october takers in ASIA - thoughts?

togepi

Re: october takers in ASIA - thoughts?

Postby togepi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Which sucks because I'll never know if I aced the LR sections like I thought I did.... considering that I could have gone -3 or -8 on the LG games... fml.

We don't even find out the curve right?

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:53 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 am

sokomofo wrote:
togepi wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Which sucks because I'll never know if I aced the LR sections like I thought I did.... considering that I could have gone -3 or -8 on the LG games... fml.

nope :(

so we're gonna be either pleasantly surprised or just miserable while never knowing where we fucked up. seeing where we went wrong could help us cope with/accept a low score, so that kinda sucks.

that's really lame. hopefully you can still get -20 and end up with a 165

Zmoney

Postby Zmoney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:02 am

so just to be clear, the LR with 26 questions (section 1) was experimental? any particular reason for this or is it someone's intuition?

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 am

Zmoney wrote:so just to be clear, the LR with 26 questions (section 1) was experimental? any particular reason for this or is it someone's intuition?

I thought it was either the second or third for me (had 3 LR sections) since it's usually out of 101 questions. Who said it was the 26 one?

geary86

Postby geary86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 am

togepi wrote:
Zmoney wrote:so just to be clear, the LR with 26 questions (section 1) was experimental? any particular reason for this or is it someone's intuition?

I thought it was either the second or third for me (had 3 LR sections) since it's usually out of 101 questions. Who said it was the 26 one?

I'm also interested in this... Of the 3 LR sections, which one was experimental???

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am

togepi wrote:

As far as I understand (and I called LSAC last year but will call again) all those non-sat exams (sabbath, intl etc) are all getting the exact same curve as the Saturday administrated test and its conversion rate is the same.

Does anyone hold a different explanation from LSAC? When I called they said that the conversion from raw to actual score is definitely not different for the specially administrated tests.

geary86

Postby geary86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am

Lear22 wrote:
togepi wrote:

As far as I understand (and I called LSAC last year but will call again) all those non-sat exams (sabbath, intl etc) are all getting the exact same curve as the Saturday administrated test and its conversion rate is the same.

Does anyone hold a different explanation from LSAC? When I called they said that the conversion from raw to actual score is definitely not different for the specially administrated tests.

But Asian versions have different questions... How can they use the same conversion chart?

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am

geary86 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
togepi wrote:

But Asian versions have different questions... How can they use the same conversion chart?

Because as far as I understand the difficulty level is the same across the board (meaning LG may be a little easier but RC is a bit harder etc.) it also makes sense. I think everything is scored and computed together and I hardly think they take all the intl. test takers, all the sabbath observer test takers and others who use a non reg US statuday administration and created a special 'curve' or conversion chart. More likely that if they are using an old undisclosed test they will use that conversion chart (although I am unsure about that) or they simply put everyone together under the same conversion umbrella.

geary86

Postby geary86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 am

Lear22 wrote:
geary86 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
togepi wrote:

Because as far as I understand the difficulty level is the same across the board (meaning LG may be a little easier but RC is a bit harder etc.) it also makes sense. I think everything is scored and computed together and I hardly think they take all the intl. test takers, all the sabbath observer test takers and others who use a non reg US statuday administration and created a special 'curve' or conversion chart. More likely that if they are using an old undisclosed test they will use that conversion chart (although I am unsure about that) or they simply put everyone together under the same conversion umbrella.

Hmm.. Interesting... If they use the same curve, then I guess we could expect something like -11~-13 for a 170... and -20 for a 165...
Last edited by geary86 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:27 am

On the phone with LSAC now. They claim that ALL oct test receive the same 'conversion chart' in order to make the test date equal, as I suspected.
The most interesting piece of info I got though was that at first the lady told me that the non-sat LSAT will be the SAME test form administrated Saturday, and when I tried to probe her for more specifics she put me on hold for a good 3 min and then said that they are not going to disclose that... This was the first time I heard that info.. It doesn't make much sense (as so much information can leak between Saturday and tomorrow, but interesting nontheless).

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:13 pm

sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote:On the phone with LSAC now. They claim that ALL oct test receive the same 'conversion chart' in order to make the test date equal, as I suspected.
The most interesting piece of info I got though was that at first the lady told me that the non-sat LSAT will be the SAME test form administrated Saturday, and when I tried to probe her for more specifics she put me on hold for a good 3 min and then said that they are not going to disclose that... This was the first time I heard that info.. It doesn't make much sense (as so much information can leak between Saturday and tomorrow, but interesting nontheless).

yeah that makes sense. LSAC goes to great lengths to make sure that each LSAT is as equalized as possible, so that any potential harder/easier-than-usual sections, and any unusually good/bad test taker populations can be accounted for. it would only be fair that the curve is applied uniformly among international takers.

by non-sat LSAT do you mean the sabbath observers? cuz ours was non-sat too (we took it on sunday) and it was different from the one taken on saturday in the US. ours was the same as the one administered in june 2010 in asia.

yes, I do mean the Sabbath observers' exam, which is tomorrow morning. I was under the same impression, that we will get an old undisclosed exam tomorrw, but from the information (or maybe misinformation) that I got from LSAC today, there's some sort of a chance that it will be the Oct 2012 exam. To me this makes no sense, since so much information can leak between Sarurday and tomorrow that I would be in shock if indeed it's going to be the exact same exam.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm

sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote:On the phone with LSAC now. They claim that ALL oct test receive the same 'conversion chart' in order to make the test date equal, as I suspected.

yeah that makes sense. LSAC goes to great lengths to make sure that each LSAT is as equalized as possible, so that any potential harder/easier-than-usual sections, and any unusually good/bad test taker populations can be accounted for. it would only be fair that the curve is applied uniformly among international takers.

by non-sat LSAT do you mean the sabbath observers? cuz ours was non-sat too (we took it on sunday) and it was different from the one taken on saturday in the US. ours was the same as the one administered in june 2010 in asia.

yes, I do mean the Sabbath observers' exam, which is tomorrow morning. I was under the same impression, that we will get an old undisclosed exam tomorrw, but from the information (or maybe misinformation) that I got from LSAC today, there's some sort of a chance that it will be the Oct 2012 exam. To me this makes no sense, since so much information can leak between Sarurday and tomorrow that I would be in shock if indeed it's going to be the exact same exam.

hm.. i agree. i find that hard to believe. if that's true it would be quite unfair... well i guess tomorrow's takers should look out for that notorious zones game lol. i wonder if the sabbath exams were same as the US ones in the past as well

yup I agree. I am taking the test tomorrow and as said I will be in real shock if I find the same game. it's grounds for a dismissal of the entire test date administration IMHO

Zmoney

Postby Zmoney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm

geary86 wrote:
togepi wrote:

I'm also interested in this... Of the 3 LR sections, which one was experimental???

If the curve is the same, then wouldn't that mean that the number of questions should be the same too? I was looking through this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195400 and saw a bunch of people talking about how the 26 LR question was the experimental.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Zmoney wrote:
geary86 wrote:
togepi wrote:

If the curve is the same, then wouldn't that mean that the number of questions should be the same too? I was looking through this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195400 and saw a bunch of people talking about how the 26 LR question was the experimental.

I am not sure. What I know for sure is what LSAC told me this morning, which makes perfect sense. There is not way in the world the LSAC will discriminate against people who are not taking the saturday US administrated exam by giving them a much harder test, and the other way around. The whole point is to make the testing date (i.e Oct/Dec etc) equal, and it doesnt matter where or when you took the exam. And that is just in line with what LSAC told me. It would be unfair for either sides. The sections of those specific exams may varay in difficulty, but the overall difficulty of the exam is the same.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 pm

soulpower

Postby soulpower » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Can we please figure out which section was logical reasoning experimental??

I had LR-CR-LR-LR-LG

the first LR section had 26 questions and had the wet stones question for sure.(I remember this because I skept this question and went back at the end.)

the second LR had 25 questions and I had more time than usual so I was able to check all of my answers. So I felt really confident about this section.

the third LR also had 25 questions but it was more difficult. I ran out of time for this one and guessed on a few questions. I am not 100% sure but I think this section for me had the running shoes question but I am not sure as I may be mixing things in my head....

Someone please let me know which one was the experimental section.

From what's been told so far, some people say the EX was second LR and others the third. And some are now suggesting that it was the first..... I am so confused.

Also. someone suggested that the wet stones question was their 3rd (so 4th section in the test) LR. But I remember that it was in the first LR section for me. So is it possible that we had our LRs in a different order? Or were there two stone questions? What I remember was a stone question with two speakers.

sokomofo

Postby sokomofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 am

Lear22,

The world isn't a fair one. I hope you've done your homework and have read throughout the entirety of this thread and of the other domestic Oct. thread. The answers to individual questions won't be found; but it might be helpful to know which games are deemed to be "difficult" ahead of time. I'm not going to actively list out what you should know but it's something you can glean from what's already available. Good luck on your test!

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 am

I'm pretty sure the wet stones was my first/second one. Maybe I was a little too overconfident, but I felt that all three LR sections were pretty easy. One of them didn't seem to have a good distribution of question types, I think that was the second one for me so I hope that was the experimental.

agni

Postby agni » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:03 am

Stones were actually easy, I thought. At least that's how I proceeded it as it was in the very beginning.

And as I only had two LR, that was the real thing. I had two games, and I would have been ecstatic if my first game was the actual one, the one with the rule switch question at the very end.

But such is life... and LSAT.

To think that I was really stoked coming into the exam with 178 on pt 66... argh.

geary86

Postby geary86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 am

agni wrote:Stones were actually easy, I thought. At least that's how I proceeded it as it was in the very beginning.

And as I only had two LR, that was the real thing. I had two games, and I would have been ecstatic if my first game was the actual one, the one with the rule switch question at the very end.

To think that I was really stoked coming into the exam with 178 on pt 66... argh.

Yeah...

I took PT 64 a night before the exam and scored 171 because RC on pt 64 was particularly easy...

That 171 gave me a false hope...
Last edited by geary86 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 am

agni wrote:Stones were actually easy, I thought. At least that's how I proceeded it as it was in the very beginning.

Any questions you remember from the other LR section? I'm trying to figure out which one was experimental and which one was not.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”