Most efficient way to drill RC?

aep1989

Most efficient way to drill RC?

Postby aep1989 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Is it better to drill 1 full section from a PT or 1 passage at a time(8:45 min)? Which way would be best to help with timing issues?

relevantfactor

Re: Most efficient way to drill RC?

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 pm

aep1989 wrote:Is it better to drill 1 full section from a PT or 1 passage at a time(8:45 min)? Which way would be best to help with timing issues?

I did both... It really depends on how much time you have. I found drilling up to 3 back to back sections timed to be the most efficient. At least to me it was.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Just do full sections, maybe slowly at first, untimed, but then move to timed. Get four passages and do them together. One passage at a time will not, I think, do it because there are factors that can hurt you that do not come into play unless you do consecutive sections. Plus, you will not necessarily spend equal time in each passage.

msmith19

Postby msmith19 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Echoing on full sections - I think that LR and RC should be done in full sections because there is a significant component of endurance and fatigue to overcome. That's probably the hardest part about LR and RC is that you have to be at your sharpest for 25 questions consecutively or 4 passages back to back. Can start un-timed and get your accuracy down, then start reducing the amount of time. Honestly, familiarity and developing a personalized strategy helped me the most with RC. And it definitely can be improved - I went from around -7 average to -3 average - without any 'specific' RC work besides sitting down with a stack of passages and drilling.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Some people can find passages separated by type. That might be helpful if it's a certain type of passage that's giving you trouble.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 pm

relevantfactor wrote:Some people can find passages separated by type. That might be helpful if it's a certain type of passage that's giving you trouble.

Just wanted to say I tried this, and while it is ostensibly a good way to go, I found it a detriment to my RC prep. For LR and LG, I found the cambridge packets to be nothing short of awesome, but for RC it seemed like a waste of money. I did mostly this leading up to the June test, and for my retake I worked exclusively with full sections and found it to be the best way.

If you want, do them untimed, or timed and pause after passages/etc, but the problem with working on a per-passage basis is that you will have no idea if you're moving too slowly or not.

If such a list existed (and it doesn't), it would be best to prep with RC by organizational structure. Otherwise, stick to full sections with comprehensive review.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:47 pm

i like doing sections, but writing the time per passage at the top of the page. that way, you get your endurance up and get to gauge your pacing.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
relevantfactor wrote:Some people can find passages separated by type. That might be helpful if it's a certain type of passage that's giving you trouble.

Just wanted to say I tried this, and while it is ostensibly a good way to go, I found it a detriment to my RC prep. For LR and LG, I found the cambridge packets to be nothing short of awesome, but for RC it seemed like a waste of money. I did mostly this leading up to the June test, and for my retake I worked exclusively with full sections and found it to be the best way.

If you want, do them untimed, or timed and pause after passages/etc, but the problem with working on a per-passage basis is that you will have no idea if you're moving too slowly or not.

If such a list existed (and it doesn't), it would be best to prep with RC by organizational structure. Otherwise, stick to full sections with comprehensive review.

Are you saying that there isn't a list separated by RC types? Because there is, if you are saying something else, then my bad.
I do agree with almost everything you said, however, I believe it can be a good supplement to your RC if it's a specific type that's giving you trouble (for example, scientific passages).

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 pm

relevantfactor wrote:Are you saying that there isn't a list separated by RC types? Because there is, if you are saying something else, then my bad.
I do agree with almost everything you said, however, I believe it can be a good supplement to your RC if it's a specific type that's giving you trouble (for example, scientific passages).

There's a list on cambridge of "rc by type" but it is just RC passages by topic, which is like sorting LR by those dealing with dinosaurs or carbon dioxide. It just doesn't have any relevance.

The best and only good way to sort RC passages would be by organizational structure. Something like "Thesis, Critics, problems with critics views," "Old way, new evidence, problems with new evidence," etc etc. I don't think such a list exists, but people have been posting, asking for one between each LSAT administration since as long as I've been hanging around these boards. I honestly don't think it would take longer than a day for someone to do, it's just a matter of motivation for those who have already taken the LSAT (because it requires burning every passage).

Doing this I think would greatly increase someone's ability to learn how to absorb RC passages and I think learning all these organizational structures helps one become a predictive reader which is what leads to stronger comprehension on the passages.

Simply reading a bunch of passages on indian land use laws or female literary criticism of the 1800s isn't necessarily all that useful in my opinion.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm

^ Oh yeah, definitely agree. Pretty good idea for a RC book IMO.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”