Submit Applications Using October '12 LSAT

SumStalwart

Submit Applications Using October '12 LSAT

Postby SumStalwart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:43 am

Hey guys,

I am curious about my logic here. Currently, I am finishing up my applications and planning on submitting them when I get the October '12 LSAT. If I didn't do as well as I planned and retake it in December, would I be able to then submit the new LSAT as well? How would that process work out? In addition, would that put me in a more advantageous position than just holding out until the December scores come out?

Thanks for your opinions!

SumStalwart

Re: Submit Applications Using October '12 LSAT

Postby SumStalwart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

Do you guys know if this is a viable/realistic option? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or anything would be appreciated xD

annet

Postby annet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:07 pm

It's my understanding from working in other admissions offices (never law) that if you apply with your October score you're saying to the schools that it's fine to go ahead, review your file, and make a decision. If you score significantly better in December you'll be able to negotiate with the schools that accepted you but if you were dinged or waitlisted at other schools you'll have to write each school, tell them you have a new score, and ask to be re-reviewed. It's my understanding that schools won't automatically go back and review your file just because they see you got a new LSAT score.

So, I guess, there's no harm in applying to schools that will most likely accept you with your October score. But I would put some thought into whether or not to send your October score to your reach schools if you didn't do as well as planned.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks for the response, annet.

I was worried about that. If it turns out that I underperformed this test, do you think that I would be better off holding off submitting my applications until the end of December? Even though that is only during the middle of the admissions cycle, it seems a little late... Also, what is the likelihood, in the case that they ding me, that they would reconsider my application?

Even though this is completely hypothetical, it's still extraordinarily helpful for me; it's good to know my options.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I doubt once they reject you, they can go back and reconsider in the same cycle. I'm just going to submit an addendum saying i'm planning on taking the december lsat, and ask them to please hold off their decision until the score. That way you'll be ahead of people that just submit after the december LSAT.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm

mcs268,

That sounds like a good idea. Do you think that the AD Coms will respect that request? Does anyone have experience on this matter?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”