December 2012 Re-takers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Poo-T

Bronze

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Post by Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 pm

hug me brothers.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Poo-T wrote:hug me brothers.
Not you too bro.
It hurts to live

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Poo-T wrote:hug me brothers.
Not you too bro.
also 159. what'd you make?

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Alorain wrote:My friends, are we taking over this thread for our re-taking studying purposes? Is this where we make our stand?
Hmmmmmm

And to answer your LG question, you might be like me and not super good at inferences. I would seriously consider velocity games. Dave Hall has a plug and chug approach that seems to get the job done. With PS I would find my self in a tiffy because I couldnt "hurdle the possibilities" or whatnot.

Go to velocitylsat.com and watch his games overview.

Edit: Velocity's approach sounds like a formalized version of what the poster above is talking about.
Worm speaks the truth. Velocity's games method worked well for me - I just got too lost/disorganized with PS. Also liked his RC although there aren't any earth-shattering secrets. LR... I was bad at it before Velocity, still bad at after. The Velocity games only course could be a decent investment.

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Alorain wrote:Also, guys. This is a plaintive cry for LG help.

I went -9 on the Oct. test, and -9 in June too. Things just aren't clicking for me the way i'm prepping. I shouldn't be blanking so hard on test day. LG is the one hump I need to get over. I would have had a 172/173 If I had gone -0/-1 in LG, as seems to be the norm among TLSers.

How did you all master LGs? I've been through the PS bible a good 3 times, have drilled a giant stack of LGs from PT1-40 several times ect. Its not like I've been totally slacking.
what do you mean by "blanking"? do you just stare at the page?
where are your most common errors? are you running out of time? are there specific game types that give you more trouble?

i went -0 on lg-- keep moving, even when the setup seems wonky, because the questions themselves have a lot of info in them. always double check rule symbolization. any specific games you want to work on id be happy to help with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Wormfather wrote: The only problem is that any system that demands major inferences (not a before b, b before c, then a before c easy type ones) gives people like rain and I a chance to just stare at the page wondering if we're missing something...then the freakout.

Velocity is mechanical, in the first lesson he tells you to always keep your pen moving, PS says take a moment and use "the registered trademark phrase" to beat the game.

Not that the other system is bad, but for those of us who's are a little less "The Big Bang Theory" an -0 can still be achieved through mechanical means.
oh i totally agree for a mechanical approach in most cases, but i was thinking specifically of zones and other rare types. i didnt set zones up correctly at first, because the rules didn't make much sense, but a lot of the ambiguity vanished once i had worked through four problems.

AKsnow

Bronze

Post by AKsnow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Wormfather wrote:
AKsnow wrote:
jackbauer10 wrote:reposting this: I need a strategy for improvement in RC. I've already read the Manhattan Guide and it still isn't clicking. I need to get started ASAP. Anyone have methods or suggestions? TIA :)
I'm in your same boat. The worst part.... I went -0 on !Kung..... FML. I can't even blame my shitty score on that passage or my -1 in zones.
My breakthrough was when I stopped with all the fucking acronyms and super systems and did two things.

1. underlined stuff I found intriguing/important/conclusion

2. 3-5 word summary after every paragraph
Thanks Worm, maybe I'll try that and see how that works for me. Something is obviously not clicking in my brain during those passages.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Scored lower than before.
Gave up.
Decided to apply to a top 50 school
---
WOKE THE FUCK UP
---
Registered for Dec.
Good to be back.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to check out Velocity's methods and see if I like it.

You guys are the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 pm

99.9luft wrote:Scored lower than before.
Gave up.
---
WOKE THE FUCK UP
---
Registered for Dec.
Good to be back.
YES brother! Thinking straight again. Good to have you.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Alorain wrote:
Gave up.
---
WOKE THE FUCK UP
---
Registered for Dec.
Good to be back.
YES brother! Thinking straight again. Good to have you.
Package received. Much appreciated.

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Alorain wrote:My friends, are we taking over this thread for our re-taking studying purposes? Is this where we make our stand?
Hmmmmmm

And to answer your LG question, you might be like me and not super good at inferences. I would seriously consider velocity games. Dave Hall has a plug and chug approach that seems to get the job done. With PS I would find my self in a tiffy because I couldnt "hurdle the possibilities" or whatnot.

Go to velocitylsat.com and watch his games overview.

Edit: Velocity's approach sounds like a formalized version of what the poster above is talking about.
+1 for Velocity. Really helped me get perfect. But it's not too good when you have a weird game like zones.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Gave up.
---
WOKE THE FUCK UP
---
Registered for Dec.
Good to be back.
welcome back

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:00 pm

mrizza wrote:
Gave up.
---
WOKE THE FUCK UP
---
Registered for Dec.
Good to be back.
welcome back

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 pm

So, if it was my plan to pretty much focus on LG exclusively for the next month until Dec. 1st, what what you recommend I spend my time doing? Start off with un-timed practice, advancing slowly to timed games, and then timed sections? Should I drill by game type?

I really like the PS method for linear games, but often flounder in regards to sequencing and grouping games. Would using a combination of Velocity's methods on top of PS's be a poor idea?

So many questions, gah. This is my third attempt, and I really want to just knock LG out of the ballpark. I only went -7 on the rest of the test combined (-3 RC, -4LR) so I think I can afford to slack off a bit in those areas to iron out LG.

EDIT: I promise I'll calm down and stop being neurotically obsessive soon. I just need to get my study plan hammered out ASAP because time is ticking, and this is my last shot.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Ok guys, here's my tentative study plan:

Taking a PT every Saturday and Wednesday from here on out. Taking it at 8:30 am in different locations (Currently planning Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles, public libraries, etc). Doing this for PT's 59-67 this way, and would love to coordinate Tinychat review seshs.

From PT's 41-58 I had about 10 LR/RC sections I did bad enough where I'm going to redo them completely
Every other section I'm going to review every right/wrong answer (Neglected this in October).

Also I have ~400 LR questions and ~50 RC Passages by type I still do, but I will do this after my reviews, and before getting backed to timed sections.

I also plan to spend 2-3 hours a day reading the Economist (I have 2 yrs worth of issues I've never touched).

My plan emphasizes review and stressful test environments.
Last edited by chadbrochill on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GabeQuixote

Bronze

Post by GabeQuixote » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Tomorrow: PT 40 with a breakdown of score, where I went wrong.

Printed all the Cambridge LSAT LR. Drilling my parallel (reasoning) tomorrow.

Tonight though: I am Bailey's. In a shoe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Even though your target area is LG, do not neglect LR and RC. Make sure you spend sometime reviewing areas you've mastered so you don't make progress in one area and slip in another. I spent a month doing nothing but games(went from -7 to - 0/1, and my LR dropped by 4 points.

If you studied 4 hours in a given day, then you should do 2.5 on LGs .75 on LR and .75 RC. Something along those lines.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Alorain wrote:So, if it was my plan to pretty much focus on LG exclusively for the next month until Dec. 1st, what what you recommend I spend my time doing? Start off with un-timed practice, advancing slowly to timed games, and then timed sections? Should I drill by game type?

I really like the PS method for linear games, but often flounder in regards to sequencing and grouping games. Would using a combination of Velocity's methods on top of PS's be a poor idea?

So many questions, gah. This is my third attempt, and I really want to just knock LG out of the ballpark. I only went -7 on the rest of the test combined (-3 RC, -4LR) so I think I can afford to slack off a bit in those areas to iron out LG.

EDIT: I promise I'll calm down and stop being neurotically obsessive soon. I just need to get my study plan hammered out ASAP because time is ticking, and this is my last shot.

I think it's fine to mesh what works for you with PS with what works from other places. That's what I did.

gettingerdone

New

Post by gettingerdone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Is it the consensus that as a retaker its more important to be drilling or PTing? I have tons of drilling material I can repeat but like many of you have done all the PTs out there (at least the ones from 40-66). Would it be a bad plan to just take one or maybe two repeat PTs a week and focus the rest of my energy on drilling?

Btw in Oct I went -7 LR combined -6 LG and -6 RC. Hoping to get LG down to at least -2 and was doing much better on LR during PTs so hoping to get that down to -5 at a maximum. Really hoping to get a 167+ in December, hoping it's possible given the time frame. Let's do this.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I can't take this feel anymore

I'm gonna drive off a cliff listening to Springsteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8yphj2hUI8

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm

How did y'all drill w/ Cambridge? I'm going through Manhattan simultaneously. Read the chapter then drill the corresponding type? How many per day? Should I do more than 1 type per day? Went -11 total on LR and it seemed a lot of people thought LR was cake so I've got quite a bit of shoring up to do here.

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

desiballa21 wrote:How did y'all drill w/ Cambridge? I'm going through Manhattan simultaneously. Read the chapter then drill the corresponding type? How many per day? Should I do more than 1 type per day? Went -11 total on LR and it seemed a lot of people thought LR was cake so I've got quite a bit of shoring up to do here.
id also be interested in this, since i currently have my printer belching out a fat stack of cambridge

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Checking inn... :(

Since I don't suffer from test fatigue and have a demanding and sporadic work schedule, what would your thoughts on only doing single sections be? With maybe 2 PTs on Saturdays and Sundays? The problem is, I can usually sneak away for 35 mins a few times a day, but it's impossible to sneak away for 2.5 hours.

My weakness is RC (-5) and slightly LR (-4). I missed 2 on games, but I chalk that up to zones throwing me off, and I hadn't been thrown off by a game since the birds in the forrest on my 3rd PT... Now that I know that feeling, I think I can manage to go -0/-1 on games in Dec, even if they do throw us a zone-like game again.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Worm, this is the one i'm talking about:

[Image

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”