December 2012 Re-takers

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I am on meds and can't accomplish that which I seek to accomplish.
Last edited by PickledPanda on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bitsy
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby bitsy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Wormfather wrote:Ok mrizza, how about the RC people do sunday and the rest of us will do monday. Most of my perspective will come from Velocity and it so happens that Dave Hall made the PT67 videos available for free through dec 1st. So you can check that out if you want.


Works for me, I'll miss you though :cry:

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 pm

boblawlob wrote:From analyzing several tough weaken questions (difficulty 3 from the Cambridge packets), it seems as though answer choices that include "some" are ones that one must be extremely careful about picking. That is, pick it if all the other answer choices are SUPER horrible.

Like I recall this one weaken question from one of the PTs involving stretching and running, and one of the answer choices included a some...and it was wrong because some could include or exclude conditions mentioned in the stimulus...the vagueness and the uncertainty makes it wrong. And also, there was a much better answer. (which weird because usually it's 1 absolutely right answer and 4 wrong ones).

But however you have a question like the one on Indo Euro languages (PT 29-S1-Q16). Stim talks about a culture that doesn't have a word for "sea," so it had to have lived in a non-sea, winter area. The correct answer talks about some languages lacking a word for their environment, but again we don't even know with any certainty...it's vague...but it does weaken. And the other answer choices are absolutely horrendous: A. fish can be in non-sea area too...in small lakes in the Artic C. talks about the present when stim talks about past D. heat is very vague...there could be heat in anywhere E. being nomadic doesn't mean anything with respect to living in a winter or a non-winter area.

Basically, the LSAT is a total bitch. I just hope it's my bitch.

Exactly.
The problem with the word some is that the word in and of itself is a weak word. You have to be careful with that word and how its used to apply.

If you're dealing with a stimulus that states: "all tree's leaves fall off during fall", then you'll be able to weaken that with the statment: "some tree's leaves do not fall off during the fall". In other cases, when the argument states something like: most tree's leaves fall off in the fall", using the statement "some tree's leaves do not fall off during the fall" will not weaken it, since the stimulus is already qualified enough to encapsulate and overlook that counter.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Wormfather wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
I get it now. Go read up on the difference between sufficient assumptions and necessary assumptions and then come back.

I know the difference you fack. Stop acting like you're some LSAT genius when you're really just some washed up mouth-breathing old fogey. Get real you ass clown.


First I'll state that none of us here (except Noodley) can or does claim to be an LSAT genius. Next I'm going to ignore the insults because I think you might be able to have a moment of enlightenment here:

People going to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop is sufficient to bring about the conclusion that people love to shop but it is not necessary. It's like saying that I'm not in New York because I'm not at the Empire State Building. Lets go back to the statement:

lots of people go to the mall. Therefore people love to shop.

PGTM ---> PLTS

I can grant you your condition that they're not at the mall because they love to shop, they could be at the mall to get a picture with santa, or because they love large crowds. But their reason for going to the mall does not weaken the claim that people at malls is indicative of the enjoyment derived from shopping

now if you proved that people who do not like to shop but still go to the mall then you might have something. But based on the limited information given you cant assume something just for the sake of negating it.

If this is unclear let me know.

(Outed as having no idea about sufficient/necessary.)

That simple argument has nothing to do with sufficient v. necessary. Go re-read your powerscore bible's chapter on this topic. Seriously.
Last edited by dowu on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.


Let's say Sunday at 11am PST for RC then, if anyone has a different time they'd like to request speak up.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Wormfather wrote:Oh and to add to my discussion with udown, you're turning a sufficient/necessary argument into a causal one for the sake of negating cause. Big no no and can cost you points on the test.

That's where you're wrong.

"lots of people go to the mall. Therefore people love to shop." No where in a 100 mile radius of this argument is there anything that has to do with sufficient/necessary. You are so dead wrong.

I think your problem is that you see the arrow as an indication of suff v necessary when it only means that sometimes. The arrow sometimes indicates causality and sometimes is just used to show *premise -> conclusion".
Last edited by dowu on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby applemaroon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Bex, I see you lurking. How are you?

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby applemaroon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:20 pm

mrizza wrote:nmop has proven himself to be a lazy douche with every post he's put in this thread. just ignore him.

@ group study peeps:

I can do Sunday but I can't do Monday (Class from 4-10pm PST)

And here are my arbitrarily chosen cambridge RC passages that we can go over:

Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4

Not sure what your problem is.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Go sit on your dad's dick.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

rebexness wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:Bex, I see you lurking. How are you?


I miss my waiting thread people!
Lurkity Lurk.


It will turn to a waiting thread in a little over two weeks! Then you will long no more.

User avatar
Lenahan3
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Go sit on your dad's dick.

--ImageRemoved--


Being a mod would be worth it just to find fun GIF's for situations like this.

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 pm

lol

User avatar
bitsy
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby bitsy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
rebexness wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:Bex, I see you lurking. How are you?


I miss my waiting thread people!
Lurkity Lurk.


It will turn to a waiting thread in a little over two weeks! Then you will long no more.


bex! exwaiters should have a pre-LSAT kiki one of these nights

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Taking this from another thread: https://twitter.com/Official_LSAT.

Getting ready to get my strategery on.

Image

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.


Let's say Sunday at 11am PST for RC then, if anyone has a different time they'd like to request speak up.


Works for me pending work

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm

applemaroon wrote:
mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.


Let's say Sunday at 11am PST for RC then, if anyone has a different time they'd like to request speak up.


are you putting up a link Sunday morning? how do you guys usually do this?


Ya, we'll put up the tinychat link then. Does that time work for you?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Just finished PT 33, first time.

4LR
1RC
0LG

178

First time I've done better in RC than LR in... ever. Probably gotta stop focusing on RC so much that I neglect LR. Still pretty promising though, RC keeps getting better.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

mrizza wrote:Just finished PT 33, first time.

4LR
1RC
0LG

178

First time I've done better in RC than LR in... ever. Probably gotta stop focusing on RC so much that I neglect LR. Still pretty promising though, RC keeps getting better.


Good job!!!

User avatar
GabeQuixote
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby GabeQuixote » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 pm

mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.


Let's say Sunday at 11am PST for RC then, if anyone has a different time they'd like to request speak up.


We'd be reviewing these passages after the fact right?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:
mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3
Pg 48: pt4s2p1
Pg 68: pt30s3p3
Pg 70: pt35s2p4


seconded. id be down for sunday or monday, but not saturday. that shits the sabbath.


Let's say Sunday at 11am PST for RC then, if anyone has a different time they'd like to request speak up.


We'd be reviewing these passages after the fact right?


Ya. We have been doing them all on our own ahead of time, then just going over all of our wrong answers.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Friendly piece of advice: don't engage in eating contests if you want to have a productive night.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”