Snag internship/paralegal job off high LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PeanutsNJam

Gold

Snag internship/paralegal job off high LSAT?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Would it be possible if we have a low GPA to throw a high LSAT around and snag interviews and jobs as temp interns/paralegals at law firms?

chadbrochill

Bronze

Re: Snag internship/paralegal job off high LSAT?

Post by chadbrochill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I feel like that would hurt you, they would rather hire someone who isn't a flight risk.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Yea, they don't care much about your LSAT. Legal Assistant positions are important, but they certainly wont require any intense LSAT knowledge, especially since 30-40% of what you do will probably comprise of copying and the rest of it will simply be assembling documents. They just need someone who can write, they don't need a logical genius. If you tell them your LSAT is high, their head will go: he is going to ditch us for law school at the earliest convenience.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Doesn't matter. Just go for the job.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Most, if not all, law firms don't care about the gpa's of their interns/paralegals. They tend to take on who they like and who seems bright & intelligent. I wouldn't even mention getting a high LSAT score, but talk about being interested in being an attorney some day. They don't need to know that "some day" means in a year or two after your application gets a work experience boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm

would it be all that bad to just tell them I only intend on working for 1-2 years and want to go to law school?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Are you looking at big law firms in major markets or smaller firms in a town? It makes a big difference. NYC big law doesn't really do interns and frequently has GPA floors. Lots of them ask you to make a two year commitment to work prior to ditching for law school, but some firms don't really enforce it.

cornellLaw

New

Post by cornellLaw » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I work in such a position at a top 25 big law. I came in to the position with an expectation that I would work there for 2 years and then go to law school. They did give me that impression when I applied though. I do not think it is a negative if you imply you plan to go to law school.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Would you guys suggest working in firms in cities that aren't NYC or Chicago but still decent cities, like Ann Arbor, San Fran, Nashville, etc.? Does WE there count for a significant boost in an application?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”