Need advice looking ahead for the December LSAT..

M.M.

Need advice looking ahead for the December LSAT..

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:40 am

Just took the October LSAT, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to retake. First a little history on me to help inform your advice ...
- took princeton review course and finished ~4 months ago, didn't really take the course as seriously as I should have
- self studied afterwards, basically forgot all Princeton Review's strategies etc.
- was scoring ~166 - 168 average on PTs going into the October exam
- Not sure what I got, but I doubt I got 170+, which is what I'm aiming for
- Now looking to take the December exam

Here are my two options:

1. Self study and take a bunch of PTs and timed sections
2. Take an MLSAT accelerated course and study hard, pay for additional tutoring to help me with things I'm having trouble with (getting to -0 on LG, reviewing everything in general, inference and assumption questions which compose ~70% of my missed LR questions).

Pros and cons of doing either an MLSAT course + tutoring or self studying:

I really don't use any "strategies" when doing LR and RC - despite being in a symbolic logic class, I don't even attempt to diagram conditional statements because they've just never helped me get anywhere ... I could symbolize them correctly, but then not necessarily use them for answer choices. I use simple things like the negation test and MLSAT's "therefore" test, but for LR I really basically just use my intuition. I basically just look for important stuff to underline and circle in RC, and try to take note of the logical structure of passages and how they progress. Obviously in LG I diagram, but that's about it. Despite pretty much just using my intuition in LR and RC, I do decently well, going about -6 total on 2 LRs and -4 on RC.

But do you think I could benefit from taking a MLSAT accelerated course? I would be 100% dedicated as opposed to how I was taking my first course. I feel to a certain extent the combination of actually using strategies and my intuition could reap significant rewards, but the course isn't very long, and I don't have much time before the December LSAT. Furthermore, trying to adjust to new strategies could even hinder me if I don't do it adequately, and I could end up scoring worse on the December LSAT than had I just self studied.

On the other hand, self studying really has not seemed to benefit me much at all. This may be because I admittedly haven't taken enough PTs and done enough timed sections for LR and RC, but on the other hand, despite doing hundreds of LGs I still go ~-5 on LG, I honestly feel reviewing to be tedious and completely unproductive (especially since I don't use strategies, so it isn't like I can point to steps in strategies I missed on say, LR questions).

Some cliffs of the pros / cons:
Pros for MLSAT class:
- I don't really use any strategies, an MLSAT class would definitely help me there
- I really don't feel my reviewing of PTs and timed sections is helpful, a tutor / course could teach my how to review effectively
- It would definitely keep me on a strict study schedule
- If I didn't feel I had enough time for the Dec LSAT, I MIGHT be open to taking the Feb LSAT ...

Cons for MLSAT class:
- switching to using strategies might actually hinder me if I don't learn to do it well enough before the December LSAT
- Cost obviously
- I'm not sure if the class is long enough, and also whether I'll have enough time on top of lessons to do a bunch of PTs after going through their courses (the course ends like 5 days before the December LSAT)
- I'm not sure whether the course will really push me into the 170s

Pros for self study:
- I admittedly haven't done a ton of PTs, nor done a bunch of timed sections for LR and RC, self studying and drilling a ton of them might help me up my scores
- I'd save money
- Wouldn't have to worry about implementing new strategies etc.

Cons of self study:
- I've done a lot of LGs ... and still am nowhere near -0. I need to find a better way than what I've been doing.
- I have no idea how to review
- I'm honestly kinda frustrated at this point

I know it seems like I've asked this question already on here, and my apologies, but my thoughts change at every stage ... and sorry if this is very long, but I'm trying to get the best advice possible, and hopefully if I do I won't have to make another one of these threads ever again ...

vegso

Re: Need advice looking ahead for the December LSAT..

Postby vegso » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 am

this forum is like a free tutor 24/7, with all the prep advice you could ever hope for.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am

vegso wrote:this forum is like a free tutor 24/7, with all the prep advice you could ever hope for.

Nah... It's a great place but the specialized focus and in the moment, focused, structured help
that tutoring offers >

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Bump ... I might be leaning towards not taking a course, doing a ton of PTs, and if I don't get my goal in december, take a summer LSAT course, go balls to the wall, and retake in October as my last chance, delaying my application a year (even though I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO) and giving myself another year of UG to potentially pick up a second degree while raising my GPA ...

Eff. That would actually be a decent option had I not had to take so many remedial classes going into UG, and it wasn't already my fifth year... thoughts ???

annet

Postby annet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm

I guess a relevant question would be what is your financial situation? How are you going to pay for that 6th year of ug? Will a year of 4.0 in basket weaving boost your gpa such that it's a worthwhile investment?

As for the course, it's a lot of money but looking at the schedule is appears to be almost guaranteed accountability. Were you averaging more 166s than 168s? The TLS hive-mind wisdom seems to indicate that the higher your score the less necessary a course is for those last few points.

I'm not sure the MLSAT course is going to teach you much that you don't already know. And if you're committed to 100% dedication prior to December then you can self-study with that same dedication. If you have the money or have people willing to give you the money, you can always opt for a few hours of private tutoring to shore up any areas where you're having significant problems.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

annet wrote:I guess a relevant question would be what is your financial situation? How are you going to pay for that 6th year of ug? Will a year of 4.0 in basket weaving boost your gpa such that it's a worthwhile investment?

I'll take on more debt, unfortunately. And I'm not sure; I MIGHT be able to boost my GPA up by .1 from ~3.7 to ~3.8, but this is more, I guess, a question of "if I screw up the December LSAT, do I continue school or cut my losses and go to a highly ranked TT? I pretty much have nothing other than school worthwhile to do if I don't apply this fall.

As for the course, it's a lot of money but looking at the schedule is appears to be almost guaranteed accountability. Were you averaging more 166s than 168s? The TLS hive-mind wisdom seems to indicate that the higher your score the less necessary a course is for those last few points.

Yeah, I'm aware of the wisdom, which is one of my concerns ... I really don't know, I only took ~12 PTs, and the last 5 were (I think, I can't pull up my recordings right now) - 166, 165, 168, 167, 169

I'm not sure the MLSAT course is going to teach you much that you don't already know. And if you're committed to 100% dedication prior to December then you can self-study with that same dedication. If you have the money or have people willing to give you the money, you can always opt for a few hours of private tutoring to shore up any areas where you're having significant problems.

Oh don't worry, I'm certainly dedicated ... as I've said, I seriously do not want to take another year of UG. I'll be putting in even more time than I was, but this time it'll be dedicated to drilling and PTs rather than trying and failing to make the LSAT methodological via techniques. Despite my debt, I can certainly afford some tutoring.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 am

Up...

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

One more I guess?

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:42 am

go with self study and buy the manhattan guides instead. since its a retake focus on RC,LG by type and LR by type. dont do full mixed LR's yet till you nail the types you are weak at that are frequent such as assumption or flaw. buy test 66 and LSAT superprep

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:go with self study and buy the manhattan guides instead. since its a retake focus on RC,LG by type and LR by type. dont do full mixed LR's yet till you nail the types you are weak at that are frequent such as assumption or flaw. buy test 66 and LSAT superprep

But that mixes two problems inherent in either approach:
1. I don't feel very confident in my self teaching abilities
2. I will have to adopt a totally new approach to the LSAT and perfect it, as well as take numerous PTs, in 6-7 weeks, while working part time and taking 15 credits.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”