December 2012 Re-takers

Clarity

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Clarity » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:18 am

jackbauer10 wrote:Tonight I realized that my confidence in LG is totally shaken. I was a victim of Zones and now it seems like it's an ex-girlfriend haunting my nightmares and refusing to give me back my favorite sweatshirt. Games used to be my strongest section by far, (and dare I say most enjoyable?) and now I'm struggling with the ones I used to blow through. Should I chalk this up to being rusty? HALP!

This is how I feel about logic games. Especially when I tried to do it the first night after getting scores back. Not looking forward to having to do logic games again.

I tried to study Friday but my head just wasn't in it. I was disappointed, discouraged, etc. I took the night to just clear my head and it worked out great. Back into things tonight. I am in the process of going through the Manhattan LR Guide.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:55 am

Hey all.

I'm thinking about PTing here pretty soon. Is it difficult to reuse PTs? How much stock can we put in the scores on reused PTs?

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 am

Wormfather wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Hey all.

I'm thinking about PTing here pretty soon. Is it difficult to reuse PTs? How much stock can we put in the scores on reused PTs?

We retakers have no other choice. Your score will inflate a little bit but like logic games repeating them starts to give you a sense of how the LR and RC works, easier to pick up on patterns.

Assuming you dont just say "oh the answer to this one was b, moving on...."

I agree with Worm, I'd think it's the same as re-using sections. You're more likely to get the questions right, so your score won't necessarily be accurate, but it's still a really helpful study tool.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:38 am

What are you doing up this early Guest? :P

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:44 am

PickledPanda wrote:What are you doing up this early Guest? :P

Pickled! You'll be proud to know I've been getting up at 9:00 lately. Still going to sleep terribly late though so all I've achieved so far is making myself super tired every day.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 am

gguuueessttt wrote:

Pickled! You'll be proud to know I've been getting up at 9:00 lately. Still going to sleep terribly late though so all I've achieved so far is making myself super tired every day.

I would totally bring you a pumpkin spice frap (or a substitute of your choosing) to help. That's how I have to do it- get up early, be really tired, and hope I am tired enough between 9-11pm to fall asleep!

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am

PickledPanda wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:

I would totally bring you a pumpkin spice frap (or a substitute of your choosing) to help. That's how I have to do it- get up early, be really tired, and hope I am tired enough between 9-11pm to fall asleep!

Well you're welcome to fly over and do that whenever you want.

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 am

Today: PT 40 Review, PT 41, Manhattan LSAT LR 1-3.

Blurgh.

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm

PT 15 yesterday:

RC: -1
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -6

169 (-9 curve, wtffff)

Started the Velocity LG course immediately after the test. Heres hoping for some substantial progress!

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:31 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
Psib337 wrote:Did 16 RC passages today, no timer or anything I wanted to see how I did when I just slowed down and took my time, turned out pretty well I went -2 on 2, - 1 on 5, and was perfect for the other 9. My Manhattan books haven't come yet :cry: so hopefully I'll get a chance to drill LR and LG tomorrow, not taking a PT until Thursday I kinda wanted to go over everything again slowly before I jumped back into testing.

Well damn lol..all you did was slow it down? How much over the 35 minute mark did you go? (assuming you checked after)

I didn't check, for the first time back with everything I don't want timing to be an issue. It felt like I took a minute or two longer on each passage than I normally would. I was using the Cambridge bundles not doing who sections so timing for 35 minutes didn't seem to make much sense (even though in each set of 4 I probably was doing 26-28 questions.)

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Wormfather wrote:Noodley will review PT59 at 6:30 in the chatz.

central? eastern? krasnoyarsk summer time?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:54 pm

bitsy wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Noodley will review PT59 at 6:30 in the chatz.

central? eastern? krasnoyarsk summer time?

EST

FUCK DAYLIGHT TIME!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Wormfather wrote:Half way though PT59. Oh how I want to say "fuck it".

Her name is Alicia. She will destroy you. Statistically 1 and Statistically 2 speaking of *course*.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Wormfather wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Half way though PT59. Oh how I want to say "fuck it".

Her name is Alicia. She will destroy you. Statistically 1 and Statistically 2 speaking of *course*.

Two months ago at the prime of my studying I got a 170 on PT59, today: 165. Ran out of time on two sections.

FUUUUUUUUUUAARRRRRRK

probably rust, i ran out of time on all 4 sections

a couple more PT's and you'll be back in shape.

londonsportsguy

Postby londonsportsguy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 pm

What's the best way to study LR? They are my weak points...especially the wordy questions.

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm

londonsportsguy wrote:What's the best way to study LR? They are my weak points...especially the wordy questions.

What I would recommend:

Look over your most recent 5-10 PTs.

Note all the LR questions you got wrong, or ones you had circled and got right as lucky guesses, and break them down into their question types.

If you identify a particular set of question types that give you the most difficulty (MBT and Parallel Reasoning for me), read those corresponding chapters (again, if you've already been through them) in the Manhattan LR book, or the Powerscore LRB.

Then drill the fuck out of those question types in the Cambridge LSAT LR questions-by-type bundle.

HTH. Go get them tiger.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 pm

londonsportsguy wrote:What's the best way to study LR? They are my weak points...especially the wordy questions.

I agree with Alorain.

I'll also just tell you my strategy for answering LR questions because I think it works very well.

I always read the question first and then read the passage. There are people who think this is a bad idea, but I personally have worked exponentially faster since I started doing this. This is because when I read the passage, I have the question in mind, so I make a prediction about what the correct answer will be while I read. I think this method saves time because I can make my predictions accurately without needing to remember anything, rather than having to try to recall the details afterwards. (Edit: another implied tip here is to always make predictions about what the answer will be as you read. I find that around 90% of the time, my predictions closely match the correct answer, and knowing what I'm searching for speeds me up. Your prediction can be vague, such as "the answer will be something that makes ____ less likely").

Another tip is to remember that in LR there are always 4 wrong answers and 1 right answer. You're not picking the answer that's the best out of several answers that work, you're picking the ONLY choice that answers the question at hand. So if your prediction doesn't match any of the choices, try to find the wrong answers first and cross them off rather than just searching for the right answer. Correct answers in LR sometimes seem out of left field, and if you're only searching for something that matches your prediction for the right answer, you might never find it. So crossing off the 4 wrong answers instead of searching for the correct answer can save time.

I also try to work quickly by not taking too long on any given question, so I can usually end up finishing with ~8-10 minutes to spare. As I do the questions, I box the entire question if I am somewhat unsure of my answer and circle the question if I am completely unsure. Then, when I get to the end of the section, I go back to the questions that are circled first and then to the ones that are boxed. Then I go back through every question starting at #1 and make sure I didn't miss any EXCEPTs or anything else.

I also then go back from #1 and make sure the choice I circled in the booklet is the same as the choice I bubbled on my scantron, but I'm neurotic.
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Decided against retaking. If my cycle doesn't go well I'm gonna start prepping for next June around February. Down to my last take already. Good luck, guys! :P

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 pm

DaRascal wrote:Decided against retaking. If my cycle doesn't go well I'm gonna start prepping for next June around February. Down to my last take already. Good luck, guys! :P

That's probably pretty smart for a lot of people who only have a month with a lot of ground to cover. Good luck Rascal.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm

DaRascal wrote:Decided against retaking. If my cycle doesn't go well I'm gonna start prepping for next June around February. Down to my last take already. Good luck, guys! :P

Hey, I'm not re-taking in December either.

I would recommend, if you think you might have time to study for the February test, to think about doing so. That way, if the schools you apply to this cycle are thinking of putting you on the wait list, you can send in your new Feb score, and oftentimes this can help get you off the wait list and/or get you money.

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Sugar, do I have permission to shave my beard?

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Alorain wrote:Sugar, do I have permission to shave my beard?

Absolutely not.

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Alorain wrote:Sugar, do I have permission to shave my beard?

I thought you took the Black? You're on the Wall. No shaving on the Wall.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Started drilling LR again today with Cambridge bundles. I did 90 questions of different types (10 or 5 depending on how many questions there were for each type) and went -5 and 3 of the 5 were on strengthening questions which has been a problem for me in the past. I'm not really sure why though because I feel like making an argument stronger should be pretty easy. I have 10 more question types that I didn't get to today so I'll do them tomorrow and hopefully my Manhattan books will be here by then so I can get started on those!

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 pm

PT 67
RC: -8
LR1: -5
LG: -6
LR2: -2

With ~2 minutes extra per section...

RC: -6
LR1: -5
LG: -5
LR2: -1

Glad I didn't save this for later in the month - now I know it wasn't just "test day jitters." No more excuses. I need to focus on getting back in shape & getting much faster. (Didn't get to the last few problems in most of the sections.) PS LG Bible and Manhattan LR Guide currently en route to my house.

Here we go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”