month.

I have trouble believing that you were able to work and review roughly 7000 LSAT questions and read close to 2000 pages (the three PS bibles) two to three times all in one month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilMiao

New

Post by lilMiao » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Cerebro wrote:
RE: Your LSAT prep, you did it wrong and most likely mainly just did the cram at the last minute churn and burn racing through the books and taking a bunch of timed tests routine instead of focusing on learning the relevant concepts/strategies/effective techniques since you say you went through all the available PrepTests and the PS Bibles in one month.

I have trouble believing that you were able to work and review roughly 7000 LSAT questions and read close to 2000 pages (the three PS bibles) two to three times all in one month.
I think I did it wrong, too..!
I don't really know how to prepare... all the questions I got wrong are at least partly that I don't get what the stimulus mean.. Do you think some academical reading will help? or some not too light magazines?

I have one month again this time.. Shall do something different from last time..!

[I read through the case.. poor Vosburg...]

SumStalwart

Bronze

Post by SumStalwart » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree, read Noodleyone's retake.

Other than reading the Power Score bibles, what other things did you do to prepare. I found that my gains primarily came from doing practice tests, sections, and problems (both untimed and timed). The principal consideration should be understanding the wording.

In response to your question about reading academic journals, I would agree that it's a good idea to read more of them. More so than native speakers, your disadvantage is the level of fluency that you have with english-- you really need to refine it. That sounds more harsh than I meant it, but you should focus on working on your english comprehension (that seems to be your most difficult hurtle). Immerse yourself in English. I understand that it's easier said than done, however, I believe that you could really stand to benefit from it.

Regards~

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks a lot~~!!

I know you said you remember every answer. That said, you should still prep using real LSAT questions. Just try to go into more depth. Understand why the wrong answers are wrong, and why the right answers are right. Fake questions won't help you.

Here are all the useful resources I know of.

Cambridge LSAT has a lot of books that arrange questions by type. If you had any particular weaknesses, you could check those out. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ridge+lsat

If you want general strategy help, I've heard good things about Manhattan LSAT. They have a new set of books out soon: http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-St ... 935707876/

If you're not sure what you're getting wrong on particular questions, you could try some LSAT explanations. I'm the author of Hacking the LSAT, which explains every question in LSATs 29-38 (The Next Ten Actual Official LSATs): http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-LSAT-Expl ... 988127903/

Nathan Fox has written books that explain a single LSAT. I've had a look, they're good: http://www.amazon.com/Cheating-LSAT-Tes ... 98385050X/

Finally, you can get video walkthroughs of almost all logic games for free from 7Sage:

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

lilMiao

New

Post by lilMiao » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 am

//'_'//

U guys are so kind! > <
Now I've got a lot to work on..!!

THANK YOU!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”