December 2012 Re-takers

Sugar Lumps

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Postby Sugar Lumps » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Alorain wrote:
Sugar Lumps wrote:Ugh. Worst day ever.

You and me both, sister.

Agreed...Looking forward to my fun Friday night of studying when I can finally leave work though!

Les Mis trailer makes everything better. All the things.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 pm

mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:
mrizza wrote:K let's say 1PM CST on Sunday, and go over the last 5 passages in Humanities and last 5 from Natural Sciences in Cambridge.

can we go over some of the mid-difficulty ones too? i dont want to use up all the hard stuff.

and retakers-- contact schools for waivers if you dont get them unsolicited. theres a remarkably high rate of success.

Ugh, I just didn't want to have to figure out how to number these things. Why aren't they numbered???

Alright let's do the following sections that begin on these pages from the PDF

Humanities

Natural Sciences

These are the RC we're doing for Sunday at 1PM review. Along with PT 61. Just bumping it up here so people who keep losing the post-it this is written on don't have to keep finding what page its on....

Edit: 1PM CST - the best timezone around.
Last edited by HawkeyeGirl on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:35 pm

sort of late checking in but I need RC help. if this was discussed before, what pages? if not...

what can I do ? I am averaging -4ish

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Did 5 of the Humanities RCs for Sunday (took a PT with the 6th earlier this week, so didn't want to redo it so soon). Went -5, so not too happy about that, though I am still slightly intoxicated..

22: -0
46: -2
74: -1
76: -0
78:-2

Some were doh! mistakes but others I'm still scratching my head. I just got my Manhattan RC in the mail today so I'm gonna read that tonight and hopefully it'll shed some light on the ever-elusive RC!!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 am

hey if you guys wanna review PTs 24, 25, 26 on Sunday, PM me

annet

Postby annet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 am

Slogging through Manhattan LR. Hoping to start drilling cambridge LR bundles this weekend.

This whole thing would be a lot easier if I could afford to quit my day job.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:08 am

Damn RC. Went -5 on 2 RC sections.

A lot of stupid mistakes. Like picking an answer choice despite it sounding not that great instead of going back real quickly to recheck all the choices that I might've arbitrarily eliminated. Also forgetting the main ideas behind the passage and then picking an answer choice that sounds good based on the fact that it's an idea that most fresh in my mind (in terms of reading) but forgetting that the answer choice is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:13 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:I just got my Manhattan RC in the mail today so I'm gonna read that tonight and hopefully it'll shed some light on the ever-elusive RC!!

Let me know if it's helpful! My current plan is to just drill passages.

annet wrote:Slogging through Manhattan LR. Hoping to start drilling cambridge LR bundles this weekend.

Same.

zniha

Postby zniha » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am

Just took PT 62 Total score 156, for me this is about a point above my average from pre OCT.
I went:
RC: -11
LR: -10
LG: -4
LR -11

This is a good sign since most of my work this week went to LG. My LR fell a little due to probably not looking at it much this week. My RC came up actually.

I need to figure out how to do my best consistently on all sections.

I know for many of you this would be incredibly crappy, but for me it is a good sign of improvement with my goal being a 161+.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:13 am

zniha wrote:Just took PT 62 Total score 156, for me this is about a point above my average from pre OCT.
I went:
LR -11

This is a good sign since most of my work this week went to LG. My LR fell a little due to probably not looking at it much this week. My RC came up actually.

I know for many of you this would be incredibly crappy, but for me it is a good sign of improvement with my goal being a 161+.

Congrats! Improvement is improvement!

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:24 am

zniha wrote:Just took PT 62 Total score 156, for me this is about a point above my average from pre OCT.
I went:
LR -11

We're happy for anyone who's improving!! Yay! Have you tried drilling the cambridge bundles for LR?

Chips

Postby Chips » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:32 am

I was wondering if those of you that have done PT 63+ if you thought LG in the 50s were particularly easy compared to 63+? I'm not sensational at LG by any means, but I've dominated the 50 games with 5+ minutes to spare, usually going -0, so I'm wondering if I should expect some culture shock when I get to the later games.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

Alright time to report the damage:

Did RC's for 21 & 29 today in noisy disgusting public library today. Went -5 and -4 :( :( :(

I reviewed everything through LSATqa, no definite pattern, but a lot of mistakes could've been avoided by simply looking at the passage. Not sure if I'm being too cocky since I've seen these before, or too reliant on my memory since I'm try to reduce the time spent going back.I guess my strategy now is to eliminate answers with my strong hunches, and verify the line-text of my final answers.

Either way, this reinforces RC retakes can be semi-useful to people like me who have weak fundamentals and probably reviewed poorly the first time. No one said this was gonna be easy, 21 days to learn to love RC!

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 am

chadbrochill wrote:Alright time to report the damage:

Did RC's for 21 & 29 today in noisy disgusting public library today. Went -5 and -4 :( :( :(

I reviewed everything through LSATqa, no definite pattern, but a lot of mistakes could've been avoided by simply looking at the passage. Not sure if I'm being too cocky since I've seen these before, or too reliant on my memory since I'm try to reduce the time spent going back.I guess my strategy now is to eliminate answers with my strong hunches, and verify the line-text of my final answers.

Either way, this reinforces RC retakes can be semi-useful to people like me who have weak fundamentals and probably reviewed poorly the first time. No one said this was gonna be easy, 21 days to learn to love RC!

I feel ya chad, I had a disappointing RC day today too. Have you gone through Manhattan RC? I did the first exercise and realized I'm not awesome at identifying the central argument very consistently, so I'm definitely actively going to practice that tomorrow.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 am

Chips wrote:I was wondering if those of you that have done PT 63+ if you thought LG in the 50s were particularly easy compared to 63+? I'm not sensational at LG by any means, but I've dominated the 50 games with 5+ minutes to spare, usually going -0, so I'm wondering if I should expect some culture shock when I get to the later games.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, I thought the 50s were incredibly easy. That being said, I generally go -0 with time left over. Zones was definitely the hardest game I've come across in a long time, even on a second read after getting scores back.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 am

Chips wrote:I was wondering if those of you that have done PT 63+ if you thought LG in the 50s were particularly easy compared to 63+? I'm not sensational at LG by any means, but I've dominated the 50 games with 5+ minutes to spare, usually going -0, so I'm wondering if I should expect some culture shock when I get to the later games.

If you can hypothetical, and have dominated up till now, there shouldn't be a culture shock. I'd say 62 is the hardest recent LG.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:Alright time to report the damage:

I feel ya chad, I had a disappointing RC day today too. Have you gone through Manhattan RC? I did the first exercise and realized I'm not awesome at identifying the central argument very consistently, so I'm definitely actively going to practice that tomorrow.

Hawk come on chats! I failed my vow... http://tinychat.com/decretakers

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 am

chadbrochill wrote:Hawk come on chats! I failed my vow... http://tinychat.com/decretakers

I'm onnnn!

zniha

Postby zniha » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
I went:
LR -11

We're happy for anyone who's improving!! Yay! Have you tried drilling the cambridge bundles for LR?

Typically I go much better on LR, I felt like the LR on this test was brutal might have to try that though.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:21 am

I'm a little late to the party!

I started practicing earlier this week and have taken 3 PT's: 52, 53, and 54. I got 170, 171, and 170, respectively. I mean, I guess that these scores are consistent... However, I am trying to get a 175+ on the LSAT (my GPA is a little too low for my target schools). This is a little bit lower than the range that I was at before sitting for the October test... So I am hoping to bump it up!

Today I took PT54 and the breakdown looked like this:

RC: -6
LR1: -3
LG: -0
LR2: -1

It seems like RC is my most volatile section-- sometimes I go -3, others... well, -6. Also, I consistently perform worse on LR1 than I do on LR2. For example, on PT 53 I got -6 on LR1 and -0 for LR2. I don't think that LR1 is more difficult than LR2...

Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, I see that many of you have been drilling particular RC's, how are you cementing the answer choices? Most of my RC mistakes are "doh." How have you been able to boost consistency?

Edit: Added stuff.

Sugar Lumps

Postby Sugar Lumps » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 am

It snowed like a MOTHERFUCKER here last night.

Me after work: Image

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:It snowed like a MOTHERFUCKER here last night.

What is snow?

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

You were in Canada last night?!

gettingerdone

Postby gettingerdone » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Alorain wrote:

You were in Canada last night?!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:52 pm

+1

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”