A Question for the 170+ scorers on past LSAT tests (not PTs)

1TLStudent

A Question for the 170+ scorers on past LSAT tests (not PTs)

Postby 1TLStudent » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:17 pm

When you got the 170+ score, what were your general feelings towards your preformance when leaving the test and the next day? Also, and more importantly, during the sections did you have time to go over your answers for 5-10 seconds after working out the answer choice you picked and go "yeah thats right" or was it more like you worked through and picked what you thought but werent able to do any extra check at the end of each question to feel 100% confident before moving on? Trying to gauge if my feelings toward my performance (felt bad immediately after, good a few hours later and just overly concerned/skeptical now) and the fact that I had no time to double check my answers is strong enough evidence to merit considering cancelling since I already scored a 166 and do not want a lower score. Thanks for your insight.

rinkrat19

Re: A Question for the 170+ scorers on past LSAT tests (not PTs)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Everyone's reactions to a test they just took are different, and people judge their own performances in different ways and with varying degrees of accuracy. Nothing anyone tells you will be of any use whatsoever.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 pm

1TLStudent wrote:When you got the 170+ score, what were your general feelings towards your preformance when leaving the test and the next day? Also, and more importantly, during the sections did you have time to go over your answers for 5-10 seconds after working out the answer choice you picked and go "yeah thats right" or was it more like you worked through and picked what you thought but werent able to do any extra check at the end of each question to feel 100% confident before moving on? Trying to gauge if my feelings toward my performance (felt bad immediately after, good a few hours later and just overly concerned/skeptical now) and the fact that I had no time to double check my answers is strong enough evidence to merit considering cancelling since I already scored a 166 and do not want a lower score. Thanks for your insight.

I made a 170 in June. When I left the test, I felt like I could have made anywhere from a 160-180, and a lot of people - other 170+ers included - felt the same way. Part of my problem was choking on a logic game (game 1, I ended up -3 on the game and the section), and the other part was not knowing LR as well as I would have liked and thus having a lot of unpredictable fluctuation on my PTs, giving me no real gauge to predict how I did. I felt better after sleeping on it even despite the uncertainty and didn't cancel.
I worked through the whole section and went back to check after I finished, then and yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to on a few (the scored ones of course, had PLENTY of time on the experimental!), when I usually have 10 minutes each on PTs. Don't worry too much about it - I think that's just what test day does to a lot us. If slowing down usually leads to better accuracy for you, breathe easy. This site breeds paranoia, which is good for improvement when studying, but terribad for the 3 weeks of waiting.

1TLStudent

Postby 1TLStudent » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Everyone's reactions to a test they just took are different, and people judge their own performances in different ways and with varying degrees of accuracy. Nothing anyone tells you will be of any use whatsoever.

Let me be the judge of that. And Im hoping to put myself at ease their replies will be of use to me (unlike yours). I'm gauging the general sentiment of people in the score range Im hoping to be in so I think their anecdotal evidence along with my first hand experience and analytical reasoning will suffice. Its not a science experiment where i need conclusive results to validate some hypothesis. Thanks for your (useless) reply though.

1TLStudent

Postby 1TLStudent » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm

sabanist wrote:
1TLStudent wrote:When you got the 170+ score, what were your general feelings towards your preformance when leaving the test and the next day? Also, and more importantly, during the sections did you have time to go over your answers for 5-10 seconds after working out the answer choice you picked and go "yeah thats right" or was it more like you worked through and picked what you thought but werent able to do any extra check at the end of each question to feel 100% confident before moving on? Trying to gauge if my feelings toward my performance (felt bad immediately after, good a few hours later and just overly concerned/skeptical now) and the fact that I had no time to double check my answers is strong enough evidence to merit considering cancelling since I already scored a 166 and do not want a lower score. Thanks for your insight.

I made a 170 in June. When I left the test, I felt like I could have made anywhere from a 160-180, and a lot of people - other 170+ers included - felt the same way. Part of my problem was choking on a logic game (game 1, I ended up -3 on the game and the section), and the other part was not knowing LR as well as I would have liked and thus having a lot of unpredictable fluctuation on my PTs, giving me no real gauge to predict how I did. I felt better after sleeping on it even despite the uncertainty and didn't cancel.
I worked through the whole section and went back to check after I finished, then and yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to on a few (the scored ones of course, had PLENTY of time on the experimental!), when I usually have 10 minutes each on PTs. Don't worry too much about it - I think that's just what test day does to a lot us. If slowing down usually leads to better accuracy for you, breathe easy. This site breeds paranoia, which is good for improvement when studying, but terribad for the 3 weeks of waiting.

thanks and well put in bold haha. yeah I am definitely not cancelling as I dont want to study for it anymore and def am going this cycle. I was just wondering if its normal to not feel like you knocked it out of the park and still walk away with a great score.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 pm

When I left, I was fairly certain that I'd missed three on games, so I kind of knew the 180 wasn't coming my way. I also felt like I had done really well on the other three sections, so I figured anywhere from a 170 to a 179, depending on the curve. Ended up with a 178.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 pm

1TLStudent wrote:thanks and well put in bold haha. yeah I am definitely not cancelling as I dont want to study for it anymore and def am going this cycle. I was just wondering if its normal to not feel like you knocked it out of the park and still walk away with a great score.

In my experience, it's definitely normal. Short of an impressive choke job, if you improved your study habits and PT scores significantly between last time and now, you should be okay. I suggest taking up a time-consuming hobby between now and Halloween. :)

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 pm

sabanist wrote:
1TLStudent wrote:thanks and well put in bold haha. yeah I am definitely not cancelling as I dont want to study for it anymore and def am going this cycle. I was just wondering if its normal to not feel like you knocked it out of the park and still walk away with a great score.

In my experience, it's definitely normal. Short of an impressive choke job, if you improved your study habits and PT scores significantly between last time and now, you should be okay. I suggest taking up a time-consuming hobby between now and Halloween. :)

You really couldn't predict your score more precisely than 160-180? I flew through the test like a robot. It was so mechanical but it felt good. Not having the satisfaction (or subsequent anger of a bad score) of grading your LSAT right after you take it sucks big time.

In all my prep, I probably got 165 like 20+ times on timed PTs, and peaked on Friday afternoon with my very last PT.

I wish I had a better idea of where I stood, but unfortunately I know that nothing anyone says can make me know any better than I already do. :roll:

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:You really couldn't predict your score more precisely than 160-180? I flew through the test like a robot. It was so mechanical but it felt good. Not having the satisfaction (or subsequent anger of a bad score) of grading your LSAT right after you take it sucks big time.

In all my prep, I probably got 165 like 20+ times on timed PTs, and peaked on Friday afternoon with my very last PT.

I wish I had a better idea of where I stood, but unfortunately I know that nothing anyone says can make me know any better than I already do. :roll:

I probably could have narrowed it down to 165-175, but like I said, I was really bad at gauging my LR success and thought I nailed RC better than I did and ruined LG worse. It was within my normal performance on PTs at the time, but I couldn't have gotten more specific until release day.

I missed the immediate grading too. I let myself get spoiled with it while I was studying, even when I tried not to.

allthatyouvegot

Postby allthatyouvegot » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 pm

I got 170 on June 2012. I was... not expecting it. I had gotten a lower score exactly once - 167 on my first diagnostic when I missed most of the games - and I hadn't scored below a 178 in a month.

I honestly don't remember how I felt during the test - it was a while ago and I was actually able to block it out and get on with my summer. I remember that I felt a touch iffy, didn't think I got a 180, but I was pretty sure I hadn't done worse than a 175 and thus didn't cancel. I was able to let it go until I got the e-mail (I was opening another e-mail on my phone and it popped up automatically. I had no idea scores could come out early, so I was completely blindsided and ended up walking into a tree and then bursting into tears. On a very crowded street. It was really really awkward).

I have no idea how I feel about this one because I felt fine last time. Since coming here I've felt naught but progressively worse. I'm can't wait another cycle and I'll always wonder "what if," if I cancel, so I guess I'm keeping it. I'm just absolutely terrified I did worse.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm

allthatyouvegot wrote:I got 170 on June 2012. I was... not expecting it. I had gotten a lower score exactly once - 167 on my first diagnostic when I missed most of the games - and I hadn't scored below a 178 in a month.

I honestly don't remember how I felt during the test - it was a while ago and I was actually able to block it out and get on with my summer. I remember that I felt a touch iffy, didn't think I got a 180, but I was pretty sure I hadn't done worse than a 175 and thus didn't cancel. I was able to let it go until I got the e-mail (I was opening another e-mail on my phone and it popped up automatically. I had no idea scores could come out early, so I was completely blindsided and ended up walking into a tree and then bursting into tears. On a very crowded street. It was really really awkward).

I have no idea how I feel about this one because I felt fine last time. Since coming here I've felt naught but progressively worse. I'm can't wait another cycle and I'll always wonder "what if," if I cancel, so I guess I'm keeping it. I'm just absolutely terrified I did worse.

Bro, that sucks. I think there has been a lot of hype about the overall difficulty of the test. Hopefully, the general non-TLS population did superduper terrible and we end up with a big old curve, and you get that 175+.

I myself am just hoping for 165+. As I said, it felt pretty mechanical on test day, and I have time to check an answer or two in both LRs which rarely happens for me. My LR performance used to be shit (think worse than -15) and this past week I was like -2 or -3 per LR. Typical, average performance would definitely get me the score range I want on this exam, and I think it will probably get you the score you want and deserve as well.

Good luck, comrade!

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm

I was pissed because I thought I missed a problem that I realized was wrong a second before time ran out. Turns out I actually had it right and was pissed during the writing section and a the remainder of the month for nothing - got a 175.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

My last section, RC, was the worst--felt like I had to guess on a few. I felt reasonably good about LR but there were a few 50-50 questions and on at least one of the LR sections I didn't have time to go back and check any answers. Especially because of the last section I left the testing center with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Since my highest PT was a 177 I was hoping for a 172-174.

Got a 178.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”