Velocity or 7sage, need to make a choice now! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
amnesiac84

New

Velocity or 7sage, need to make a choice now!

Post by amnesiac84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi everyone,
i recently found out i could get the velocity discount so that pretty much evens out the price for the course compared to the 7sage premium.

I only have until december to test date so i really need to make my choice now.

Is the Velocity better?
Is the 7 sage complete any good or should i go with premium?

Thanks!!!

Br3v

Gold

Re: Velocity or 7sage, need to make a choice now!

Post by Br3v » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

amnesiac84 wrote:Hi everyone,
i recently found out i could get the velocity discount so that pretty much evens out the price for the course compared to the 7sage premium.

I only have until december to test date so i really need to make my choice now.

Is the Velocity better?
Is the 7 sage complete any good or should i go with premium?

Thanks!!!
never heard about 7sage. A lot of people (especially the last cycle) used Velocity. I hear they have good LG work, and the owner has a board presence on here (well I think he still does, as of like 3 months ago he did)

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I dig 7sage's videos on youtube, but I can't speak to his class. Honestly didn't even know he had one.

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm

No idea about 7sage. I took Velocity and greatly -- and I mean greatly -- improved on LG. Got better on LR but found a lot of his explanations lacking. RC I didn't use.

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:09 am

I did Velocity for LR and it had some, but not all good stuff. Seen a couple videos for 7sage for games, they are pretty nice, even though his voice will never make it to Hollywood, no matter how bad he may want it to. But then again, Velocity's also known to be good for games, but I never checked it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fianna13

Bronze

Post by Fianna13 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:35 am

Do not choose Velocity. I'm currently enrolled, and I wish I was enrolled either in Manhattan or Blueprint. His games are not that ground breaking, in fact, his way of doing linear games are pretty outdated now, not to mention of his horrible explanations for LR questions. His free lessons are much better than his paid ones, so don't fall into that advertising scheme. I highly recommend Manhattan, I feel like their way of looking at LR is much more useful and methodical, especially if you want to Ace that section. I haven't seen their new LG book yet, but from other people who reviewed it, it's the most helpful LG book out there. I honestly think 7sage way of doing games are better than velocity's.

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 am

Fianna13 wrote:Do not choose Velocity. I'm currently enrolled, and I wish I was enrolled either in Manhattan or Blueprint. His games are not that ground breaking, in fact, his way of doing linear games are pretty outdated now, not to mention of his horrible explanations for LR questions. His free lessons are much better than his paid ones, so don't fall into that advertising scheme. I highly recommend Manhattan, I feel like their way of looking at LR is much more useful and methodical, especially if you want to Ace that section. I haven't seen their new LG book yet, but from other people who reviewed it, it's the most helpful LG book out there. I honestly think 7sage way of doing games are better than velocity's.
I agree with the poster above in relation to Manhattan, it's truly good, and superior to velocity in my personal opinion. While Velocity does have some nice tricks that Manhattan doesn't, overall Manhattan is better - in my opinion.

amnesiac84

New

Post by amnesiac84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 am

It's weird because it used to be people preferred the others to manhattan/blueprint.

One big problem here is the price, manhattan is $1,100 for an accelerated course, 7sage & velocity come to around $350 so i don't think i could go with manhattan unless i had more time (test is in 7 weeks).

I have the old manhattan books and i think they are pretty good, should i just get the new books? they come out pretty late in october so that would just leave me with one month to use them.

Thanks for the replies

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am

amnesiac84 wrote:It's weird because it used to be people preferred the others to manhattan/blueprint.

One big problem here is the price, manhattan is $1,100 for an accelerated course, 7sage & velocity come to around $350 so i don't think i could go with manhattan unless i had more time (test is in 7 weeks).

I have the old manhattan books and i think they are pretty good, should i just get the new books? they come out pretty late in october so that would just leave me with one month to use them.

Thanks for the replies
My office tells me that we start selling our books on the 15th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:45 pm

amnesiac84 wrote:It's weird because it used to be people preferred the others to manhattan/blueprint.

Thanks for the replies
You should go with MLSAT [All three] books and PS books(LR and LG), about 20 PTs (from 44-66) and Cambridge LR and LG bundle. Will be worth more than any of the above if you actually put in the hours. Buy the second edition for MLSAT for LR and RC, wait until the 14th or 15th to get the LG.

You have about 50 days to study, so make it worth it. Don't study more than 8 hours though - not much benefit there.

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I liked Velocity LG, but I agree that Manhattan's LR is better.

amnesiac84

New

Post by amnesiac84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 pm

So should i take 7sage or use the manhattan books?

I've read some bad things about velocity so i don't know if i should take it.

amnesiac84

New

Post by amnesiac84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I already have the second edition MLSAT books so you think it's best to use the LR and RC from those and just buy the new LG? Or should i get all three?
Thanks so much for the replies!
relevantfactor wrote:

Thanks for the replies
You should go with MLSAT [All three] books and PS books(LR and LG), about 20 PTs (from 44-66) and Cambridge LR and LG bundle. Will be worth more than any of the above if you actually put in the hours. Buy the second edition for MLSAT for LR and RC, wait until the 14th or 15th to get the LG.

You have about 50 days to study, so make it worth it. Don't study more than 8 hours though - not much benefit there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for the replies
FYI - the relevant comparison for Manhattan/Velocity is Manhattan's self-study program which is here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-self-study.cfm

I took Velocity and did like it but I'm waiting for my score and taking a harder look at Manhattan's offerings before posting a final review thread so we can get something in the courses sticky for future folks.

mmbt123

New

Post by mmbt123 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I have never tried Velocity but I had the beta version of 7sage and loved it. Their game explanations are all free so you can get a good sense for their instruction through that. I've also tutored in person with some of their staff and personally found them to be very good.

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Just buy the new LG book. The MLSAT LR and RC have enough tools to help you dominate the exam. No need to spend money of velocity. Almost every single question's explanation can be found @ Manhattan's forum. Do the chapters, drill, check every single answer, re-do questions that are troublesome, take PTs, and you should be fine.

Also, a lot of those prep companies that cost thousands of dollars are usually doing the same. If you can read instead of having a person telling you the same thing, then self-prep is the way to go.

Oh, and be aware of 1-2 post posters. Those guys can be sneaky.

amnesiac84

New

Post by amnesiac84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Ok i just think i could use a little boost, maybe i could justify buying the new LG book and the basic 7sage service. Just to cover more material.
Thanks a lot relevantfactor it's good to get advice from real people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm

amnesiac84 wrote:Ok i just think i could use a little boost, maybe i could justify buying the new LG book and the basic 7sage service. Just to cover more material.
Thanks a lot relevantfactor it's good to get advice from real people.
Anytime, let me know if you have any questions.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey guys, I'm with 7Sage. I wanted to answer a few of the questions from this thread.

* Haven't heard of 7Sage

If you haven't heard our name, you might have seen some of our LG videos on Youtube. They're free, and pretty popular.

Youtube is a bit disorganized, you can find well-ordered HD videos of the same explanations here: http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

Those explanations are probably the best way of judging whether you'll like the full course

* LSAT Complete ($179) vs. LSAT Premium ($349)

Both courses have our full curriculum of lessons, which covers all sections using real LSAT questions in the videos and practice sets.

The difference between these two courses is the number of preptests. Premium has 20, Complete has 6. The pre-tests come with full video explanations, so getting the extra 14 tests with explanations would be the main reason to upgrade.

If you just want preptests without explanations, you should buy the "Complete" course. Its always cheapest to get pre-tests yourself. LSAT licensing is the most expensive part of an online LSAT course. LSAC often charges companies more than it charges students for the same materials (specifically, the books of ten tests).

* Manhattan Books vs. 7Sage

Do you like books, or do you like videos? That may decide the issue for you. Ironically, I strongly prefer books to videos, because I read much faster than I listen. So if I were studying for the LSAT again, I would use books, probably Manhattan or Powerscore.

On the other hand, if you learn better with video, then you'll probably like our video course more than the Manhattan books.

If you like both books and video, then review our games explanations and flip through the Manhattan books at a store. It's the only way you'll know what works best for you. They're not exclusive methods either. If you're having a lot of difficulty with, say, necessary assumption questions, it's useful to consult multiple sources.

You can get all three Manhattan books for $67, or the least expensive 7Sage course for $179. Both *combined* are far cheaper than any other option out there.

* Happy To Answer Any Other Questions

I'll be monitoring this thread, so ask away.
Last edited by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amnesiac84

New

Post by amnesiac84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 pm

So the 6 pretest that come with the complete don't have explanations?
graeme wrote:Hey guys, I'm with 7Sage. I wanted to answer a few of the questions from this thread.

* LSAT Complete ($179) vs. LSAT Premium ($349)

Both courses have our full curriculum of lessons, which covers all sections using real LSAT questions in the videos and practice sets.

The difference between these two courses is the number of preptests. Premium has 20, Complete has 6. The pre-tests come with full video explanations, which are the main reason you would want to upgrade.

If you just want preptests without explanations, you should buy the "Complete" course. Its always cheapest to get pre-tests yourself. LSAT licensing is the most expensive part of an online LSAT course. LSAC often charges companies more than it charges students for the same materials (specifically, the books of ten tests).

* Manhattan Books vs. 7Sage

Do you like books, or do you like videos? That may decide the issue for you. Ironically, I strongly prefer books to videos, because I read much faster than I listen. So if I were studying for the LSAT again, I would use books, probably Manhattan or Powerscore.

On the other hand, if you learn better with video, then you'll probably like our video course more than the Manhattan books.

If you like both books and video, then review our games explanations and flip through the Manhattan books at a store. It's the only way you'll know what works best for you. They're not exclusive methods either. If you're having a lot of difficulty with, say, necessary assumption questions, it's useful to consult multiple sources.

You can get all three Manhattan books for $67, or the least expensive 7Sage course for $179. Both *combined* are far cheaper than any other option out there.

* Happy To Answer Any Other Questions

I'll be monitoring this thread, so ask away.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 pm

I edited my post to clarify. All the tests come with explanations. If you buy Premium, you get 20, if you buy complete, you get 6. So upgrading gets you 14 more full tests with explanations.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:22 am

graeme wrote:I edited my post to clarify. All the tests come with explanations. If you buy Premium, you get 20, if you buy complete, you get 6. So upgrading gets you 14 more full tests with explanations.
Graeme, the only bad thing that I ever heard of 7sage is that it went above the necessary explanation needed. As in, it explained things that weren't needed. Could you elaborate or defend this point a bit? As I have never taken 7sage, but I did hear this, and if I heard it, others have too.

meager

New

Post by meager » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:09 pm

In their preptest explanations, particularly LR, they do make an effort to address each answer choice but their review of each one is not over the top at all. Most of the time spent during their Q review is focused on analyzing the stimulus/identifying gaps/ prephrasing answers when possible (ESPECIALLY with the assumption questions).

If the answer is completely wrong after the first 5 words, most of the time he'll simply say "no, that's not right at all" and move on. It's not a labored process.
They're actually pretty good at identifying the nuance behind tricky answer choices or apparently tricky answer choices.

hondars112

New

Post by hondars112 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:16 am

I have taken both Velocity and 7sage. I strongly recommend 7sage.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Hey relevantfactor, meager put it pretty well. We try to keep our videos as short as possible while still being comprehensive.

I'll add that since the LSAT is such a complex test, some things are obvious to 30-40% of students, but extremely difficult to the rest. So some people may watch a video and think there is unnecessary detail because they don't realize they already understand a concept that *isn't* obvious to most students. When I teach in person (I don't do the videos), the hardest part is remembering not to skip over steps that seem "obvious" to me, but that are actually quite difficult.

We do have the option to speed up or slow down videos, so you can skim over parts you understand. I recommend checking out our LG explanations to get a sense of the level of detail provided.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”