Need a little help with LG

kylemba

Need a little help with LG

Postby kylemba » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm

LG destroyed me on the October test so i'm just going to start now studying for December.

I've done the LG bible and did tons of drills but I have the problem that.. when I go to review questions I get wrong it instantly makes sense to me when I now know what the correct answer is.. so never feel like I can pin point my mistakes to improve..

Any tips?

NoodleyOne

Re: Need a little help with LG

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Okay, do this. Don't grade your LG right after you do it. Print out a second copy and do the game again. If you're getting it wrong both times, you're definitely missing something. If not, you need to make sure you're not being careless and tighten it up.

I think it was Flippacious (however you spell that) that recommended grading your test before you grade your test. Basically, after you finish go through without looking at the answer key and make sure you got every question right. It forces you to look at the whole question instead of just the right answers.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:30 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Okay, do this. Don't grade your LG right after you do it. Print out a second copy and do the game again. If you're getting it wrong both times, you're definitely missing something. If not, you need to make sure you're not being careless and tighten it up.

I think it was Flippacious (however you spell that) that recommended grading your test before you grade your test. Basically, after you finish go through without looking at the answer key and make sure you got every question right. It forces you to look at the whole question instead of just the right answers.

Interesting. Very interesting.

kylemba

Postby kylemba » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Okay, do this. Don't grade your LG right after you do it. Print out a second copy and do the game again. If you're getting it wrong both times, you're definitely missing something. If not, you need to make sure you're not being careless and tighten it up.

Thank you so much this is great!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 pm

I used to be plagued in LG by silly mistakes. I felt like I mastered LG a long time ago, but it took a few months after that to really iron out all the silly -1's and -2's from carelessness.

You might try making a list of the reasons you feel you are missing questions and be specific. Do you misread the question? an answer choice? Did you mis-diagram a rule? Did you forget a rule? Did you refer to the wrong diagram? etc etc etc

Once you become aware of why you are making your silly mistakes, you will (hopefully) pay more attention and make them less often. It worked very well for me and a few others that have tried it upon my recommendation, but the sample size is small, and as NoodleyOne implied, this (careless mistakes) may not be your real problem.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”