December 2012 Re-takers

HawkeyeGirl

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Alorain wrote:So, if it was my plan to pretty much focus on LG exclusively for the next month until Dec. 1st, what what you recommend I spend my time doing? Start off with un-timed practice, advancing slowly to timed games, and then timed sections? Should I drill by game type?

I really like the PS method for linear games, but often flounder in regards to sequencing and grouping games. Would using a combination of Velocity's methods on top of PS's be a poor idea?

So many questions, gah. This is my third attempt, and I really want to just knock LG out of the ballpark. I only went -7 on the rest of the test combined (-3 RC, -4LR) so I think I can afford to slack off a bit in those areas to iron out LG.

EDIT: I promise I'll calm down and stop being neurotically obsessive soon. I just need to get my study plan hammered out ASAP because time is ticking, and this is my last shot.

How long are you spending diagramming? I've found that the less I spend diagramming the better. No need to write out multiple scenarios or anything crazy like that, just write down your rules and set up a basic template then move to the questions.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Can we have a review sesh to go over Oct 12 this weekend? Or tonight...I'm not planning on seeing any friends until after Dec 1....

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Can we have a review sesh to go over Oct 12 this weekend? Or tonight...I'm not planning on seeing any friends until after Dec 1....

I am so down. And I already told my friends I hate them and never want to see them again. They're still texting me, wanting to drink tonight.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 pm

desiballa21 wrote:How did y'all drill w/ Cambridge? I'm going through Manhattan simultaneously. Read the chapter then drill the corresponding type? How many per day? Should I do more than 1 type per day? Went -11 total on LR and it seemed a lot of people thought LR was cake so I've got quite a bit of shoring up to do here.

My strategy for LR is to do a PT and if I miss a LR I go back and drill that type (normally until I get 10 or so in a row correct in difficulties 2-4). Then I review the missed question again, and try to translate it to one I got right correctly, or create my own question.

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Alorain wrote:So, if it was my plan to pretty much focus on LG exclusively for the next month until Dec. 1st, what what you recommend I spend my time doing? Start off with un-timed practice, advancing slowly to timed games, and then timed sections? Should I drill by game type?

I really like the PS method for linear games, but often flounder in regards to sequencing and grouping games. Would using a combination of Velocity's methods on top of PS's be a poor idea?

So many questions, gah. This is my third attempt, and I really want to just knock LG out of the ballpark. I only went -7 on the rest of the test combined (-3 RC, -4LR) so I think I can afford to slack off a bit in those areas to iron out LG.

EDIT: I promise I'll calm down and stop being neurotically obsessive soon. I just need to get my study plan hammered out ASAP because time is ticking, and this is my last shot.

How long are you spending diagramming? I've found that the less I spend diagramming the better. No need to write out multiple scenarios or anything crazy like that, just write down your rules and set up a basic template then move to the questions.

My problem is, I often won't be able to answer all the questions without a very complete setup, and a lot of inferences. But it is the process of making inferences that I find time-consuming. And the new trend towards plug and chug has also thrown me off.

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 pm

can you guys do nov 8? some of us have signed up for the manhattan online review (7-930pm central time), and are planning to tinychat afterwards.
Last edited by bitsy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Alorain wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Can we have a review sesh to go over Oct 12 this weekend? Or tonight...I'm not planning on seeing any friends until after Dec 1....

I am so down. And I already told my friends I hate them and never want to see them again. They're still texting me, wanting to drink tonight.

And I love and embrace you Alorain. Love and Embrace.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 pm

bitsy wrote:can you guys do nov 8? some of us have signed up for the manhattan online review (7-930pm central time), and are planning to tinychat afterwards.

Thinking about it. Def plan on joining chat for the post-review review. I am hesitant to commit to Manhattan's because 2.5 hrs is a lot, and may not be relevant to that on which I need to focus.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm

bitsy wrote:can you guys do nov 8? some of us have signed up for the manhattan online review (7-930pm central time), and are planning to tinychat afterwards.

I probably can't make the manhattan online review, but can do tinychat after. I think the only ones I need legit help on are RC, the others that I missed, I frankly have no idea why I thought my answers were correct on test day, must have been test anxiety.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:

I probably can't make the manhattan online review, but can do tinychat after. I think the only ones I need legit help on are RC, the others that I missed, I frankly have no idea why I thought my answers were correct on test day, must have been test anxiety.

I think it was because you had a gdane in the corner staring at you.

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 pm

I think I might skip out on the review so I can take this one over in a week or two.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Just took a full PT (29) after the month off... 170. Gotta get back into this crap...

And I'm down to chat tonight Al/Hawk. And I signed up for Manhattan so I'll be there too.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Guys, rethinking my application game plan and don't want to make a whole post about it in another forum and get asked WHY WOULD U LEAVE IB??? 18 times. So I'm thinking I might apply to NU JD/MBA. I have a decent GMAT and gpa for their b-school, plus I might as well be native american as a female investment banker. The b-school does the JD/MBA admissions, so they'll be in love my with work experience.

The guy I know in the JD/MBA program said only 25% of the JD/MBAs are female, meaning the jd/mba program has some serious catch up to do in the ladies department. Kellogg has 35% and NULaw has probably about 50%.

Anyway, think it's a good plan? Or should take my chances with my 169 and whatever this retake turns out to be.. I think I'll apply to most of the t-14 too, just do NU JD/MBA instead of NULaw apps.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:19 pm

mrizza wrote:Just took a full PT (29) after the month off... 170. Gotta get back into this crap...

And I'm down to chat tonight Al/Hawk. And I signed up for Manhattan so I'll be there too.

Yikes mriz... I'm gonna eat dinner and do some laundry, but will be ready to go around 9PM CST.

BTW, daylight savings time ends this weekend, so we get another hour to study!!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:23 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Guys, rethinking my application game plan and don't want to make a whole post about it in another forum and get asked WHY WOULD U LEAVE IB??? 18 times. So I'm thinking I might apply to NU JD/MBA. I have a decent GMAT and gpa for their b-school, plus I might as well be native american as a female investment banker. The b-school does the JD/MBA admissions, so they'll be in love my with work experience.

The guy I know in the JD/MBA program said only 25% of the JD/MBAs are female, meaning the jd/mba program has some serious catch up to do in the ladies department. Kellogg has 35% and NULaw has probably about 50%.

Anyway, think it's a good plan? Or should take my chances with my 169 and whatever this retake turns out to be.. I think I'll apply to most of the t-14 too, just do NU JD/MBA instead of NULaw apps.

their mba program is ridiculous, if you could get both degrees there you'd be money. it would probably lead to consulting though right? if you'd be happy with that i say go for it.

I'll be on in like an hour, can talk about it then.

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Sup, bros.

helpplease

Postby helpplease » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey guys, after much self-doubt and pure anger, I have decided to retake. Consistently scored 165-167s on PTs and ended up with a 161 for Oct--crushed me.

After reading this thread, though, I still have a question. I pretty much took all the recent PTs before exam day. What do you all do in that case? I have a bunch of material for drilling and reexamining everything I already went through, but don't we need to take at least some fresh PTs before December? I feel like if I take a PT I already did, I'd totally remember my answers and it would be very inaccurate.

Thoughts?!? I hope we all do amazingly in December!!

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Sugar Lumps wrote:Sup, bros.

hey brother. welcome to the club

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 pm

helpplease wrote:Hey guys, after much self-doubt and pure anger, I have decided to retake. Consistently scored 165-167s on PTs and ended up with a 161 for Oct--crushed me.

After reading this thread, though, I still have a question. I pretty much took all the recent PTs before exam day. What do you all do in that case? I have a bunch of material for drilling and reexamining everything I already went through, but don't we need to take at least some fresh PTs before December? I feel like if I take a PT I already did, I'd totally remember my answers and it would be very inaccurate.

Thoughts?!? I hope we all do amazingly in December!!

I think that you should go through your recent PTs and examine why each answer is correct or incorrect. And write it down. It'll help you examine where your mistakes are, so you can track your thought process through any new tests. And I'm sure there are plenty of old tests you can plow through once you've done that. Also, October 2012 once again.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm

First practice test since October 5th tomorrow. Gotta put in the wrench time. Here we go 8)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm

http://tinychat.com/decretakers

if you guys wanna go over stuff

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Alorain wrote:

Me too. I wish I had practiced more and spent less time with them back in July.

ramadden13

Postby ramadden13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Got a 168 in October and am joining this thread to try and push across the 170 line. Main areas I can improve are RC and LR. Planning to follow the Manhatten books and drill extensively. Hope you guys get the improvement you want too!

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 pm

mrizza wrote:Just took a full PT (29) after the month off... 170. Gotta get back into this crap...

Four timed sections without interruption?

Or you do 3/2 with an experimental and break?

cassielam

Postby cassielam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 pm

thinking about retaking too based on how i do on a timed prac test tomorrow morning coming off of 0 lsat studying since oct 5th :(

any thoughts on 7sage's cheapest lsat prep program? i did blueprint's full course over the summer and i'm wondering if there's benefit from paying for 7sage to get help or if using another program's material might mess me up (in case blueprint and 7sage have different techniques). any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”