Taking Time Off from LSAT Prep

lawyerdude

Taking Time Off from LSAT Prep

Postby lawyerdude » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am

After exhausting preparation for the October LSAT, and then deciding to retake in December, I've decided I need a break from LSAT materials. How much do you guys think 2-4 weeks away from the LSAT would hurt/help my hard attained skills? Anyone with experience?

boblawlob

Re: Taking Time Off from LSAT Prep

Postby boblawlob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am

no experience, but 2-4 weeks sounds like a lot. 1 week max imo.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am

After June I took 5-6 weeks off, although I also didn't expect to have to retake until I saw my score.

Given that December is already less than two months away, ask yourself how much prep you think you need to get where you wan to be.

Definitely take at least this week off, but be careful about taking much more than that.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am

Save your break for December 2nd. Now is no time to stop.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am

I didn't study at all between June and when the scores came out, to start my prep again I took another PT and scored higher than I did on any PT I did before June so I don't think taking a few weeks off before the scores come out hurts, if anything I think it may help to give yourself a break.

kylemba

Postby kylemba » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Take a week or so off and get back in the gym and see your gf that thinks you're dead.. I honestly believe this test can consume you and you can definitely burn out if you study too much...

Postby 05062014 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm

I am holding off at least 2 weeks. I can visualize so many questions and tell you more than you need to know for this test. I think it is all still sinking in for us and rest will do us more good than going straight through.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 am

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to retake, but in the back of my mind, every time I've tried to open a prep book or do a section, an annoying little voice keeps telling me that I might have done well enough not to retake. (And I'm pretty sure the LG section murdered me). I hope it won't be too bad for me to start prepping again in three weeks...

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am

spend the time working on your study schedule. That's what I'm going to do.

Lurkington

Postby Lurkington » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Last edited by Lurkington on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 pm

lawyerdude wrote:After exhausting preparation for the October LSAT, and then deciding to retake in December, I've decided I need a break from LSAT materials. How much do you guys think 2-4 weeks away from the LSAT would hurt/help my hard attained skills? Anyone with experience?

This is what happened, I studied INTENSIVELY for about six months, and I had been studying/taking practice exams on and off for a full year before that, but not seriously.

I took the June LSAT and did NOT get a score for a top 10 school, so I was like: I'm done with this, shouldn't be a lawyer, getting a new job. I didn't study for a month and a half.

Finally one day I wake up and tell myself to stop being a whiny bitch, I take a practice exam and score much higher than ever before. Just saying, you reach a point where LR and LG simply become part of you, like riding a bike and then going back to them after a long break can actually be good for you.

lawyerdude

Postby lawyerdude » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:31 am

This is really interesting. I think the consensus is that it takes time to "seep in." I recall in a distant AP Psych class that it takes some time for short term memory to convert to long term memory, or for your subconscious to absorb what you've learned and internalized it. Perhaps an even better strategy would be to study intensely for 3-4 months, and then stop a week before the test, except maybe a few very light problems the day before?

Postby 05062014 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 am

I don't plan on studying for my retake until november It feels like what I have learned is not going to be going away any time soon

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:54 am

it hasnt even been a week yet. its perfectly fine to step back ( and depending on the intensity of your october prep- id highly advise it) take the rest of the week off- and the weekend. Try some games or a RC section early next week. if you feelburnt out stop and rest some more. YOu do not want to suffer from burnout in december.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 am

abdistotle wrote:I don't plan on studying for my retake until november It feels like what I have learned is not going to be going away any time soon

Same :P

jato

Postby jato » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 pm

abdistotle wrote:I don't plan on studying for my retake until november It feels like what I have learned is not going to be going away any time soon

Same here. I've pretty much exhausted all my prep material and practice tests and really gave it my best shot on the Oct exam. I, like many, bombed the LG section. In all honesty I'm not sure how much of a benefit I would gain from retaking tests that I've already retaken less than a few weeks ago. I will wait to see my score and then give myself time during the remaining 4 weeks to prep once again.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't think any of us that worked hard for months for October need to jump on the re-studying train right away. Abdistotle, while I want to wait for my score to come back as well, I think its really easy to take 1-2 PTs and spend maybe 6 hours a week on prep in the meantime, the point being just keeping the cobwebs off your LSAT skills. I'm really most concerned with just staying fresh and keeping my timing down, so I think I will be approaching my prep with the attitude of maintaining my performance while augmenting it through additional prep I couldn't squeeze in before October.

This was my first time taking the LSAT, and while nerves didn't really get to me and I felt pretty good after the exam, I just don't know what number LSAC will come back with. I hate this wait, but there's no better time to retake than in December, and it can't hurt to do so, so I think I will be joining you guys.

Does anyone agree that maintaining my level until scores come back is a good approach? Or is a full out 4-5 hours a day what you guys are going to be jumping back in to? I'm back in engineering school for my senior year so I don't have that much time to study as I did while I worked full time over the summer unfortunately...

Postby 05062014 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 am

I think you're right about not getting too rusty. I may take 1 PT a week till November just to keep my mind somewhat on task. I truly believe, like many high scorers on forums have reported in the past, giving yourself a crucial rest period after intense prep for an extended period of time may be just the thing to put everything you have learned into perspective. I have exhausted my materials, but this rest period also allows me to forget a lot of problems I did in June and July prepping for October. I went hard for my first shot at this thing, and if I did not run out of time on RC, things could not have really gone much smoother. I feel ready and I know which section requires my due focus for December. I may do games for fun for the next few weeks also and just start reading more with a focus on maintaining concentration. I think I would rather go hard for 4 weeks with a sense of urgency this time than start now and get complacent ~Nov 20th

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

abdistotle wrote:I think you're right about not getting too rusty. I may take 1 PT a week till November just to keep my mind somewhat on task. I truly believe, like many high scorers on forums have reported in the past, giving yourself a crucial rest period after intense prep for an extended period of time may be just the thing to put everything you have learned into perspective. I have exhausted my materials, but this rest period also allows me to forget a lot of problems I did in June and July prepping for October. I went hard for my first shot at this thing, and if I did not run out of time on RC, things could not have really gone much smoother. I feel ready and I know which section requires my due focus for December. I may do games for fun for the next few weeks also and just start reading more with a focus on maintaining concentration. I think I would rather go hard for 4 weeks with a sense of urgency this time than start now and get complacent ~Nov 20th

I'm with you on this one. I feel the same way. Is it bad that we consider games fun? :P

Postby 05062014 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am

It is only bad if we fucked up the games section on the oct test

Postby 05062014 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:21 pm

I would like to revise my previous position. After getting through most of my midterms this week while recovering from general exhaustion related to lsat prep and studying/writing for midterms, I think I will be attacking some tests casually starting mid next week when my last midterm is over.

I think the key is moderation (to prevent burnout while balancing class or work) and attitude (staying positive and acknowledging the sticky situation we are in mentally after trying so hard for our first shot at this exam). What we have done so far has not been a wasted effort regardless of how we do on the October test. We can actually appreciate the fact that we are ready for the test and it is about tailoring our approach to maximize the benefits of what we already know.

We had to worry about the experience of taking this test. I don't know about any of you, but it seems like there was no reason for me to do marginally worse on the real exam. I would actually say having the testing environment prepared for us gave us an edge for the exam. There is no reason not to improve from now until then.Every point counts so why wait to see your score when you can use it to motivate your retake efforts, regardless of how you do? Listen to your mind and body and just keep grinding.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:10 pm

I wanted to open a new thread titled: "Now What" but I guess this one can work too.

I have taken the oct (sabbath observers') test and since then have yet to start any prep for the - perhaps - dec test. I am unsure how I did, I left feeling pretty bad. On the one hand I dont want to not do any work for 3 weeks and then realize I need to retake (I registered just in case. fee waiver) but I can't seem to sit and do actual prep yet. Up until the exam I was so fired up and had a goal in mind. Now I have a feeling of emptiness that only other serious LSAT people can understand.

So what is you advice for me? I re-ordered PT 29-38 and 40-46 to re-start the LSAT Blog study schedule (which I found really useful if others are considering buying it. I hightly recommend it. small price for great value) and they will be here tomorrow.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't shake the odd feeling since Wed's exam but at the same time I think I need to get back to work.

Postby 05062014 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:38 pm

I feel that. I put many many hours into prep for october and the fact that I felt prepared for everything except a timing mishap on RC makes studying right now seem like it does not really have too much direction. We need to realize, if December is not appropriately dominated, either we sit out for a year or we go to a college that will take what we have. The stakes could not be higher.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 pm

abdistotle wrote:I feel that. I put many many hours into prep for october and the fact that I felt prepared for everything except a timing mishap on RC makes studying right now seem like it does not really have too much direction. We need to realize, if December is not appropriately dominated, either we sit out for a year or we go to a college that will take what we have. The stakes could not be higher.

I agree with you overall. However I can't afford to wait a whole year, and I would prefer to retake than hold a whole cycle. I am trying to overcome the feeling I have about starting to prep and I was wondering if more people are in this emptiness boat. Maybe I need a new goal and tell myself I'm taking the dec test no matter what

Postby 05062014 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Lol, I don't want to wait a year either. The stakes (which are significantly diminished if you don't take December and wait a year) I mentioned should inspire you to give it your all for December. Your goal is to triumph in the reality of the hand you have been given. That is what will be driving me for December. If that does not do it, what will?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”