December 2012 Re-takers

Lenahan3

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Lenahan3 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm taking PT's on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and/or Saturday.
I have school on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

I quit my job to prepare for the test this go round, but I realize that's a luxury.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 pm

M.M. wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
M.M. wrote:Was posting in the Dec study group thread, but I figured here would be better... so, in. I've really hated the test lately ... but today I forced myself to go and study and got my first ever -1 on LG, and my first ever -0 on LR... nothing like a little motivation via success :)

Does anyone know if older LR sections are easier? I did PT 35s first LR section

Yay, congrats!! I haven't found older LR easier, just kind of different. They don't have the two part questions anymore.

Thanks for the reply. To everyone else:

When I went -0 on LR for the first time, it was the first time I tried doing the first 15 LR in 15 minutes. Way back when I was doing my Princeton Review course, I noticed a big jump in LR when I tried doing 10 in 10. How much do you think I should attribute going -0 for the first time to this newly adopted strategy? I usually go ~-3. Two other variables were that yesterday I was insanely tired and couldn't focus, and it was an older section (PT 35) ... I really thought I'd do terribly on that LR section. I've also noticed before I do better on LR when I'm not focusing as much as odd as that sounds, I've always been prettty good at LR naturally, and it seems my intuitions are usually right... so how much do you think these various factors played a role?

Obviously, I'm going to keep using the 15 in 15 strategy and see if it keeps getting me a better score, but I'm perrrrtty excited for the prospect of it allowing me big gains in LR.

?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

99.9luft wrote:Feedback greatly appreciated, guys - thought to share my tentative study plan:

1. Drill 90s RC sections (to practice summarizing in 3-5 words after each paragraph)
2. Drill those 15 games from Aug/Sep on which i didn't get -0.
3(a). M-F after work, do 3 back-to-back sections (both LRs and RC) mainly from PT50-66 (doing the LG is secondary, since i got -0 on most of them)
3(b). Sat-Sun, PT at exactly 9am, having woken up at 6 and eaten the goddamn eggs as on test day :)
4. Re-do PT 67 over Thanksgiving

LR: Basically trying to emphasize drilling over PTs. In Oct i missed a derpy array of question types. the bolded are especially troublesome (some of the others I simply didn't get to because of time): Most Strongly Supported, Principle Strengthen, Disagree, Parallel, Weaken, Flaw, Explain, Parallel Flaw, Necessary Ass.

LG: will try to be more flexible and not to be a derpy hypo whore

RC: see #1

Thoughts?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:14 pm

M.M. wrote:
M.M. wrote:Thanks for the reply. To everyone else:

When I went -0 on LR for the first time, it was the first time I tried doing the first 15 LR in 15 minutes. Way back when I was doing my Princeton Review course, I noticed a big jump in LR when I tried doing 10 in 10. How much do you think I should attribute going -0 for the first time to this newly adopted strategy? I usually go ~-3. Two other variables were that yesterday I was insanely tired and couldn't focus, and it was an older section (PT 35) ... I really thought I'd do terribly on that LR section. I've also noticed before I do better on LR when I'm not focusing as much as odd as that sounds, I've always been prettty good at LR naturally, and it seems my intuitions are usually right... so how much do you think these various factors played a role?

Obviously, I'm going to keep using the 15 in 15 strategy and see if it keeps getting me a better score, but I'm perrrrtty excited for the prospect of it allowing me big gains in LR.

?

It sounds like you do well when you're just going by intuition, based on you doing better when you're not focusing. However, this is not the way to get consistent -0s. If you're just going by feel you are likely going to miss some here and there from small misunderstandings. You need to start analyzing all of your right answers and understand why your intuition is choosing each of them. Take whatever problem solving skills you're using out from your subconscious and put them in your conscious, and you'll be much more consistent.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

99.9luft wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Feedback greatly appreciated, guys - thought to share my tentative study plan:

1. Drill 90s RC sections (to practice summarizing in 3-5 words after each paragraph)
3(a). M-F after work, do 3 back-to-back sections (both LRs and RC) mainly from PT50-66 (doing the LG is secondary, since i got -0 on most of them)
3(b). Sat-Sun, PT at exactly 9am, having woken up at 6 and eaten the goddamn eggs as on test day :)

LR: Basically trying to emphasize drilling over PTs. In Oct i missed a derpy array of question types. the bolded are especially troublesome (some of the others I simply didn't get to because of time): Most Strongly Supported, Principle Strengthen, Disagree, Parallel, Weaken, Flaw, Explain, Parallel Flaw, Necessary Ass.

Thoughts?

I'm doing basically the same thing. Focusing more on drilling RC from the cambridge bundles, and doing fewer full PTs (mostly due to the fact that I only have 8 fresh ones left...). I'll probably just do a few LR/LG drills a week outside of maybe 1 or 2 full PTs just so I don't get rusty.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Did 8 timed RC sections today, went -0 on every one. I feel like a bulletproof tiger right now.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 pm

bitsy wrote:the fee waivers have been flooding my inbox today.

Seriously... I've gotten Florida A&M, William & Mary, University of Pittsburgh, Florida International University, Catholic University of America, Duke, Notre Dame, Liberty, and University of Arizona - all in one day.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 pm

enidwexler wrote:

Seriously... I've gotten Florida A&M, William & Mary, University of Pittsburgh, Florida International University, Catholic University of America, Duke, Notre Dame, Liberty, and University of Arizona - all in one day.

Cool!!!!!!

Just kidding, that's awesome.

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm

mrizza wrote:Did 8 timed RC sections today, went -0 on every one. I feel like a bulletproof tiger right now.

Sia - Bulletproof.mp3

8 Timed Sections? 35 mins each? In a row? Over the course of the day?

What have you done since Friday in reviewing RC?

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm

enidwexler wrote:

I got Liberty only.

Jeez, how bad are my stats?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm

mrizza wrote:Did 8 timed RC sections today, went -0 on every one. I feel like a bulletproof tiger right now.

What strategy/approach are you using?

RC is my biggest weakness (-6 in oct) but I've heard such conflicting things in regards to annotating, using guides, and overall strategy. I consider myself a very solid reader but am at a loss at how to improve this section.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:46 pm

mrizza wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm doing basically the same thing. Focusing more on drilling RC from the cambridge bundles, and doing fewer full PTs (mostly due to the fact that I only have 8 fresh ones left...). I'll probably just do a few LR/LG drills a week outside of maybe 1 or 2 full PTs just so I don't get rusty.

I'm doing this too. I have 6-7 fresh PTs so I'll probably average 2 a week. I'm not as worried about stamina this time through. Focusing on drilling weak spots (RC and a few types of LR questions) and maintaining other LR and LG. Sounds like a good plan boys :)

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Wow! Thats incredible, good job man

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

mrizza wrote:
seksy, you're almost full power... you'll defeat Rita in no time Tommy

I'm starting to feel a lot better about RC from my more meaningful drilling i've been doing too. Slowing down and writing out actual notes instead of just mindlessly underlining stuff really seems to be making a huge difference. I'm also writing down the actual line that has the justification for my answer next to it, unless its a more general question of course.

But Lord Zed is going to get in the way :(

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:

Sia - Bulletproof.mp3

Nooo, 8 passages I guess, sorry. 8.5 mins each.

ETA: I did a full PT on Saturday, then some light review/hangover nursing Sunday.
megagnarley wrote:

RC is my biggest weakness (-6 in oct) but I've heard such conflicting things in regards to annotating, using guides, and overall strategy. I consider myself a very solid reader but am at a loss at how to improve this section.

It has always been my biggest weakness too, and I didn't put the time in to work on it before the Oct test because I took for granted that its the hardest place to improve so I figured I should just accept it.

What I'm doing now, thanks to Worm's advice, and I think a lot of us retakers are starting to do it... is writing out actual notes in the margins. I'm writing little 1 to 3 word explanations for every couple sentences. I'm probably spending at least 3.5 minutes reading/outlining before I get to the questions, but by the time I get to the questions they're just a joke. I think writing out the notes is especially helpful because it forces you to condense exactly what its saying, improving your understanding of it. Also, just spending the extra time with it makes you much more familiar with the structure of the passage, so the general questions about structure become complete gimmes.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

megagnarley wrote:

The best tips I can think of for improving RC are as follows:

1. Slow down. It seems counterintuitive, especially if you are not a fast reader, but slowing down allows you to make sure you internalize what you are reading, and in turn it allows you to answer the questions more quickly and accurately, making up for the time lost.

2. Think about what you are reading as you read it. If circling key words helps you, do that. If writing 3-5 words after each paragraph helps you, do that. You can even underline if that helps you (though most people would say it doesn't help). Whatever works for you, do it. But the key to any of these strategies is to help you THINK about what you are reading. Every time you get to a new paragraph, think about what you have just read. Think about how what you just read relates to the rest of the passage so far. Try to predict where the author is going with his or her main point. This will help you read with a purpose and remain focused.

3. If the passage veers off in an unexpected way, instead of getting confused or just continuing to read with a "oh shit I lost what the main point of this is" mentality, stop for a second and take a deep breath. Think about how this new information relates to the rest of the passage so far. Try to figure out where the author is going with this and what the point might be. This will help you avoid getting lost or confused about the main point of the passage.
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

I'm doing this too. I have 6-7 fresh PTs so I'll probably average 2 a week. I'm not as worried about stamina this time through. Focusing on drilling weak spots (RC and a few types of LR questions) and maintaining other LR and LG. Sounds like a good plan boys :)

good stuff, guys. Sucks I have only 3 fresh ones left (PT 24, 25, 26)...those are so old, but who cares. Took PT 65 and 66 only once, so those are semi-fresh, haha.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm

mrizza wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

Sia - Bulletproof.mp3

ETA: I did a full PT on Saturday, then some light review/hangover nursing Sunday.
megagnarley wrote:

It has always been my biggest weakness too, and I didn't put the time in to work on it before the Oct test because I took for granted that its the hardest place to improve so I figured I should just accept it.

What I'm doing now, thanks to Worm's advice, and I think a lot of us retakers are starting to do it... is writing out actual notes in the margins. I'm writing little 1 to 3 word explanations for every couple sentences. I'm probably spending at least 3.5 minutes reading/outlining before I get to the questions, but by the time I get to the questions they're just a joke. I think writing out the notes is especially helpful because it forces you to condense exactly what its saying, improving your understanding of it. Also, just spending the extra time with it makes you much more familiar with the structure of the passage, so the general questions about structure become complete gimmes.

Sounds like a good plan.

Timing wise...are you just skimming then in order to have time to write out the notes and get to questions in 8.5?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 pm

99.9luft wrote:
jackbauer10 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

good stuff, guys. Sucks I have only 3 fresh ones left (PT 24, 25, 26)...those are so old, but who cares. Took PT 65 and 66 only once, so those are semi-fresh, haha.

Ya I really wish I had more than 8 fresh ones... Which also had me thinking about the poor bastards that had to take this thing in the early 90s. Could you imagine going into this without any PTs? I mean, I don't feel too bad for those assholes, they all graduated to better job prospects than we'll probably ever see again; but still.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

megagnarley wrote:Sounds like a good plan.

Timing wise...are you just skimming then in order to have time to write out the notes and get to questions in 8.5?

The exact opposite, I'm going very slowly through them taking almost half of my 8.5 minutes in reading/outlining. Just try it and see how it goes, you'll be amazed at how fresh everything feels when you're going through the questions, you rarely have to look back.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:58 pm

mrizza wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

Sia - Bulletproof.mp3

megagnarley wrote:

Also, if you feel like you are low on time and/or writing things out doesn't help you much, you can just do the same process but in your head. In other words, just pause for 30 seconds and summarize the main point of the paragraph and how it relates to the rest of the passage in your head, then carry on. That's what I do, and I find it faster/just as helpful as writing it down.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:59 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
megagnarley wrote:

The best tips I can think of for improving RC are as follows:

1. Slow down. It seems counterintuitive, especially if you are not a fast reader, because 35 minutes is not much time. But reading at a speed that is too fast for you (that is, you finish the passage quickly but do not actually retain/comprehend the information) will be detrimental to your score. Slowing down allows you to make sure you internalize what you are reading, and in turn it allows you to answer the questions more quickly and accurately, making up for the time lost.

2. Think about what you are reading as you read it. If circling key words helps you, do that. If writing 3-5 words after each paragraph helps you, do that. You can even underline if that helps you (though most people would say it doesn't help). Whatever works for you, do it. But the key to any of these strategies is to help you THINK about what you are reading. Every time you get to a new paragraph, think about what you have just read. Think about how what you just read relates to the rest of the passage so far. Try to predict where the author is going with his or her main point. This will help you read with a purpose and remain focused.

3. If the passage veers off in an unexpected way, instead of getting confused or just continuing to read with a "oh shit I lost what the main point of this is" mentality, stop for a second and take a deep breath. Think about how this new information relates to the rest of the passage so far. Try to figure out where the author is going with this and what the point might be. This will help you avoid getting lost or confused about the main point of the passage.

I've been working on this stuff too, and I found that a good jumping off point were these videos: http://www.velocitylsat.com/online-course They're short and really only cover the basics, but I've found that his tips for active reading have really helped me. He mentions "hunting to find the thesis" and I think this tip alone is averaging me 1 more right answer per passage. HTH

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
mrizza wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

Sia - Bulletproof.mp3

megagnarley wrote:

Also, if you feel like you are low on time and/or writing things out doesn't help you much, you can just do the same process but in your head. In other words, just pause for 30 seconds and summarize the main point of the paragraph and how it relates to the rest of the passage in your head, then carry on. That's what I do, and I find it faster/just as helpful as writing it down.

Ya you're def right. If you can do that and get the same benefit it would be much better. I think for me personally its been nice to make myself have that inner monologue as I write it out.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Just got an email from Harvard's Black Law Students Association, who claim they got my name through CRS. They must've sent it for the lulz :D

ETA: Was certainly nice to get an email with "HARVARD LAW SCHOOL" in the subject line though haha

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
mrizza wrote:
seksy, you're almost full power... you'll defeat Rita in no time Tommy

I'm starting to feel a lot better about RC from my more meaningful drilling i've been doing too. Slowing down and writing out actual notes instead of just mindlessly underlining stuff really seems to be making a huge difference. I'm also writing down the actual line that has the justification for my answer next to it, unless its a more general question of course.

But Lord Zed is going to get in the way :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”