How to best prepare for LG's after October test?

inevitable510

How to best prepare for LG's after October test?

Postby inevitable510 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 pm

What PT's are reminiscent of the LG's featured in the October test? Everyone here seems to be saying that they were pretty tough. Thanks!

DaRascal

Re: How to best prepare for LG's after October test?

Postby DaRascal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Actually nevermind. Don't think I broke any rules but I just don't feel great talking about games! :P
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm

I think that giving you the answer here might be considered specific info, if the limits on talking about the Oct test are still in place, so posters after me be warned ... but either way ... lol at everyone reconsidering their approaches to games (me included). Mother fucking zones.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 pm

M.M. wrote:lol at everyone reconsidering their approaches to games (me included). Mother fucking zones.

Yup.

The worst part about it is that I can't remember exactly what it was that made zones so hard.

Don't even know where to start.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:32 pm

seancris wrote:
M.M. wrote:lol at everyone reconsidering their approaches to games (me included). Mother fucking zones.

Yup.

The worst part about it is that I can't remember exactly what it was that made zones so hard.

Don't even know where to start.

IMO it was the rules & the overall game type. The rules were waaaaay over-complicated, much more than typical games, IMO. Also I have never seen a game like that before, it was like a grouping game within a grouping game.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm

rglifberg wrote:IMO it was the rules & the overall game type. The rules were waaaaay over-complicated, much more than typical games, IMO. Also I have never seen a game like that before, it was like a grouping game within a grouping game.

Yup. Grar

Don't think I've seen a game quite like that either, after 30+ PTs, 3 books on logic games, and a prep course.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:45 pm

It was a standard, undefined unbalanced grouping game. And honestly, the rules were very restrictive. I get the feeling this is being blown up way too much. This certainly wasn't Stained Glass level of difficulty, or Dinos for that matter.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:04 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:It was a standard, undefined unbalanced grouping game. And honestly, the rules were very restrictive. I get the feeling this is being blown up way too much. This certainly wasn't Stained Glass level of difficulty, or Dinos for that matter.

Correlation does not equal causation, however, if this many people find the game to be exceptionally hard, it probably was. That's awesome that you didn't find it difficult, i envy you, but, that doesn't mean it wasn't really hard. Also, just because the rules were restrictive doesn't mean it was easy. They may have been restrictive but I found them to be faaar more over-complicated than the typical LG. I found Dinos and Stained Glass to be much easier simply because the rules were much more coherent and understandable.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 pm

The above argument is flawed because:

a) Relies on a sample that may not be representative of the entire population

I'm not saying the game wasn't hard, but the amount of complaining about it is not indicative of its actual difficulty. There seems to be a very vocal group complaining about it now, but I don't think that it is necessarily the case that it was as difficult as everyone who is complaining says.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:The above argument is flawed because:

I'm not saying the game wasn't hard, but the amount of complaining about it is not indicative of its actual difficulty. There seems to be a very vocal group complaining about it now, but I don't think that it is necessarily the case that it was as difficult as everyone who is complaining says.

The argument exhibits faulty parallel reasoning as the argument above because:

a) It bases its conclusion on a sample that may not be representative of the entire population.

The game was fucking hard. Again, that's awesome you did not find it difficult, though.

kaseyb002

Postby kaseyb002 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm

rglifberg wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:It was a standard, undefined unbalanced grouping game. And honestly, the rules were very restrictive. I get the feeling this is being blown up way too much. This certainly wasn't Stained Glass level of difficulty, or Dinos for that matter.

Correlation does not equal causation, however, if this many people find the game to be exceptionally hard, it probably was. That's awesome that you didn't find it difficult, i envy you, but, that doesn't mean it wasn't really hard. Also, just because the rules were restrictive doesn't mean it was easy. They may have been restrictive but I found them to be faaar more over-complicated than the typical LG. I found Dinos and Stained Glass to be much easier simply because the rules were much more coherent and understandable.

Yes. For me it was a matter of comprehenstion. I overheard someone talking about it after the test, and when they explained the setup I just thought, "That's it!? That's a piece of cake!"

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Difficutly is so largely subjective that I don't even know how to classify a game as objectively difficult or not difficult. I could say the same thing about the dinosaur game. I for the life of me don't see what made that game hard at all. It plays to my strengths: simple language, a few very limiting, concrete rules, and basic templates. Also three of the seven dinosaurs can only be one color.

If people are complaining about the difficulty, then it was difficult for them, and it's beneficial to complain (for catharsis) and hopefully productively figure out what factors made that game difficult once the PT comes out and the bans are lifted. This whole trying to objectively argue whether a game is difficult thing is silly.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Honestly, the Oct test wasn't really a game-changer. You shouldn't adjust your study habits just because of everyone bemoaning zoning. I agree that it was a fairly challenging game, but the practice I did beforehand prepared me well.

One thing you might try is doing some ambiguous/rare types without reading how to approach them first. If you can figure out weird combos on the fly, you'll be set for almost anything LSAC throws at you.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm

So it was an in-and-out basically?

insd

Postby insd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I agree that the language is what threw me off in that particular game. I spent an unnecessary amount of time on the 1st game and then started to panic a little. By the time I got to zones, I had about 6 minutes, and the confusing wording just threw me for a loop. I did dinosaurs during practice and it only took me like 6 minutes with complete accuracy. I haven't tried stained glass, but zoning just really came as a surprise... Damn LSAC

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Agreed I went through the dino game and stained glass and didnt miss a question. I think the zone game was hard because of the language. The later questions in the game helped me finally figure it out however I think I may end up missing 1 or 2 in LG. I have never seen a game like that and was really hoping that was the exp but to no avail.

vegso

Postby vegso » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 pm

I think it was unusual in how unclear the language was in parts, but overall the difficulty of the actual game wasn't abnormal at all

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I agree with the above poster: it really was the language that threw me off. I think I did every other question because when I would get to one that said zone or sub zone too many times my brain was just too fried to comprehend it. But once I started working through the other questions (and thus making some scenarios and really working the rules) I was able to go back to the questions I had skipped and understand what they were saying.

So only think that I would get out of this moving forward is that Zones was a good example of the benefit of using the first question (the elimination question as they called it in my BP class) to further your understanding of the rules and make you more comfortable with them for the rest of the game. Sometimes you just need to dive right in to understand it.

TomThompson

Postby TomThompson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 am

I didn't actually think it was that hard, it was mainly the simple rules that perhaps people were thrown off by. I didn't think it was very amenable to setting up a diagram and I kind of regret doing that. Just using plug and chug I think I could have finished all of them.

edit- Of course the other possibility is that I misinterpreted them horribly and went 0 for 6 :D

lsatownsme

Postby lsatownsme » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 am

If the language used in the game was hard to understand, then the game was hard...

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 am

that zone game was hard as phuckkk.i still wish the experimental section was the real lg sectioni did good on that section. lg use to be my best section but now i gotta refine it and drill it then redo it untili have it ingrained in me.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 am

beautyistruth wrote:

Difficutly is so largely subjective that I don't even know how to classify a game as objectively difficult or not difficult. I could say the same thing about the dinosaur game. I for the life of me don't see what made that game hard at all. It plays to my strengths: simple language, a few very limiting, concrete rules, and basic templates. Also three of the seven dinosaurs can only be one color.

If people are complaining about the difficulty, then it was difficult for them, and it's beneficial to complain (for catharsis) and hopefully productively figure out what factors made that game difficult once the PT comes out and the bans are lifted. This whole trying to objectively argue whether a game is difficult thing is silly.

May be good for them to complain. May also be equally/more harmful to others that haven't taken the test to get unduly stressed about a mystery game type that they can't prepare for if that is not the case.

airplay355

Postby airplay355 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am

When I got to the zones game I figured they had thrown it in there because the other 3 games were straight forward and easy. Seems they give you 4 moderately hard games or some easy and some hard. Never all easy :D

semigloss

Postby semigloss » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Ok, I have to agree with people saying that Zones wasn't a huge horrible, ugly monster that most people are making it out to be. But also, the game was not a cakewalk by any means. I also do not know how indicative it is for how the LG section will look like in the future (duh).

I would look at the LGs where you have to determine the reg/yellow/green houses on either side of a block,
the game with the semi dumping off diff loads of cargo,
the game with the clown hiding diff colored balls in a stack,
and the game where you have to dress up two mannequins in a store.

I dont remember what tests these are in (sorry!), and the games I mentioned aren't say... siblings of the Zones game. The 'feeling' I had while doing these was similar to Zones in the test.
Do some older LG's when studying (30s or something), esp. once you have the basic concepts of the most recent LGs down. They are generally more 'fun' to do, in my opinion.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Agree with those saying the rules are what made this game challenging. I had about 6 minutes left going in to that game, and just could not understand how to interpret them. I imagine having some time to think about the game in a low-pressure environment will reveal that it is not as complex as some previous games. That being said, I would much rather have had a game similar to dinos or stained glass than zones, because at least I could have immediatley got to work (even if I wouldn't have finished), instead of just staring dumbfounded and pretty much guessing on all of them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”