What to do when circumstance stops you in the middle of a PT

Theopliske8711

What to do when circumstance stops you in the middle of a PT

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:13 pm

I was told to do it at home since all the libraries by me are closed. My parents were home and thought it would stay that way. Unfortunately, my father came home from work as I was working in the living room. I was thrown off by a lot due to movement and questions. I tried to go into my room, but found it impossible to concentrate again. Its bad enough I get bad sinus aches when I am at home on sundays, for various reasons, but the interruption really broke me.

So, for those of you who have gone through this, what would you recommend?

mqt

Re: What to do when circumstance stops you in the middle of a PT

Postby mqt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Explain to your parents how important it is that you aren't interrupted during each 35 minute stretch. If they do it anyway, just brush it off (meaning the interruption, not them) and keep going. If you run out of time by a little bit, just finish as quickly as you normally would. A few sections like these shouldn't kill your prep work. If the distraction hurts your whole PT, you may have some serious work to do with concentration. Test rooms aren't free of distraction.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I know that my concentration can be pretty arbitrary, just that I find it impossible to concentrate once I change a location midtest. It was difficult to continue where I was.

In either case, should I just forget about that tests? What would people recommend? Continue it at a later point? Perhaps put it in the back and just redo the test in the next several weeks?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 pm

You need to learn to deal with a certain amount of distraction, because odds are the testing center isn't going to be perfectly comfortable and perfectly silent.

I studied for the LSAT with the TV on, with my dad talking to me about what kind of pizza to order, in the (not very quiet) reading rooms in a public library, and at a family friend's house with kids running around. By the time my test day came around, I could have taken the test at a rock concert and not blinked.

mqt

Postby mqt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I know that my concentration can be pretty arbitrary, just that I find it impossible to concentrate once I change a location midtest. It was difficult to continue where I was.

In either case, should I just forget about that tests? What would people recommend? Continue it at a later point? Perhaps put it in the back and just redo the test in the next several weeks?

I'd say find a public place for next PT where you can practice dealing with distractions. Library, coffee house, anything. Don't get in a situation where you have to switch locations if it throws you off that much, but get comfortable enough with distractions and the test that you don't fold over such issues.

As for that PT, unless it was PT 64-66 or your remaining PT options are extremely limited, I'd just go over the questions you got wrong and wipe the whole experience from memory. If you have sections left, use them for your fake experimental section or something. One PT isn't going to do much as long as you're able to make the necessary progress with learning the test.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I made a big mistake in my prep: not testing in public locations with distractions.

I took the test in October, and, lo and behold, I had proctors who didn't know what they were doing. There were only 16 students and 4 proctors, and we were extremely spaced out. Yet the proctors felt the need to walk around the entire test, stop in students' periphery or behind them, and stare at them. I got used to it by the second section. But it really affected my performance for the first section, and as of now, it's what will make or break my score.

So it's good to have distractions. Try to have more of them.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You need to learn to deal with a certain amount of distraction, because odds are the testing center isn't going to be perfectly comfortable and perfectly silent.

I studied for the LSAT with the TV on, with my dad talking to me about what kind of pizza to order, in the (not very quiet) reading rooms in a public library, and at a family friend's house with kids running around. By the time my test day came around, I could have taken the test at a rock concert and not blinked.

This. Proctors are going to be walking around, and may not stay very quiet. Get used to distraction. Your testing center will not be perfectly quiet.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:what would you recommend?

Take another practice test

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm afraid of wasting them. I have only 52,55-66 left until the test (and of course, the October once that is released). I have Superprep A and C left but I don't count those really, since they are so old. I don't want to blow through the preptests while I am not in proper shape.

PS: Most common distractions are not big for me. Walking is not much of an issue. Direct chatter or whispers between people can get to be a bother, but its mainly the surprise stuff that gets to me. I don't expect there to be a sudden need to switch locations at the test.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm

TCR is to freak out and throw an LSAT fit.

But really, just politley tell everyone to not disturb you during the test (im talking like parents not like random people at the cafe), and also practice taking the test in semi noisey places like Starbucs.

So many typos.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Always guess D and eat the score.

Nothing less of perfect test day conditions can possibly benefit your prep.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”