December 2012 Re-takers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
applemaroon

Bronze

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Post by applemaroon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 pm

bitsy wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Lets do a late model. 65, 66, 67?
i vote 66. im sick to death of 67, but ill look over it again.

anyone up for some more cambridge RCs?
I haven't reviewed with you guys. What's the norm, everybody take the test then review together?

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Wormfather wrote:OK, LETS DO PTs 66/67 SUNDAY OR MONDAY EVENING.

We'll make a decision about what night in 24 hours after enough people have had a chance to have their say as to which night.

I vote Monday.
Why not Saturday morning?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Wormfather wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
boblawlob wrote:Question for Weaken questions: If there is a some statement in the stimulus, a some statement in the AC wouldn't really weaken the argument and should be eliminated?

Example: Many people go to the mall. Therefore people love to shop.

Weaken it:

A. Some people go to the mall to eat and dont go to shop.

I mean in this example, it's obvious that A is wrong because the argument leaves room for those people; plus don't go to shop =/= doesnt love to shop. What I'm trying to ask is, is a some statement in the answer choice almost always wrong?
Not always wrong. You'd want to attack the assumption in her argument, which is that people go to the mall in order to shop.
uDown, that's not the assumption. Anyway...

If the stimulus is saying that many or even most people like to do something, then by nature an answer choice that only addresses some is not going to sufficiently weaken the argument. But this stem is kind of weak, we dont know what the author means by people when he says "therefore people like to shop". If it is ALLpeople then we have a "part/whole flaw". If its some people then we'll need an answer choice that shows that its possible that ALL people do not like to shop. If it is MOST people then we'd need show that there's a trait missing in most people that would be neccisary for us to conclude that they like shopping.

"Only people with money like to shop, most people are broke."

Look at it like this: pretend you're having an argument with your significant other and he/she says "ALL of your friends are losers", you can break this conclusion by pointing to your one non-loser friend.

Pretend they says most of your friends are losers, well now you might need to do some finagling "if most of my friends were losers then it would be highly probable that I would be a loser too, I'm not a loser so thus it is UNLIKELY that most of my friends are losers". You dont win, you just weaken.

If they said some of your friends were losers then you would need to somehow show that it is unlikely that any of your friends were losers.

[I kind of went astray here but I'm gonna leave it anyway]
What? How is that not an assumption?

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

applemaroon wrote:
bitsy wrote:

66 works. What do you mean by cambridge RC? do a whole bunch of passages and then review?
yeah, last week we picked a bunch of passages and then went over every problem we missed. makes drilling more competitive, and it was nice to have others help me understand my mistakes.
Lenahan3 wrote: I haven't reviewed with you guys. What's the norm, everybody take the test then review together?
we take the test together, like in The Perfect Score
(jk)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:37 pm

bitsy wrote:
applemaroon wrote:
bitsy wrote:

66 works. What do you mean by cambridge RC? do a whole bunch of passages and then review?
yeah, last week we picked a bunch of passages and then went over every problem we missed. makes drilling more competitive, and it was nice to have others help me understand my mistakes.
Lenahan3 wrote: I haven't reviewed with you guys. What's the norm, everybody take the test then review together?
we take the test together, like in The Perfect Score
(jk)
Cool. I'll do 66 or 67, but I vote 67.
Also, if it's just between Sunday/Monday, I vote Monday.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Great insight Worm! Thanks.

I have another weaken question that I'm trying to figure out.
PT 20-S4-Q25

Argument: Not Aware of humming -> Humming INvoluntary -> She is NOT responsible

A = aware
V= voluntary
R = Responsible

C is the Wrong answer. C says Some Involuntary actions are where the person is aware. Denoted as (Some Not V -> A)

But a way to weaken is for the sufficient to occur but NOT the necessary.
So we could weaken the argument by attacking the first 2 parts of the argument:

Not A -> V
the contrapositive of that is Not V -> A. This matches answer choice C, albeit answer choice C is a "some" statement. Shouldn't that be enough though?

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Wormfather wrote:@Lenahan3

We're going to go over both 66 and 67. Its game time.

also, happy 1,000th post!

--ImageRemoved--
Scoreeee haha, thanks! 66 Sunday and 67 Monday or what's the plan??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Wormfather wrote:
You'd want to attack the assumption in her argument, which is that people go to the mall in order to shop.
Nope, people go to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop. Never said anything about IN ORDER TO shop. You made one of those lay connections.
^ ^ douche ^ ^

I said that you'd want to attack the assumption (that people go to the mall in order to shop) if you wanted to weaken the argument. If you negated the assumption I stated, it would read: "It is not the case that people go to the mall in order to shop", which would weaken the argument by showing that there are other reasons that people go to the mall to shop and therefore weaken the connection between people going to the mall and people loving to shop. There are various phrasings of the assumption in that simple and flimsy argument, so stop being such an inane simpleton.

Yes, the assumption that "people go to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop" is also another phrasing of the credited assumption that can be attacked. It's pretty similar to what I said.

Go sit on your dad's dick.
Last edited by dowu on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Wormfather wrote:66 and 67 review on the same day magn, not hanging out with you fools two nights in a row. What do you think this is, a waiting thread?
Eff. Aight.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
You'd want to attack the assumption in her argument, which is that people go to the mall in order to shop.
Nope, people go to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop. Never said anything about IN ORDER TO shop. You made one of those lay connections.
^ ^ douche ^ ^

I said that you'd want to attack the assumption (that people go to the mall in order to shop) if you wanted to weaken the argument. If you negated the assumption I stated, it would read: "It is not the case that people go to the mall in order to shop", which would weaken the argument by showing that there are other reasons that people go to the mall to shop and therefore weaken the connection between people going to the mall and people loving to shop. There are various phrasings of the assumption in that simple and flimsy argument, so stop being such an inane simpleton.

Yes, the assumption that "people go to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop" is also another phrasing of the credited assumption that can be attacked. It's pretty similar to what I said.

I whipped up the stimulus real quick just to try to get my point across in trying to seek help. No need to insult other people on the boards. I obviously did not spend hours trying to make the stimulus as perfect as can be with only 1 flaw like LSAT writers would.

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

boblawlob wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
^ ^ douche ^ ^

I whipped up the stimulus real quick just to try to get my point across in trying to seek help. No need to insult other people on the boards. I obviously did not spend hours trying to make the stimulus as perfect as can be with only 1 flaw like LSAT writers would.
Hey, and that's fair. That was the point I was trying to bring home and the point that worm apparently can't see. He was acting like the assumption he pointed out was the one and only way to say it. The argument was so basic, which opens up the range of assumptions/phrasing of assumptions greater than what worm was preaching.
Last edited by dowu on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Wormfather wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
^ ^ douche ^ ^

I said that you'd want to attack the assumption (that people go to the mall in order to shop) if you wanted to weaken the argument. If you negated the assumption I stated, it would read: "It is not the case that people go to the mall in order to shop", which would weaken the argument by showing that there are other reasons that people go to the mall to shop and therefore weaken the connection between people going to the mall and people loving to shop. There are various phrasings of an assumption in that simple and flimsy argument, so stop being such an inane simpleton.

Yes, the assumption that "people go to the mall BECAUSE they love to shop" is also a credited assumption that can be attacked. It's pretty similar to what I said.

I get it now. Go read up on the difference between sufficient assumptions and necessary assumptions and then come back.
I know the difference you fack. Stop acting like you're some LSAT genius when you're really just some washed up mouth-breathing old fogey. Get real you ass clown.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I know the difference you fack. Stop acting like you're some LSAT genius when you're really just some washed up mouth-breathing old fogey. Get real you ass clown.
Can't tell if you're trolling or just a moron...

Edit: And by moron I mean complete douchebag.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
False dichotomy. Look it up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
Definitely troll.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
Definitely troll.
lolno. Stop trying to defend your e-friend. I'm sure he can (most likely not) handle himself.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I have hiccups.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

PickledPanda wrote:I have hiccups.
You. I like you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

From analyzing several tough weaken questions (difficulty 3 from the Cambridge packets), it seems as though answer choices that include "some" are ones that one must be extremely careful about picking. That is, pick it if all the other answer choices are SUPER horrible.

Like I recall this one weaken question from one of the PTs involving stretching and running, and one of the answer choices included a some...and it was wrong because some could include or exclude conditions mentioned in the stimulus...the vagueness and the uncertainty makes it wrong. And also, there was a much better answer. (which weird because usually it's 1 absolutely right answer and 4 wrong ones).

But however you have a question like the one on Indo Euro languages (PT 29-S1-Q16). Stim talks about a culture that doesn't have a word for "sea," so it had to have lived in a non-sea, winter area. The correct answer talks about some languages lacking a word for their environment, but again we don't even know with any certainty...it's vague...but it does weaken. And the other answer choices are absolutely horrendous: A. fish can be in non-sea area too...in small lakes in the Artic C. talks about the present when stim talks about past D. heat is very vague...there could be heat in anywhere E. being nomadic doesn't mean anything with respect to living in a winter or a non-winter area.

Basically, the LSAT is a total bitch. I just hope it's my bitch.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:I have hiccups.
You. I like you.
You make Panda blush.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm

lolno. Stop trying to defend your e-friend. I'm sure he can (most likely not) handle himself.
Lulz. Total troll.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:09 pm

nmop has proven himself to be a lazy douche with every post he's put in this thread. just ignore him.

@ group study peeps:

I can do Sunday but I can't do Monday (Class from 4-10pm PST)

And here are my arbitrarily chosen cambridge RC passages that we can go over:

Social Sciences:
Pg 6: pt24s1p2
Pg 8: pt6s1p2
Pg 38: pt12s3p2
Pg 40: pt17s4p3
Pg 66: pt8s3p4
Pg 68: pt32s2p2

Law:
Pg 12: pt36s2p4
Pg 14: pt7s3p4
Pg 46: pt24s1p3