ADHD Drugs now called "Academic Steroids"

CalAlumni

Re: ADHD Drugs now called "Academic Steroids"

Postby CalAlumni » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 am

HeavenWood wrote:
PDaddy wrote:And why should people diagnosed with ADHD be the only ones to benefit? It almost makes you feel like Tiger Woods watching another golfer with a disability take a cart all over the course. Only reason I won't test it out is because I am scared of drugs. But that could change. Lol.

Adderall fucks up a lot of people with ADHD. Taking it unprescribed without a diagnosed attention deficit disorder is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of other drugs that are far less harsh and nearly as effective (though you still shouldn't take them unless you have a legitimate reason).

This.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:46 am

HeavenWood wrote:
PDaddy wrote:And why should people diagnosed with ADHD be the only ones to benefit? It almost makes you feel like Tiger Woods watching another golfer with a disability take a cart all over the course. Only reason I won't test it out is because I am scared of drugs. But that could change. Lol.

Adderall fucks up a lot of people with ADHD. Taking it unprescribed without a diagnosed attention deficit disorder is just asking for trouble.

You are 100% correct. Don't take me too literally. As is now the case with PED's, a less dangerous version of these drugs can probably be made. You know there will be a lot of money in it. I'm basically mind-fucking myself about the prospects of students actually benefiting from new designer versions of ADHD drugs before anyone knows about it. The cat is already out of the bag; now drug makers know that students will clamor for such a drug.

HGH was on the underground market long before the masses learned about it, and we will never know how many athletes gained advantages from it before we learned about it. I wonder if the same thing might be on the horizon in academics - if it isn't already here.

I was 3/4 serious about urine tests at the LSAT/GMAT/MCAT testing sites. Lol.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 am

Dear medical experts of top-law-schools.com/forums,
It appears that in the course of this highly advanced discussion of a particular breed of pharmaceuticals, you have confused Adderall with the drug that is taken in the blockbuster hit film, Limitless. If you wish to continue this conversation, please be extra careful not to confound the two.

Sincerely,
Lacrosse Brother

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 am

HeavenWood wrote:
CalAlumni wrote:Adderall is absolutely addictive, especially for those without ADHD, for its' strong-effects on the central nervous system engender an intense sensation of well-being, which for many become a state that they cannot live without. In fact, individuals are going to rehab in record numbers for addiction to Adderall and other ADHD stimulants.

Let me explain what ADHD feels like. Imagine being strapped to a chair, forced to sit down for 15 hours without the ability to stand up--you're going to feel really restless, right? Also, imagine that you also just got a call that both of your parents are dying in the hospital, and you can't visit/talk to them--you must sit in the chair. Now, imagine trying to study in this context, you'll feel restless like you can't sit for a moment longer and you can't read more than a sentence without losing concentration....that is what my ADHD feels like.

Adderall gives me the ability to sit down and focus for more than 5 minutes at a time, something non-ADHD people take for granted.

A sense of well-being? For me, and just about everyone else I know, Adderall moderately increased my focus, but it also made me fucking nuts and I was a nervous goddamned wreck most of the time. Adderall is speed, pure and simple. Note that I have diagnosed ADHD, I was prescribed the drug, and I used it as directed.

It gives me a sense of well-being. I don't have ADHD.

PDaddy wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Adderall fucks up a lot of people with ADHD. Taking it unprescribed without a diagnosed attention deficit disorder is just asking for trouble.

HGH was on the underground market long before the masses learned about it, and we will never know how many athletes gained advantages from it before we learned about it. I wonder if the same thing might be on the horizon in academics - if it isn't already here.

I was 3/4 serious about urine tests at the LSAT/GMAT/MCAT testing sites. Lol.

HGH doesn't do what you think it does. But why are you in any part serious about urine tests? In sports, you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't juice. People can still produce incredible numbers without drugs on tests. You are not at a disadvantage and you aren't really competing with anyone.

HeavenWood wrote:

Adderall fucks up a lot of people with ADHD. Taking it unprescribed without a diagnosed attention deficit disorder is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of other drugs that are far less harsh and nearly as effective (though you still shouldn't take them unless you have a legitimate reason).

Why shouldn't you? I ask because this becomes a moral question without any real sound basis.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 am

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HGH doesn't do what you think it does. But why are you in any part serious about urine tests? In sports, you are at a severe disadvantage if you don't juice. People can still produce incredible numbers without drugs on tests. You are not at a disadvantage and you aren't really competing with anyone.

this.

A normal person might be able to get a 170-179 on the LSAT if they work hard enough.
A person on HGH +other such chemicals might be able to get a 195-215 on the LSAT if they work hard enough

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 am

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Why shouldn't you? I ask because this becomes a moral question without any real sound basis.

This has nothing to do with morals. It all boils down to common sense: taking powerful amphetamines and stimulants without the OK of a trained medical professional is playing with fire. These drugs can really adversely mess with your mind, and given the not-insignificant number of prescribed users who report extreme negative side-effects, you'd be wise to stay away from them if you're not an intended user. So you're either (a) trolling, (b) someone with undiagnosed ADHD, or (c) really lucky.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am

HeavenWood wrote:
VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

This has nothing to do with morals. It all boils down to common sense: taking powerful amphetamines and stimulants without the OK of a trained medical professional is playing with fire. These drugs can really adversely mess with your mind, and given the not-insignificant number of prescribed users who report extreme negative side-effects, you'd be wise to stay away from them if you're not an intended user. So you're either (a) trolling, (b) someone with undiagnosed ADHD, or (c) really lucky.

A and B are both wrong and terrible assumptions. I would argue that C is wrong based on the plethora of people who report amphetamines greatly improving their productivity and output quality. Again, this doesn't have to do with memory or recall which I'm 100% willing to concede could be impeded by using these drugs.

I also think that being able to use some type of drug sporadically and effectively and having the will-power to not use them everyday is also a strong factor. I don't think that's luck, though.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am

sinfiery wrote:
VUSisterRayVU wrote:

this.

A normal person might be able to get a 170-179 on the LSAT if they work hard enough.
A person on HGH +other such chemicals might be able to get a 195-215 on the LSAT if they work hard enough

It'd be more accurate to say that HGH would let someone score towards the top of their band daily. HGH doesn't really do anything for strength or size in a productive manner, rather it provides quicker recovery time. If you're an athlete, you want to recover from injuries and aches asap and HGH will help with that. If you tore a muscle, you'll almost certainly want to use HGH. But using it at any amount over therapeutic doses really isn't going to help you. If you want to get stronger and bigger in a way that benefits athleticism, then you'd want to use steroids.

/nerdingoutabtirrelevantshit

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Dear medical experts of top-law-schools.com/forums,
It appears that in the course of this highly advanced discussion of a particular breed of pharmaceuticals, you have confused Adderall with the drug that is taken in the blockbuster hit film, Limitless. If you wish to continue this conversation, please be extra careful not to confound the two.

Sincerely,
Lacrosse Brother

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But to be quite frank, when I saw that first scene of him getting home and cleaning the house before doing anything else, it is probably pretty damn close.

Also, I don't trust anybody who says they didn't take an addy or two in UG. They are either a liar or a nerd who actually studies throughout the year instead of cramming during finals week. Either way, not my kind of peoples.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:48 am

I didn't take addys during UG... I considered, at various times, but never went ahead with it.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:I didn't take addys during UG... I considered, at various times, but never went ahead with it.

Neither did I. I wish I did, though. I would have actually done work.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Adderall fucks up a lot of people with ADHD. Taking it unprescribed without a diagnosed attention deficit disorder is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of other drugs that are far less harsh and nearly as effective (though you still shouldn't take them unless you have a legitimate reason).

A and B are both wrong and terrible assumptions. I would argue that C is wrong based on the plethora of people who report amphetamines greatly improving their productivity and output quality. Again, this doesn't have to do with memory or recall which I'm 100% willing to concede could be impeded by using these drugs.

I also think that being able to use some type of drug sporadically and effectively and having the will-power to not use them everyday is also a strong factor. I don't think that's luck, though.

Then by all means, be your own psychiatrist/pharmacist. Hope it doesn't melt your brain.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

Birdnals wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Dear medical experts of top-law-schools.com/forums,

Sincerely,
Lacrosse Brother

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But to be quite frank, when I saw that first scene of him getting home and cleaning the house before doing anything else, it is probably pretty damn close.

Also, I don't trust anybody who says they didn't take an addy or two in UG. They are either a liar or a nerd who actually studies throughout the year instead of cramming during finals week. Either way, not my kind of peoples.

or had a 2.7 :oops:

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 am

1. I had a shit gpa and am prescribed studypeds.
2. "Medical experts" don't blood test you or take brain images. They give you a survey and if you're in a certain range, you get amphetamines. If you go back and tell them, "it seemed to be working a bit, but still am not all the way there", they'll give you more. If you go back and say, "I'm way too hyped up, I can't concentrate", they'll lower your dose or change you to a different drug.

Please do not listen to the ramblings of Mr. HeavenWood.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 am

HeavenWood wrote:Then by all means, be your own psychiatrist/pharmacist. Hope it doesn't melt your brain.

Or you can not be condescending and judgemental, look to the multitudes of people who use it w/o a script that it helps, and maybe conclude that it 'melting your brain' isn't the norm.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 am

Come back and tell me when companies will now fire you for using "academic steroids" on the job.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Then by all means, be your own psychiatrist/pharmacist. Hope it doesn't melt your brain.

Or you can not be condescending and judgemental, look to the multitudes of people who use it w/o a script that it helps, and maybe conclude that it 'melting your brain' isn't the norm.

This.

But also be aware of the paradoxical effect. For people without ADHD, the sensation of amphetamines is that of stimulation which may be beneficial for a number of reasons For those with it, it's a bit more relaxing (though not tranquilizing).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:04 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:1. I had a shit gpa and am prescribed studypeds.
2. "Medical experts" don't blood test you or take brain images. They give you a survey and if you're in a certain range, you get amphetamines. If you go back and tell them, "it seemed to be working a bit, but still am not all the way there", they'll give you more. If you go back and say, "I'm way too hyped up, I can't concentrate", they'll lower your dose or change you to a different drug.

1) You're also mildly retarded.
2) A trained, ethical medical professional will only prescribe stimulants if you have a condition that warrants their usage, and even then, will pick from a variety of possible drugs based on your own personal circumstances. They have the knowledge/wherewithal to assist you if you're "not all the way there" or "way too hyped up."
VUSisterRayVU wrote:

Long-term amphetamine usage can have dire consequences. Multitudes of people do multitudes of stupid things. You cannot deny the fact that for an FDA-approved drug, Adderall has an extremely high rate of negative side effects. But if you want to take the risk, that's your prerogative.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

2) A trained, ethical medical professional will only prescribe stimulants if you have a condition that warrants their usage, and even then, will pick from a variety of possible drugs based on your own personal circumstances. They have the knowledge/wherewithal to assist you if you're "not all the way there" or "way too hyped up."
VUSisterRayVU wrote:

Long-term amphetamine usage can have dire consequences. Multitudes of people do multitudes of stupid things. You cannot deny the fact that for an FDA-approved drug, Adderall has an extremely high rate of negative side effects. But if you want to take the risk, that's your prerogative.

:lol: Doctors, alone, have the ability to determine if adderall will melt your brain, because they give you a survey.
My sister's psychiatrist, "If you think you have ADD, you do."

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

You are dumb. Here is how every single person I know who had a prescription to addy got it.
1. Go to psychologist, say you have trouble concentrating
2. Get drugs
3. Go back every 90 days, say it is either working, or you need more drugs. Session lasts no longer than 5-10 minutes, max.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 pm

VUSisterRayVU wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
VUSisterRayVU wrote:

this.

It'd be more accurate to say that HGH would let someone score towards the top of their band daily. HGH doesn't really do anything for strength or size in a productive manner, rather it provides quicker recovery time. If you're an athlete, you want to recover from injuries and aches asap and HGH will help with that. If you tore a muscle, you'll almost certainly want to use HGH. But using it at any amount over therapeutic doses really isn't going to help you. If you want to get stronger and bigger in a way that benefits athleticism, then you'd want to use steroids.

/nerdingoutabtirrelevantshit

ah, I see. That's kind of why I put the +othersuchchemicals as I didn't know enough to differentiate between the groups
good to know

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 pm

laxbrah420 wrote: :lol: Doctors, alone, have the ability to determine if adderall will melt your brain, because they give you a survey.

I'm assuming, arguendo, that the psychiatrist isn't lazy/incompetent.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote: :lol: Doctors, alone, have the ability to determine if adderall will melt your brain, because they give you a survey.

Psychologists are, by definition, lazy and incompetent. It's why they aren't real doctors.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Birdnals wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Psychologists are, by definition, lazy and incompetent. It's why they aren't real doctors.

Psychiatrists, who are real doctors, can always prescribe drugs; psychologists, who are not, generally can't. My psychiatrists were always good, but I won't deny there's financial incentive to give drugs to whoever wants them.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Even if the doctor is extremely competent and ethical, what is he/she supposed to do? There are a limited number of questions that can be asked, and the answers are pretty straightforward. If the first doctor doesn't give it to you, you can go to another. Once you get the first prescription, you can always get more. When all is said and done, there must be a certain assumption that the people who seek it out tend to be the same ones who need it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”