Sharing my LSAT knowledge - ask my anything

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Re: Sharing my LSAT knowledge - ask my anything

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:10 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Parallel flaw v. Parallel reasoning

Many advise that in parallel reasoning we can play a matching game, where we match how a conclusion or premise(s) are worded (ie if the stimulus' conclusion uses a qualifier/quantifier, we should look for a similar qualifier/quantifier in the conclusion in an answer choice).

Does matching also apply to parallel flaws? Or is the sole task to match the flawed reasoning(s)?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, matching still applies. I'd caution that you should be matching the structure, not the words. Though words like 'some', 'most' etc. are part of the structure. But if the stimulus says 'some' and an answer says 'a few', that's *likely* good enough.

On flawed parallel, in particular note whether they did a mistaken reversal or mistaken negation. I've seen the right answer hinge on this distinction.

On either type, once you have a clear structure for the argument, it is a *lot* faster to eliminate answers.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Hey graeme
I was watching you LG explanation for Pt31 LG2 (new & used cds). Number 4 on screen does that mean Ru->~Sn, Ru->~Su, Rn->~Sn, Rn->~Su? It's the 5th rule in the game with either type of rap is on sale, then no soul is. I was wondering if they all could be split up?

Thankss

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey Graeme,

I read all your tips on Reddit for improvements in Reading Comprehensive and started using some of them and I gotta say I've never seen these kind of improvements. RC truly is my kryptonite as I'm not a quick reader and my attention span is garbage. Combining your strategy for reading faster with others and my imperfect note taking strategy looks like it's turning into a winner in time for the December LSAT. Just wanted to say thanks for putting the info out there.

H0lys0cks

Postby H0lys0cks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

graeme wrote:
H0lys0cks wrote:Hi there,

My question is related to peaking. I've gotten about 170 on every full-length test I've taken so far(about 6). I feel like I may be stuck here and I'm starting to worry. I want to move up a few more points to give me some breathing room and the chance for better scholarships. Any ideas on how to prevent stagnation in your scores or how to break out of it? Currently, I'm strong on LG, Okay on LR(but want to improve), and weakest on RC. In case it matters, I've just begun the recent Preptests (52 and forward) this week. Generally, I've used the Pithypike guide as a reference for my studies.

Takes lots of timed section + full tests AND review extensively. The latter is the most important part. You need to figure out WHY you're making mistakes.

There are no "stupid" mistakes on the LSAT. They're all traps built into the test.

Figure out what is going wrong. Make a name for your errors. Then watch out for them.

A few tools:

Blind Review should help you analyze your mistakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhj7pUiVS8
You might find my RC guides on Reddit useful + the memory method post on 7Sage: http://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/1 ... on_guides/

Funny you said that I was just reviewing some of my "stupid mistakes" and saw your reply. I decided to dig a little deeper based on what you said. Thanks!

josh321

Postby josh321 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Wondering if you can help me with this please. Preptest 38 - Logic Game 1, Problem # 3 for some reason I don't see why W becomes a floater. Thank You.

My scenario looks like this

1:R 2:T/W 3: W/T 4:V 5:Y/S 6:S/Y 7:Z 8:Q

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am

lsatkid007 wrote:Hey graeme
I was watching you LG explanation for Pt31 LG2 (new & used cds). Number 4 on screen does that mean Ru->~Sn, Ru->~Su, Rn->~Sn, Rn->~Su? It's the 5th rule in the game with either type of rap is on sale, then no soul is. I was wondering if they all could be split up?

Thankss

Here's the video he's referring to, if anyone is interested: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat ... -1-game-2/

This is just about the hardest game I know, by the way. Much harder than the dinosaur game in my books. I haven't tried Zones yet.

Yes, those rules can be split up. You can always draw and rules together or separately. If I tell you 'humans have arms, legs, hands, ears, fingers and toes', you can draw this two ways:

H --> A and L and H and E and F and T

or

H --> A
    H --> L
    H --> H
    H --> E
    H --> F
    H --> T

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for LG man. I watched you blind review for LR but how do you recommend I review RC.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm

scottyc66 wrote:Hey Graeme,

I read all your tips on Reddit for improvements in Reading Comprehensive and started using some of them and I gotta say I've never seen these kind of improvements. RC truly is my kryptonite as I'm not a quick reader and my attention span is garbage. Combining your strategy for reading faster with others and my imperfect note taking strategy looks like it's turning into a winner in time for the December LSAT. Just wanted to say thanks for putting the info out there.

Thanks Scotty, I love hearing that people are able to get results using things I've written.

The guides are here, if anyone was wondering what he was referring to: http://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/1 ... on_guides/

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 pm

josh321 wrote:Wondering if you can help me with this please. Preptest 38 - Logic Game 1, Problem # 3 for some reason I don't see why W becomes a floater. Thank You.

My scenario looks like this

1:R 2:T/W 3: W/T 4:V 5:Y/S 6:S/Y 7:Z 8:Q

W is not *strictly* speaking a floater. They can't go first. But they can go anywhere else. The *only* thing we know about W is that they come after R. Nothing prevents them from going last, second, or anywhere in between.

Z is likewise a floater, in the same sense. They can't go last, but they can go anywhere earlier, including first. R does *not* have to be first.

Recognizing the flexibility of variables such as Z and W is the key to mastering sequencing games. I've attached my diagram. Let me know if you have questions about how it works.

A variable goes in front of another if they are connected by lines going left to right. If variables aren't connected by lines going left to right, we can't conclude anything.

Diagram: http://imgur.com/W0fuR

Edit: Here's the 7Sage video for this game. Ping uses the same diagram I do: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat ... -2-game-1/

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 am

I have trouble with RC but especially with those Analogy questions where they ask you the find the most analogous situation described in the passage.

How do I get better at that? You see, most of the time I would either misunderstand what the analogy would be or I wouldn't be able to find the difference between answer choices(they would all seem viable!).

Help?

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 am

roranoa wrote:I have trouble with RC but especially with those Analogy questions where they ask you the find the most analogous situation described in the passage.

How do I get better at that? You see, most of the time I would either misunderstand what the analogy would be or I wouldn't be able to find the difference between answer choices(they would all seem viable!).

Help?

Hey roranoa, can you give me an example or two of questions that have stumped you? I'll be able to give you a better answer.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm

graeme wrote:
roranoa wrote:I have trouble with RC but especially with those Analogy questions where they ask you the find the most analogous situation described in the passage.

Help?

Hey roranoa, can you give me an example or two of questions that have stumped you? I'll be able to give you a better answer.

One is from PT21 section 4 Q20. I was contemplating between C and E because, well, I thought the answer had to do something about a company trying to profit from a new theory. The answer was B. I now understand why the answer is B.

Another example is from PT28 section 4 Q7. This one I was thinking between A and D. I don't know why :cry:

180wanabe

Postby 180wanabe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey Graeme, I just have one question. Where is the best place to find explanations for logic games? I know the powerscore bible has some, but I am looking for more explanations. I'm looking for something along the lines of a big book that has basically every logic game every written and detailed instructions for how to solve each one. Thanks.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

180wanabe wrote:Hey Graeme, I just have one question. Where is the best place to find explanations for logic games? I know the powerscore bible has some, but I am looking for more explanations. I'm looking for something along the lines of a big book that has basically every logic game every written and detailed instructions for how to solve each one. Thanks.

Cool, an easy question :) Check out the logic games explanations page at 7Sage. Almost every game has an explanation video.

http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 am

graeme wrote:
180wanabe wrote:Hey Graeme, I just have one question. Where is the best place to find explanations for logic games? I know the powerscore bible has some, but I am looking for more explanations. I'm looking for something along the lines of a big book that has basically every logic game every written and detailed instructions for how to solve each one. Thanks.

Cool, an easy question :) Check out the logic games explanations page at 7Sage. Almost every game has an explanation video.

Hey Graeme
Thank you for posting the free videos. You have posting almost all the games from every test but some are missing. The older ones. Just wanted to ask why you have decided not to post those. Don't get me wrong, I very grateful for all the free videos.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am

lsatkid007 wrote:
graeme wrote:

Hey Graeme
Thank you for posting the free videos. You have posting almost all the games from every test but some are missing. The older ones. Just wanted to ask why you have decided not to post those. Don't get me wrong, I very grateful for all the free videos.

They're on the way. There's actually about a hundred more videos up now than in early summer. We wanted to put the ones that were available up first, rather than deny access until the full set was ready.

And when a new test comes out, the priority is explaining that, rather than very old tests that few people use. But they should be along within the next few months at the latest.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 am

Can you help me with my question? You totally skipped it.

willwash

Postby willwash » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am

Rule substiution questions...seriously...wtf?

jbf

Postby jbf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 am

Do you have any advice for avoiding a dip in scoring on Test Day? In October, a combination of extenuating factors resulted in me dropping a whopping 10-12 points from where I was usually scoring. For the past month, I've been averaging 168-171 consistently and I really, really want to stay in that range.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:46 pm

jbf wrote:Do you have any advice for avoiding a dip in scoring on Test Day? In October, a combination of extenuating factors resulted in me dropping a whopping 10-12 points from where I was usually scoring. For the past month, I've been averaging 168-171 consistently and I really, really want to stay in that range.

Just have gone through test day should help. You mentioned various factors. To the extent possible, neutralize them, obviously. A few other tips:

Breathe: The LSAT is stressful, and produces the freeze-fight-or-flight response, which is your body's way of dealing with sudden threats, such as the appearance of a lion.

The first response to an acute threat, such as a bear or a hard logic game, is to freeze. This prevents the predator from seeing you. You hold your breathe in readiness for action - if you've done weight lifting, you'll know you have more strength when you exhale.

You also shut down non-essential bodily functions, such as digestion and logical thought. They aren't necessarily for survival. Instead you stare at the threat, waiting to see whether you should run away or fight it.

I'm being very serious, actually. This is exactly what happens when you see a hard question and panic.

So, breathe. If you take deep breaths through the stomach, it acts as a manual override switch. If there were *actually* a threat, you'd never breathe, so breathing tells your body it can relax.

Take 5-10 seconds to close your eyes and breathe deeply 5 times, using your stomach. You'll more than make up for the time lost by regaining your capacity for logical thought.

Meditate: A little late to start this one, but even five minutes a day of sitting still and focussing on your breathing will help make you mentally more effective.

Practice in different environments: Some people do all their practice in one place: their room, the library, etc. Bad. On test day, you'll be in a different place. Try to take at least one practice test in a cafe or somewhere with distractions, different from your usual environment.

Focus on your process: You probably have a set process for handling each type of questions. E.g. Read rules, draw rules, double check rules, attempt to memorize rules, use rules to eliminate answers on list question....

If you're stuck, repeat that process to yourself, then start doing it. If you've got a good process, it will work, the trick is just getting started.

I hope that helps. This blog post at 7Sage has some more strategies: http://7sage.com/five-strategies-for-co ... at-anxiet/

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Thanks for LG man. I watched you blind review for LR but how do you recommend I review RC.

To review RC, I recommend seeing what information could have proven the right answer correct, or disproven the trap answer you were caught by. This is for all the specific detail questions, they're about half of RC.

Writing RC explanations was the most boring part of Hacking The LSAT, because most questions could be answered just by finding the right line in the passage.

People often ask me what information they should look for when doing a passage. This is something best learned by experience, and looking for this information on review will help you get a better sense of which parts of the passage tend to be relevant to the questions.

I would also focus on making good, short summaries for each paragraph and making sure of the main point, if you're getting any main point/primary purpose questions wrong.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:15 pm

roranoa wrote:
graeme wrote:

Help?

One is from PT21 section 4 Q20. I was contemplating between C and E because, well, I thought the answer had to do something about a company trying to profit from a new theory. The answer was B. I now understand why the answer is B.

Another example is from PT28 section 4 Q7. This one I was thinking between A and D. I don't know why :cry:

Sorry for the delay in getting to this, hope it isn't after your LSAT. These questions are like parallel reasoning on LR. Here are the steps:

1. Get a good sense of the original situation.
    2. Create an abstract description of that situation.
    3. Disqualify answers that don't match.
    4. Look more carefully at what's left to find the best fit.

For example, PT21, section 4, Q 20. There are two theories: biogenic and abiogenic. The swedish company is drilling in an uncertain location. If abiogenic is correct, the Swedes are smart. If biogenic theory is correct, the Swedes are idiots.

A new theory has led people to look for something in a new place. One key part is that oil fields are something prexisting that can be found. The theory indicates they might be in new places.

A. Not 100% sure how to explain this. For one, this doesn't say the researchers actually found the patterns they've theorized about. That's different from oil fields, which have been found.
    B. CORRECT. The researches are looking in a new place, based on a theory, rather than evidence.
    C. The companies aren't looking for a new instance of a known phenomenon.
    D. The researchers already found the functions. The new theory is just making them reexamine them.
    E. The theory isn't leading to any new discoveries.

Does that clear things up? I have to run, but I can talk about the other question if you need more clarification.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey G
I'm having problems with RC inference questions. Do you have any tips?

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 am

willwash wrote:Rule substiution questions...seriously...wtf?

Definitely tough. A lot of students are actually frightened by them.

Just remember that there is a way to solve them. The key is looking at the effect of a rule. Often an effect can be described in more than one way.

They'll only pick rules that affect other variables. So focus on how you can describe the impact the rule has on other areas, and if there's any way that you could use those areas to restrict the variable in question in the same way. Check first the answer choices that mention the other variables affected by the rule.

Example

That's all terriblly abstract, so look at game 2 from test 61. It's an ordering game. Here's the diagram:

N
\
T
/
J
/
F
\
H

edit: This diagram didn't work, going to try to see how to fix it.

It's kind of clumsy, but hopefully you get the idea. F is before J, T and H, and T is after F, J and N.

Question 11 asks us to replace the rule that puts T and J and N. We need the same effect. Well, that rule puts T really late in the game. The only variable not on the diagram is P (it's in another rule). So right now, P and H are the only variables that can go after T.

That's answer choice D.

This questions brings up something else tested on rule substitution questions, and on games in general: seeing the unseen.

If you look at the diagram, it's fairly obvious that F, J and N go before T. It's less obvious that P and H can go before or after T, because P isn't on the diagram, and H isn't connected. When a game gives you part of the scenario, you'll do better if you can envision the rest of the scenario that isn't presented. Hope that's clear.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 pm

jbf wrote:Do you have any advice for avoiding a dip in scoring on Test Day? In October, a combination of extenuating factors resulted in me dropping a whopping 10-12 points from where I was usually scoring. For the past month, I've been averaging 168-171 consistently and I really, really want to stay in that range.

I'm probably too late for you (sorry), but I'll answer this for anyone else who wants to know.

First, you should know that statistically, you're as likely to score below your average as above your average. Variations are normal, and a score a few points lower doesn't necessarily mean it was due to test day stress.

In your case, a 10-12 point drop is significantly, and highly unlikely to be random. Would be good to know what the factors were. But the best way to not get thrown by test day is to practice in simulated conditions, and get used to it. The only part you can't fake is the pressure.

1. Take full timed tests. I wrote a guide on how to do this on Reddit.. If you need answer sheets or a proctor, you can find those on 7Sage's LSAT tools page.

2. Practice in environments with distractions. You might only practice in the pristine quiet of your room or library. Well, test day is full of distractions. Noise, attractive members of the opposite sex, proctors, etc. Take a few practice tests in different places such as cafes to get used to distraction.

3. Breathe. I just wrote a post on 7Sage about how to use breathing to snap out of panic. This works, give it a try: http://7sage.com/how-avoid-panicking-on-lsat/

The standard advice applies as well. Sleep well, eat well (whatever that means for you), relax the day before. Meditate, if you can bring yourself to do it. Not dropping on test day is mostly about maintaining a calm state of mind.

It's possible to maintain calm even under stress. Try to separate yourself from yourself. View the situation as an outside observer. And meditate, seriously.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”