December 2012 Re-takers

chadbrochill

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am

Alorain wrote:Drilled LG sections from PT 20, 21, 22 today.

-2, -2, -3 respectively. So a huge jump from my usual scores of -6 to -8. Most of my mistakes came on the "off-beat" games that haven't appeared on the modern LSAT.

Nice!

The 20's contain some of the hardest games out there. Keep up the good work!

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:45 am

chadbrochill wrote:

-2, -2, -3 respectively. So a huge jump from my usual scores of -6 to -8. Most of my mistakes came on the "off-beat" games that haven't appeared on the modern LSAT.

Nice!

Hawt new tar chad

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:

Nice!

Hawt new tar chad

Chad will have a girl like that on each arm after he gets his 180 on the Dec. test. Bitches love 180's.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:05 am

Hey friends! Just checking in here. Glad to see everyone's making progress :)

I'm improving slowly but surely in LR & RC. Games are back up to solid which is good. My last three PTs were 59, 60, & 61 scoring 163, 164, & 167 respectfully. (167 was my avg pre-October). Question: I seem to still be struggling with some of the same things, namely with LR: weaken, flaw, & necessary assumption; with RC: tone/attutitude & supported/suggested/supplied. My question is whether it makes the most sense to keep drilling these, or go back to basics, i.e. re-read the PS bibles? Also, I heard Dave Hall's velocity books are decent, and assuming I can get my paws on them, what's the consensus on whether it's worth taking the time to read them? I work a 40+ hour work week, so I really have to be as efficient as possible. Thoughts?

ETA: ^ so true, Al, so true.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:10 am

jackbauer10 wrote:Hey friends! Just checking in here. Glad to see everyone's making progress :)

I'm improving slowly but surely in LR & RC. Games are back up to solid which is good. My last three PTs were 59, 60, & 61 scoring 163, 164, & 167 respectfully. (167 was my avg pre-October). Question: I seem to still be struggling with some of the same things, namely with LR: weaken, flaw, & necessary assumption; with RC: tone/attutitude & supported/suggested/supplied. My question is whether it makes the most sense to keep drilling these, or go back to basics, i.e. re-read the PS bibles? Also, I heard Dave Hall's velocity books are decent, and assuming I can get my paws on them, what's the consensus on whether it's worth taking the time to read them? I work a 40+ hour work week, so I really have to be as efficient as possible. Thoughts?

Try to get more specific about what mistakes you're making on those question types. Go over all your wrong answers and write out the specific reason why you chose the wrong answer. If you can identify why you're picking the wrong answers you can learn to avoid them in the future. Just knowing the question type that gives you problems and then doing them over and over won't necessarily help you make meaningful progress.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:13 am

mrizza wrote:
jackbauer10 wrote:Hey friends! Just checking in here. Glad to see everyone's making progress :)

Try to get more specific about what mistakes you're making on those question types. Go over all your wrong answers and write out the specific reason why you chose the wrong answer. If you can identify why you're picking the wrong answers you can learn to avoid them in the future. Just knowing the question type that gives you problems and then doing them over and over won't necessarily help you make meaningful progress.

makes sense. I always go through and write out specifically why the correct answer is right, but maybe identifying WHY i chose the wrong answer will shed some light. i'll let you know how it goes :)

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 am

Instead of finishing PT61.....I drank 2 beers and joined Christian Mingle for giggles.... :oops:

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:43 am

Taking PT 40 right now. I will put off review if someone else wants to take it and then review with me?

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Wormfather wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Instead of finishing PT61.....I drank 2 beers and joined Christian Mingle for giggles.... :oops:

There's a lot of jokes but luckily we're in an "on-topic" thread, so you've been spared. PT61 wasnt so bad.

My night got a lot more eventful after that post lol...

In other news, got a 175 on PT61. Looking forward to review.

RC: -1
LR1: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -2

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 pm

What time do we review? I'm going to get 61 done now. Shout out the Vets (mrizza, idk who else). thanks, y'all.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm

desiballa21 wrote:What time do we review? I'm going to get 61 done now. Shout out the Vets (mrizza, idk who else). thanks, y'all.

1PM CST on Tinychat, so 2 hours. Should be good timing.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 pm

desiballa21 wrote:What time do we review? I'm going to get 61 done now. Shout out the Vets (mrizza, idk who else). thanks, y'all.

OP is a vet too

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Wormfather wrote:If anyone has a minute and wants to help me out. My DS is up.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197917

I think it's really good, Worm! I think you need a colon instead of a semi-colon in the first sentence though.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Wormfather wrote:Thanks Hawk!

Where is says, "what honestly sets me apart", I would take the word 'honestly' out. You could change it to another phrase or just remove 'honestly'. Honesty is assumed. I like the positive tone of the whole statement.

GabeQuixote

Postby GabeQuixote » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:52 pm

I've decided to take it in December. All or nothing.

My last two prep tests have revealed this:

I would be 175+ if I got 1 and 2 star questions right per LSAT QA.

I keep. Missing. Easy. Questions. (In one case, I misbubbled!)

PT41 was -14. Of those *10* questions were 1 or 2 in difficulty.

:x

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:59 pm

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:54 pm

What approach do you guys use for inference / must be true LR questions?

Out of all my LR missed they comprise 40% of missed questions. Gonna re-read MLR guide today on them and drill about 50 of em

How do you review for RC? I've never even really heard of a way for reviewing RC.

Edit:

lolz just sat at my regular seat at the library and realized I left about 50 pages of LG and LR here from last time, surprised they aren't gone :shock:
Last edited by M.M. on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:I've decided to take it in December. All or nothing.

My last two prep tests have revealed this:

I would be 175+ if I got 1 and 2 star questions right per LSAT QA.

I keep. Missing. Easy. Questions. (In one case, I misbubbled!)

PT41 was -14. Of those *10* questions were 1 or 2 in difficulty.

:x

Gluck gabe! You got this!

Wormfather wrote:Thanks panda.

Have fun on the review. Make sure you go over that question about the front yards and brick houses. I think it boils down to a most+all=some inference but who knows.

Yup that's it

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:19 pm

M.M. wrote:What approach do you guys use for inference / must be true LR questions?

Out of all my LR missed they comprise 40% of missed questions. Gonna re-read MLR guide today on them and drill about 50 of em

Edit:

lolz just sat at my regular seat at the library and realized I left about 50 pages of LG and LR here from last time, surprised they aren't gone :shock:

Also ... I just sat down to review the PT I took yesterday and am realizing reviewing has never been constructive, and has always been painful for me; I don't really know how to do it and I feel better gains could be made just by concentrating on my (by far) weakest section, games and drilling Inference / MBT and Necessary / Sufficient Assumptions. I'm consistently going -1 to -2 on LR and RC so there isn't much to review there and I don't really know how to anyway ... basically the consensus on TLS is that you drill to proficiency, then PT and remove weaknesses, but I haven't really drilled games to proficiency apparently, so should I just forego reviewing PTs? I know what my weaknesses are on a superficial level (in terms of question types missed).

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 pm

M.M. wrote:
M.M. wrote:What approach do you guys use for inference / must be true LR questions?

Edit:

Also ... I just sat down to review the PT I took yesterday and am realizing reviewing has never been constructive, and has always been painful for me; I don't really know how to do it and I feel better gains could be made just by concentrating on my (by far) weakest section, games and drilling Inference / MBT and Necessary / Sufficient Assumptions. I'm consistently going -1 to -2 on LR and RC so there isn't much to review there and I don't really know how to anyway ... basically the consensus on TLS is that you drill to proficiency, then PT and remove weaknesses, but I haven't really drilled games to proficiency apparently, so should I just forego reviewing PTs? I know what my weaknesses are on a superficial level (in terms of question types missed).

I was never a big fan of reviewing before October either. I looked at what I got wrong, and figured out why the correct answer was right but that was it. Figuring out what trap you fell for and writing down why you picked the wrong answer has actually been tremendously helpful for me the past few weeks. I've been able to spot the traps a lot easier and make fewer mistakes now.

I highly recommend our Tinychat review sessions (or reviewing with someone else in real life). Explaining why something is right even if you didn't miss it to someone else also helps a ton.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Good idea Hawk. Guest, could you explain some of these challenging LSAT questions to me via Tinychat?

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 pm

PickledPanda wrote:Good idea Hawk. Guest, could you explain some of these challenging LSAT questions to me via Tinychat?

Me? Which questions?

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Sunday's To Do List:
☑ Drill 38 Assumption (Necessary) Questions
☑ MLR Chapter 4
☑ Realize I'm Bomb at Flaw Questions
◻ PLG Chapter 3
◻ Homework :oops:

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Did PT 54, didn't go that great but I'm gonna try and forget about it because as soon as I started it I realized I just wanted to take a nap and that feeling never went away. Taking a break now to watch the Eagles game (which I should've known would just be a complete mess) then drinking a Red Bull and back to Manhattan!

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:Good idea Hawk. Guest, could you explain some of these challenging LSAT questions to me via Tinychat?

Me? Which questions?

Whichever.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”