December 2012 Re-takers

VeeD101

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I don't know if you guys have seen this thread but it cheered me up at lunch today.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=194800

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

VeeD101 wrote:I don't know if you guys have seen this thread but it cheered me up at lunch today.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=194800

lol that reminds me of this thread http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... _is_there/

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:Yeah. Quite a few. Here are a couple particularly bad ones.

http://i.imgur.com/TDYBt.png

http://imgur.com/ZxPIu

But there are also a ton of people who voted for Romney for legitimate reasons and there are also a lot of people who voted for Obama for ridiculous reasons. So I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make here. I guess it's just that I find it hard to feel sympathetic for some of the people who are upset that Romney lost.

One massive reason I got off of Facebook.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Wormfather wrote:LG Drilling 48/51. Felt good.

Nice work Worm!

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Doing some LG. Gotten a bit slower. Need to step up the drilling to get back to top form.

Emailed one of my profs today for letter of rec. She's on leave until Jan. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*pushes panic button*

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm

mrizza wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:Also, I've missed you ladies and gentlemen while I have been away.

This thread was severly lacking in pickle references in your absence. Praise jebus our prodigal son hath returned

We missed you too packles! Time to destroy December!

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm

chadbrochill wrote:
mrizza wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:Also, I've missed you ladies and gentlemen while I have been away.

This thread was severly lacking in pickle references in your absence. Praise jebus our prodigal son hath returned

We missed you too packles! Time to destroy December!

Hell yeah. I've been a productive panda irl. God, I am looking forward to release night with you guys!
Gotta keep putting in the work.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Alright, just took 57 fresh today for 172, highest score yet!

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

Looks like some of the improvements I made on RC have helped. Looking good for this Saturday! PT 65 tomorrow as well. If anyone feels like reviewing, I'd be open.

Lenahan3

Postby Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:05 pm

steel_shot wrote:Alright, just took 57 fresh today for 172, highest score yet!

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

Looks like some of the improvements I made on RC have helped. Looking good for this Saturday! PT 65 tomorrow as well. If anyone feels like reviewing, I'd be open.

I'm assuming you're third section was LG, not LR?

Regardless, congrats on the score! Solid.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

I'm assuming you're third section was LG, not LR?

Regardless, congrats on the score! Solid.

Yes, it was, sorry about that. It went LG-LR-LR-RC-RCX. Thank you, appreciate it!

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:20 pm

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

Awesome job!!

I'd recommend redoing the dinosaurs game a couple of times if you had trouble with it. That PT was the first diagnostic I ever took and that game absolutely destroyed me. Then I redid it twice over the course of the next month, and by the second re-do I found that I was grasping all selection/matching games much more easily, since the dinosaur game was hard in comparison.

1TLStudent

Postby 1TLStudent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey can anyone that's done prep test 33 please help me with questions 25,26 and 27 on sec 2.

I had a couple questions:
Why is c wrong for 25?
Why is b wrong for 26? Especially since by accepting more forms of evidence it would seem that evid law is less rigid.
And why is b wrong for 27? Is it because to outmoded legal system is too broad and it is more outmoded doctrines and principles within a updated legal system?

Thanks in advance

Lenahan3

Postby Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Just finished PT 57.

Location: Barnes and Noble coffee shop extension, run by Starbucks
-fairly loud, but not overwhelming. Lots of activity.

Started, as I did Monday, a bit late. I'm going to have to dial my schedule a little more precisely in the upcoming weeks.

This is a retake, taken on August 29. Again, didn't really remember any answers since it was a little over two month ago, which I'm thankful for.

LR- Felt decent, though I almost ran out of time on the second of the two. I've slowed down a lot, so my timing still needs some work.

LG- Felt solid. Dominated dinosaurs and took my time checking over my work.

RC- Again, decent. Willa Cather was initially formidable, but proved doable after I hit the answers.

LG: -0
LR 1: -2
Lr 2: -1
RC: -1
Ex. LR from PT 41: (-2)
Score: 177/180

I'm not too bothered by missing a question in RC, though of course I'm going to review it. Going -3 in LR is very annoying though. Definitely going to review those questions tonight and find out where I went wrong. Also, I missed #5 on the first section, which is close to inexcusable.

Overall: I didn't feel as strong as I did on PT 56, but I think the last test just favored me slightly more so than did this one. I'm not stressing over the drop from Monday, but will be reviewing the PS LR book tonight to clean up some loose ends.
Last edited by Lenahan3 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm

1TLStudent wrote:Hey can anyone that's done prep test 33 please help me with questions 25,26 and 27 on sec 2.

I had a couple questions:
Why is c wrong for 25?
Why is b wrong for 26? Especially since by accepting more forms of evidence it would seem that evid law is less rigid.
And why is b wrong for 27? Is it because to outmoded legal system is too broad and it is more outmoded doctrines and principles within a updated legal system?

Thanks in advance

Isn't B the correct answer for 26? That's what my answer key says.

For 25 the best way to figure out that C is wrong is because A is clearly a better answer. He is not so much illustrating competing social interests as he is merely providing an example of a situation in which Bentham's principle might be questionable.

I almost picked C as well so maybe someone else can give a better explanation (i really only picked A because I found it to be the better of the two choices). But in my mind, "illustrate" usually is synonymous with either "demonstrate" or "explain." And the author is not demonstrating or explaining the conflict itself by asking a question with an example situation that could potentially fit into the conflict of competing social interests.

For 27, I would say it is wrong because of the word "summarize" and not because of the word "outmoded." The passage isn't primarily meant to summarize the pre-18th century evidence law. It really isn't meant primarily to summarize anything at all. It is instead primarily meant to analyze Bentham's reform and suggest its advantages and disadvantages.
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:Just finished PT 57.

Started, as I did Monday, a bit late. I'm going to have to dial my schedule a little more precisely in the upcoming weeks.

This is a retake, taken on August 29. Again, didn't really remember any answers since it was a little over two month ago, which I'm thankful for.

LR- Felt decent, though I almost ran out of time on the second of the two. I've slowed down a lot, so my timing still needs some work.

RC- Again, decent. Willa Cather was initially formidable, but proved doable after I hit the answers.

I'm not too bothered by missing a question in RC, though of course I'm going to review it. Going -3 in LR is very annoying though. Definitely going to review those questions tonight and find out where I went wrong. Also, I missed #5 on the first section, which is close to inexcusable.

Overall: I didn't feel as strong as I did on PT 56, but I think the last test just favored me slightly more so than did this one. I'm not stressing over the drop from Monday, but will be reviewing the PS LR book tonight to clean up some loose ends.

Another 179?

There are a lot of very high end scores coming in. This seems like a Paradox Question . . .

Lenahan3

Postby Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:

Another 179?

There are a lot of very high end scores coming in. This seems like a Paradox Question . . .

Sorry. 177. I forgot to put that. -10 scale.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:

Awesome!

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

Another 179?

Were you scoring this high before? Or has something new happened that broke a barrier?

Lenahan3

Postby Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:19 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

Another 179?

Were you scoring this high before? Or has something new happened that broke a barrier?

I changed some stuff up. I was averaging in the mid 170's pre-October.
Things I changed:

LR: I slowed down a TON. I went from finishing LR in less than 20 minutes to finishing it in 30 minutes with 5 left to check answers. I've also begun consciously getting rid of answers for solid, grounded reasons instead of reasons mixed with heavy doses of intuition, which was the case beforehand. Being naturally good at reasoning made me cocky, or so I believe, and this is meant to cure that affliction. I've also begun reading the question first instead of the stimulus, though I'm not quite sure what effect that has had because of the other changes.

LG: I haven't really changed very much here. I went -1 in October with the method I use, so it still needs improvements, but not an overhaul.

RC: I have also slowed down here, just not as drastically. I've quit underlining, period. I also am taking time to reflect at the end of each paragraph, as well as jotting down a short summary/main point of each. Pre-test, I would take notes as I read, which ended up giving my a disjointed sense of the passage, and since you want to read for structure, this hurt me. Also, I don't bother with the details anymore, at least the fine ones. If there are questions concerning them, I rely on my notes to lead me to the proper area where I can focus in on the relevant sentences.

The fast-paced method I used was simply too unpredictable. I would either completely dominate a test or be decimated. My scores ranged anywhere from a 166 to a 178, which is just stupid. Slowing down like this, or so I believe (I only have two tests to back this up), will allow me a better chance at consolidating in the 175-180 range, which is the goal.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Took test 52 today. I took Iast on sept 10, so it's been almost two months (but an entirely new clean booklet).

LRs: -0
CR: -1
=180

Obviously I know it's inflated because i've taken the test before, and i did recognize some questions, but it's still a nice confidence boost!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 pm

mcs268 wrote:Took test 52 today. I took Iast on sept 10, so it's been almost two months (but an entirely new clean booklet).

LRs: -0
CR: -1
=180

Obviously I know it's inflated because i've taken the test before, and i did recognize some questions, but it's still a nice confidence boost!

Great job! Is the general consensus that taking a PT over again with a couple months in between (on a clean booklet) is okay? I'm running out of PTs too. I'm sure it's not the best scenario, but better than nothing?

londonsportsguy

Postby londonsportsguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:23 pm

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

Haha I remember that! Was it the one with the comets?

londonsportsguy

Postby londonsportsguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I want to admit something terribly embarrassing...I just found out today that "Infer" does not mean "Imply". I hadn't noticed that I was getting most inference questions wrong until now (thanks to those of you who suggested looking at which types I was getting wrong). On the Oct 2012 test I had 4 inference questions wrong. I bet I'd get them all now.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:

LR1 -3
LR2 -1
LR -2 (fuck dinosaurs)
RC -3

Awesome job!!

I'd recommend redoing the dinosaurs game a couple of times if you had trouble with it. That PT was the first diagnostic I ever took and that game absolutely destroyed me. Then I redid it twice over the course of the next month, and by the second re-do I found that I was grasping all selection/matching games much more easily, since the dinosaur game was hard in comparison.

Thanks!

That must have been a rough diagnostic to take, with both that comparative passage and dinosaurs! I probably would have contemplated quitting if it were mine :P

I redid the game while I was reviewing, and it made a lot more sense when I wasn't so panicked. I think just the reputation of it stressed me out a bit, because it isn't too bad on the second go.

Haha I remember that! Was it the one with the comets?

I mistakenly wrote LR instead of LG for that section, it was the toy dinosaur question. I do remember the question you are referring to and that one was pretty stupid as well!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”