october takers in ASIA - thoughts?

togepi

Re: october takers in ASIA - thoughts?

Postby togepi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 am

sokomofo wrote:i'm not sitting for december, yesterday was my third time lol

but we should still get together for a drink or something. i dont know anyone personally whos applying to law school this year.. i need people to commiserate with :lol:

are you applying this year togepi?

Ah. I'm pretty sure I will be. Made a 156 in June after probably getting like 8/23 on the games section. So, I'm hoping for something over 160 at least.

Yeah definitely. You live in Gangnam right? I live in Jeongja, so I can take the shin bundang line and be at Gangnam station in like 20 minutes. If things go according to plan, I'll be applying this cycle. If things don't work out, I'm going to GRE it up and go to grad school for engineering and not look back.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 am

sokomofo wrote:oh i see. i hope law school works out for you!

we should get the people who are applying this year in south korea together and have a party or something one of these days lol

thanks. what's the highest of the two scores you've gotten already if you don't mind me asking?

Definitely man, I'll PM you my number later on. Hopefully you can introduce me to some decent places around Gangnam. I've only been there a few times.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 am

agni

Postby agni » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 am

Applying this year as well; live abt 30 min away from gangnam..

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 am

agni wrote:Applying this year as well; live abt 30 min away from gangnam..

Which room were you in at Yonsei?

We should definitely have a meet up and get smashed together. Maybe get some good grub too.

defdef

Postby defdef » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 am

how many people per room did korea have?

tokyo only had about 30-35 test takers this time

agni

Postby agni » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 am

togepi wrote:Which room were you in at Yonsei?

We should definitely have a meet up and get smashed together. Maybe get some good grub too.

Was in room #317. There were 30 students per room (8 rooms? 7?) but in our room, only about 18 showed up.

Am meeting with my LSAT study group (me and two other Korean-Koreans) @ Sadang this Thursday, so Thursday would be best for me since then I could just wander over afterwards to join for beer at B2B@Gangnam (cheap beer but with pretty waitresses)

defdef

Postby defdef » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am

damn that is a huge amount. i wonder why there are so many compared to japan

agni

Postby agni » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 am

defdef wrote:damn that is a huge amount. i wonder why there are so many compared to japan

There are many reasons. One, there are far more undergrads who have studied in the States compared to Japan. Based on my experience in the States, Korean students outnumber Japanese students like 3-1 if not more. A lot of them return for mandatory military service, during which they can usually find some time (towards the end, anyway) to prepare for grad school back in the states. So not only are there more students who have experienced education states-side, but there are also far more that return (and are interested in going back to the states)

Two, far more 'recent' immigrants. Japanese Americans are usually 3rd or even 4th generation, while the majority of Korean-Americans are still 2nd generation, meaning they still have relatives in Korea and have reason to visit Korea.

The two reasons above will also help explain the greater proportion of Asian test takers in Seoul compared to some other locations.

Three, concentration. While both countries have just one center, about a quarter of Korea's population live in Seoul, compared to like 1/10th or so of Japanese population living in Tokyo or something (my info is way outdated). That probably leads to more interested LSAT takers not being able to be in Tokyo (Japan is also twice as large compared to South Korea) than people not being to able to make it to Seoul (only 4 hours away from most parts).

Four, more emphasis on English education and more interest in American degrees. My alma mater's chancellor visited Korea last year and he said 400 Korean undergraduates (not Korean American, Korean) graduate every year. One of my fellow alumni runs an academy specializing in helping local high school students prepare for the SATs and he says he sends about 20 students to the states every year as well.

Didn't mean to write an essay, but will probably have lots of time until the scores come out, so...

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 am

agni wrote:
togepi wrote:Which room were you in at Yonsei?

Was in room #317. There were 30 students per room (8 rooms? 7?) but in our room, only about 18 showed up.

Am meeting with my LSAT study group (me and two other Korean-Koreans) @ Sadang this Thursday, so Thursday would be best for me since then I could just wander over afterwards to join for beer at B2B@Gangnam (cheap beer but with pretty waitresses)

It'd have to be a weekend thing for me. I work Monday through Friday 2pm - 10pm =/

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 am

defdef

Postby defdef » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am

From agni's passage, you can best answer the question:

A.) What country sends more students than Korea to...

lol forget it. thanks for the post Agni, it's quite true that Japan has been sending many fewer students abroad than either Korea or China in recent years. every April (beginning of the Japanese fiscal year) it's a hot topic in a lot of newspapers regarding how poorly prepared new workers are for global business due to a lack of interest in studying/living abroad. the only point that is a bit off is that about a quarter of the population of japan (35 million) do actually live in the Tokyo-Yokohama metropolitan area, but otherwise your points all seem to strike home.

i guess the size of the disparity is just shocking to me. there were really only between 5-10 japanese-japanese test takers last sunday and 35 total, compared with your figures of 150+ total.

agni

Postby agni » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm

sokomofo wrote:same here... many of my students are preparing their ED applications to colleges right now and im basically working all day :(

you had a study group agni? how did you find people who were studying for the lsat?? i actually had considered putting up some flyers around gangnam lol

I spent two months at Princeton Review. Of the six or seven that attended, four of us decided it would be pointless to take it for the 3rd month, and decided to study together.. though only two of us ended up studying together towards the end with a third only joining occasionally. We didn't do much together other than making sure we took PTs the way the actual tests would be taken, on 9 am every Saturday and most Sundays. Used to take extra time reviewing some sections that we individually could not figure out, but later did away with that after finding out that there were tons of resources on the net explaining all the questions.

defdef wrote:From agni's passage, you can best answer the question:

A.) What country sends more students than Korea to...

lol forget it. thanks for the post Agni, it's quite true that Japan has been sending many fewer students abroad than either Korea or China in recent years. every April (beginning of the Japanese fiscal year) it's a hot topic in a lot of newspapers regarding how poorly prepared new workers are for global business due to a lack of interest in studying/living abroad. the only point that is a bit off is that about a quarter of the population of japan (35 million) do actually live in the Tokyo-Yokohama metropolitan area, but otherwise your points all seem to strike home.

i guess the size of the disparity is just shocking to me. there were really only between 5-10 japanese-japanese test takers last sunday and 35 total, compared with your figures of 150+ total.

Didn't know Tokyo's population was up to 35 million now, last I heard (which, i admit, was in the early 90s) it was around 12 million and Japan had a population about 120 million. Oh well, how things change.

Japan, unlike Korea, has a strong... or at least a large, self sustainable domestic market so it is not as dependent on global business. At least that's what Korean firms lament about, as they can not focus on the domestic market and still be competitive internationally.

Also, Korea just signed an FTA with the states, and now foreign legal firms may set up shop in Korea... which probably means more job opportunities 'back home' for bilingual, Korean law school grads.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Wow, so many test takers in Korea. If my test center wasn't so god damn relaxing I'd consider flying out to Korea in dec for the retake. Would be a neat little vacation (with a horrible LSAT to start it off).

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Any word on when the scores will be released? I know the official deadline is Oct. 31 but I heard that sometimes scores are released 4 - 5 days earlier?

geary86

Postby geary86 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Any word on when the scores will be released? I know the official deadline is Oct. 31 but I heard that sometimes scores are released 4 - 5 days earlier?

According to this blog(http://lsatblog.blogspot.kr/2012/10/oct ... dates.html), October scores have historically been released 2-3 days earlier than scheduled. Who knows? For the June 2012 LSAT in Asia, they released the scores on July 10th, which was 8 days ahead of schedule!

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Posting for a friend who found the critical reading really difficult. He took it in Seoul-- anyone feel the same way?

geary86

Postby geary86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:13 am

jediknight2424 wrote:Posting for a friend who found the critical reading really difficult. He took it in Seoul-- anyone feel the same way?

Same here..
I found the RC really difficult
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
LR and Game sections were standard though...

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 am

geary86 wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:Posting for a friend who found the critical reading really difficult. He took it in Seoul-- anyone feel the same way?

Same here..
I found the RC really difficult
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
LR and Game sections were standard though...

Meh, I always zone out on the boring passages (mainly the art, jazz type passages). I thought the first one was really interesting but overall not too bad. LR felt overeasy (which has me worrried) and I struggled on the last two games of the LG (mainly just the third one).

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 am

Hey people taking the exam in Asia and Aus: is your test disclosed?

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 am

sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote:Hey people taking the exam in Asia and Aus: is your test disclosed?

no, we only get our scores and percentiles. no other information is disclosed

Same as me. Taking a sabbath obv. wed

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:46 am

Which sucks because I'll never know if I aced the LR sections like I thought I did.... considering that I could have gone -3 or -8 on the LG... fml.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”