December 2012 Re-takers

GabeQuixote

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby GabeQuixote » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 am

megagnarley wrote:What are you guys thinking is a reasonable score bump expectation after a month of drilling? From the 170 mark...could a month of drilling cause a bump up to 174 with a few solid hours of studying a day?

(For the record my breakdown on Oct. was -1 lr, -4 lg, -6 rc)

If you drill only RC yes. Sounds like you and mrizza are on the same path.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
megagnarley wrote:What are you guys thinking is a reasonable score bump expectation after a month of drilling? From the 170 mark...could a month of drilling cause a bump up to 174 with a few solid hours of studying a day?

I went -5 RC, -4 LR -2 LG for a 169 and I'm hoping to bump it up to a 173+ in december by drilling RC like crazy.
I also missed 4 questions (3 on LR and 1 on LG) that I straight up shouldn't have missed. So I'm going to work on slowing down and making sure I'm 100% confident on most answers, especially the earlier, "easy" ones.

Yea hit a 169 too actually. Wondering if it's worth the retake given I need to bump it significantly to still be able to apply this cycle.

When are you applying?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 am

GabeQuixote wrote:

If you drill only RC yes. Sounds like you and mrizza are on the same path.

Thanks for the input. Do you recommend reading manhattan or any others? Or just drilling?

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 am

megagnarley wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:

I went -5 RC, -4 LR -2 LG for a 169 and I'm hoping to bump it up to a 173+ in december by drilling RC like crazy.
I also missed 4 questions (3 on LR and 1 on LG) that I straight up shouldn't have missed. So I'm going to work on slowing down and making sure I'm 100% confident on most answers, especially the earlier, "easy" ones.

Yea hit a 169 too actually. Wondering if it's worth the retake given I need to bump it significantly to still be able to apply this cycle.

When are you applying?

I'm applying soon, but I think schools can tell that you're retaking, so effectively, I'm applying in early January. UNLESS ANYONE ADVISES AGAINST THIS!! I'm probably doing the JD/MBA program at Northwestern though, so that's in rounds instead of rolling, and that app isn't due until Jan 3. If I hit the 173+ and we get scores before January 3rd, i might just submit my NU Law app then.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Someone said it earlier, might have been Worm or Noodles, but for some reason it just sunk in pretty hardcore for me right now. Respect the test. This test clearly got the best of us last time, so I think one attitude that can help us all is to give each question a healthy amount of respect. I think this will mitigate the silly mistakes we make.

I guess we'll never know the absolute genius who came up with that brilliant piece of advice.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 am

mrizza wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Someone said it earlier, might have been Worm or Noodles, but for some reason it just sunk in pretty hardcore for me right now. Respect the test. This test clearly got the best of us last time, so I think one attitude that can help us all is to give each question a healthy amount of respect. I think this will mitigate the silly mistakes we make.

I guess we'll never know the absolute genius who came up with that brilliant piece of advice.

Was it you?? So insightful. I'm used to only hearing one thing coming from you....

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:

When are you applying?

I'm applying soon, but I think schools can tell that you're retaking, so effectively, I'm applying in early January. UNLESS ANYONE ADVISES AGAINST THIS!! I'm probably doing the JD/MBA program at Northwestern though, so that's in rounds instead of rolling, and that app isn't due until Jan 3. If I hit the 173+ and we get scores before January 3rd, i might just submit my NU Law app then.

Are you just drilling or reading some guide books too?

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:38 am

I ordered Manhattan RC, so that should be here sometime this week. I read PS RC for October Prep and didn't think it was very helpful. I might take a spin through again though. I realized that I had drilled LG and LR extensively but only did RC during PTs, so I think in order to get consistency on RC a ton of drilling is needed. At least that's my game plan.. I'm fine going -1 or -2 on LR and LG if I can also consistently go -1/-2 on RC.

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 am

mrizza wrote:

Solid advice. How'd the PT review go?

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 am

Sorry Sugar. Its done.

I can pm you proof, or PW at your convenience, and you will see that clean-shaven is the way to go for just about every man. Except Mrizza. Shaving that glorious beard would be a crime against humanity.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 am

Retakers, are you retaking and applying or sitting out the cycle?

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 am

megagnarley wrote:Retakers, are you retaking and applying or sitting out the cycle?

Retaking and hitting "send" as soon as scores come out.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:I ordered Manhattan RC, so that should be here sometime this week. I read PS RC for October Prep and didn't think it was very helpful. I might take a spin through again though. I realized that I had drilled LG and LR extensively but only did RC during PTs, so I think in order to get consistency on RC a ton of drilling is needed. At least that's my game plan.. I'm fine going -1 or -2 on LR and LG if I can also consistently go -1/-2 on RC.

Let me know if the Manhattan RC guide is helpful. My RC scores are always a toss-up - not really sure how to lock it down to a consistent -2/-3.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 am

Alorain wrote:Sorry Sugar. Its done.

I can pm you proof, or PW at your convenience, and you will see that clean-shaven is the way to go for just about every man. Except Mrizza. Shaving that glorious beard would be a crime against humanity.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 am

enidwexler wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Retakers, are you retaking and applying or sitting out the cycle?

Retaking and hitting "send" as soon as scores come out.

+1. LITERALLY as soon as scores come out.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 am

enidwexler wrote:Retaking and hitting "send" as soon as scores come out.

+1

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am

Lenahan3 wrote:
finnandjake2 wrote:

The hardest games by far are in the 30's, if you're speaking of where the majority are located. There are some outliers to be sure, and some doozies in the 20's too, but if you're looking for games work I'd suggest 30's.

The 30's games taught me to think in unconventional ways, at least for the games section. I didn't have very much trouble with it in October.

Thanks a ton! In that case that is where I will start my prep. (After reviewing what I got wrong/right on Oct. Only thing I know for sure is I got -4 out of -7LG on zones)

I can't believe I didn't join TLS until after my third test. You people are great. I've definitely decided that my 167 was a blessing in disguise because I would have settled for 169/170 and now I'm gunning for 175+ which I think is very much doable. Let's show the LSAT who's boss!

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am

Oh my FUCKING god.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am

A little motivation for the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

mrizza wrote:

This somehow makes me less inadequate.

Tscherry

Postby Tscherry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 am

What up guys,

QUESTION. I know that reviewing your wrong answers is one of the single most imporant aspects of studying, but here's my problem. I tend to get a question wrong, look at the right answer, say "OH OK THAT MAKES SENSE", and then move on. Literally takes me 4 minutes to go over the whole test.

I NEED A NEW STRATEGY GUYS. How does everyone go about reviewing wrong answers? I guess it's sort of hard for me to pinpoint exactly where i went wrong on a question, nahmmmsayin?

Any help would be great y'all

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Tscherry wrote:What up guys,

QUESTION. I know that reviewing your wrong answers is one of the single most imporant aspects of studying, but here's my problem. I tend to get a question wrong, look at the right answer, say "OH OK THAT MAKES SENSE", and then move on. Literally takes me 4 minutes to go over the whole test.

I NEED A NEW STRATEGY GUYS. How does everyone go about reviewing wrong answers? I guess it's sort of hard for me to pinpoint exactly where i went wrong on a question, nahmmmsayin?

Focus on why you picked the answer you did. That's where you find the patterns of what tricks you keep falling for.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:18 pm

The purpose of going over answers isn't to make sense of the right answer, it's to figure out why you didn't choose the right answer and why you did choose the wrong answer.

It's not the "what" it's the "why."

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

I did this, so I figured it's time to put up or shut up.

After finishing a LR section, I noted the time. Afterwards, I would glance at every single problem and recall how I felt about it. If I had any reason at all to doubt a question, I would re-read it and solve it again. Basically going through the section un-timed right after finishing the section.

Took about 5 minutes.

Then I graded it.

Ruins 100% test day conditions, but whatever.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm

sinfiery wrote:

I did this, so I figured it's time to put up or shut up.

After finishing a LR section, I noted the time. Afterwards, I would glance at every single problem and recall how I felt about it. If I had any reason at all to doubt a question, I would re-read it and solve it again. Basically going through the section un-timed right after finishing the section.

Took about 5 minutes.

Then I graded it.

Ruins 100% test day conditions, but whatever.

I love this suggestion. I think something similar is trying to figure out what you got wrong "blind grading", if you will. Some one may have recommended this already, though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”