December 2012 Re-takers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gguuueessttt

Bronze

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Post by gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

M.M. wrote:
mrizza wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:Doesn't it kind of make sense that they'll have plenty of scholarship money left over late in the cycle if they don't properly adjust for the massive decrease in test takers, most likely resulting in a massive decrease in applications. I really doubt schools will make the full adjustment and will find themselves trying harder to get people they normally would simply take or leave.
I agree it will be better this year than other years. But not applying until March will still mean they've given away a substantial amount of their aid packages already, so it will absolutely be worse than if he was applying early january. It might still be worth it though, that's why we're saying he should apply and see how it goes.
So basically Im fucked no matter what?

Unless I guess I somehow miraculously get accepted to a reach school that late in the cycle ?
You're probably not looking too hot at reach schools for this cycle unless you get mid-high 170s in Feb. You'll be competing with people who will have been on the wait list since mid-November, so you might have to be well above median for them to accept you over those people.

So study your butt off and hopefully you'll get a really awesome score in Feb. If not, there's always next cycle.

ETA: I think I mentioned this earlier, but you can also apply now, get on some wait lists, and use your Feb score to get off the wait lists.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
M.M. wrote:
mrizza wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:Doesn't it kind of make sense that they'll have plenty of scholarship money left over late in the cycle if they don't properly adjust for the massive decrease in test takers, most likely resulting in a massive decrease in applications. I really doubt schools will make the full adjustment and will find themselves trying harder to get people they normally would simply take or leave.
I agree it will be better this year than other years. But not applying until March will still mean they've given away a substantial amount of their aid packages already, so it will absolutely be worse than if he was applying early january. It might still be worth it though, that's why we're saying he should apply and see how it goes.
So basically Im fucked no matter what?

Unless I guess I somehow miraculously get accepted to a reach school that late in the cycle ?
You're probably not looking too hot at reach schools for this cycle unless you get mid-high 170s in Feb. You'll be competing with people who will have been on the wait list since mid-November, so you might have to be well above median for them to accept you over those people.

So study your butt off and hopefully you'll get a really awesome score in Feb. If not, there's always next cycle.

ETA: I think I mentioned this earlier, but you can also apply now, get on some wait lists, and use your Feb score to get off the wait lists.
Unfortunately I don't even think I could get on wait lists for my reach schools with my current score, and any schools I could would've used their scholarship money already, preventing me from going from wait list to scholarships

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm

M.M. wrote:
Unfortunately I don't even think I could get on wait lists for my reach schools with my current score, and any schools I could would've used their scholarship money already, preventing me from going from wait list to scholarships
Well if you don't get in anywhere you want to go after the Feb test, would you be okay with waiting a cycle? That might be your best option.

AKsnow

Bronze

Post by AKsnow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I just got around to scoring 67. Made out with a 170 this time after a 161 in October. I haven't looked at the test since release except for RC. I retook that a few days after scores were released and got -4. Today was:
-1 RC
-8 LR
-1 LG
I'm taking the RC with a grain of salt since this is the third time I saw it. Surprised with my LR performance. But I'm overall pleased with this result.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Hey Sugar:

I was totally growing out my beard again after I shaved it on Nov. 2nd. It was coming along nicely but then I shaved it again this morning, just because. Just thought you should know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gettingerdone

New

Post by gettingerdone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Should I be worried I just retook PT 61 and got a 167 (raw score 85) when the I got a 166 the first time I took it in August? Overall, I would be happy with either of those scores but I'm worried that there wasn't a drastic improvement.

Breakdown:

RC: -8 (didn't get to the last six questions and got no guesses right)
LR1: -4 (three for time, one incorrect)
LG: -2 (time)
LR2: -1 (time)

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

gettingerdone wrote:Should I be worried I just retook PT 61 and got a 167 (raw score 85) when the I got a 166 the first time I took it in August? Overall, I would be happy with either of those scores but I'm worried that there wasn't a drastic improvement.

Breakdown:

Yea, running out of time on a test you've seen not that long ago isn't a great sign, but maybe you were just overanalyzing because you had missed them in the past?

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Alorain wrote:Hey Sugar:

I was totally growing out my beard again after I shaved it on Nov. 2nd. It was coming along nicely but then I shaved it again this morning, just because. Just thought you should know.
I gasped audibly.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Anybody else been receiving a lot of U Minnesota e-mails and pamphlets?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gettingerdone

New

Post by gettingerdone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm

chadbrochill wrote:
gettingerdone wrote:Should I be worried I just retook PT 61 and got a 167 (raw score 85) when the I got a 166 the first time I took it in August? Overall, I would be happy with either of those scores but I'm worried that there wasn't a drastic improvement.

Breakdown:

Yea, running out of time on a test you've seen not that long ago isn't a great sign, but maybe you were just overanalyzing because you had missed them in the past?
This is a definite possibility. I was also spending a decent amount of time double checking all ACs on questions I would probably have solved faster because I wanted to "understand" everything even at a deeper level because it was a retake. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Having a really interesting day at work today. We lost power in the quadrant of the floor I sit on today. Still not back up yet, but we hung out for an hour waiting for it to come back on. Looks like it won't be til tomorrow. So now I'm sitting here in a replacement office with only one monitor and it's slowing me down like crazy :( The LSAT gods are against me this month.....It's like the exact opposite of the month leading up to Oct, so maybe it'll be a good thing? :lol:

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Retook 63.

LR: -3
LG: -1
RC: -0

=178

unlike most of my other retakes, i really remembered this RC too much. Taking this one with a grain of salt, but again, confidence way up.

only 4 more tests of practice left..

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

So what is everybody's plan for the week leading up to the test? I took Thursday and Friday off in October, but I'm not going to do that this time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Took the rest of 56 last night after chat review..

LG -0
LR1 -3
LR2 -2
RC -4

172.. -3 on RC just on that tadpole/kin recognition passage. grrr

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:So what is everybody's plan for the week leading up to the test? I took Thursday and Friday off in October, but I'm not going to do that this time.
I took off Friday last time, but can't do that again. I'm gonna keep practicing that whole week, but I haven't been able to consistently practice, so I need everything I can get. Other than waking up early, I'm not doing anything special. Special didn't work last time, so I'm just gonna go in and get the job done this time like it's my job.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:So what is everybody's plan for the week leading up to the test? I took Thursday and Friday off in October, but I'm not going to do that this time.
I took off Friday last time, but can't do that again. I'm gonna keep practicing that whole week, but I haven't been able to consistently practice, so I need everything I can get. Other than waking up early, I'm not doing anything special. Special didn't work last time, so I'm just gonna go in and get the job done this time like it's my job.
I'm thinking I'm going to treat it as I have every other week. PT Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then take it Saturday.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I have no classes on Thursdays so I'll PT one last time that day, then drill weakest types of LG and LR the Friday. Then 170+ on Saturday. I think that is how that works, right? :?

I seriously just want a 170. I would be so happy with a 170 on test-day. If I can go -3 or better in LG, I see no scenario where a 170 isn't mine. Barring like a -6 curve that is.

Okay, back to drilling my LG stack.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I took 1-2 PT's per day for the entire last week heading into October. Will atleast be taking the Friday before off this time around.

Alorain

Bronze

Post by Alorain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:54 pm

chadbrochill wrote:
I took 1-2 PT's per day for the entire last week heading into October. Will atleast be taking the Friday before off this time around.
Bro, you must have been so burnt out on test-day.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Okay guys, I just took a look at my October answers for the first time.

Not only did I do my worst ever in LR, but I posted my worst ever sectional LR score by going -6 in one section.

And to pile on, not only did I tie my worst ever RC with a -7, but I also posted my worst ever in a single passage by going -5 on !Kung.

So basically, to NOT outperform my October test, I would have to fail so badly that I'd outdo my previous two worsts in LR and RC, barring something terrible happening in LG.

Hmph.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 pm

My little brother is coming home. GINGER ARMY FORMING.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 pm

This makes me happy. Weirdness in a good way.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151313894748529

GabeQuixote

Bronze

Post by GabeQuixote » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Lenahan3 wrote:Anybody else been receiving a lot of U Minnesota e-mails and pamphlets?
Nope. I am not getting a thing.

If anyone thought this cycle was going to be easy for acceptances -- I disagree. The schools don't seem hungry enough to even send me an email.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm

GabeQuixote wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:Anybody else been receiving a lot of U Minnesota e-mails and pamphlets?
Nope. I am not getting a thing.

If anyone thought this cycle was going to be easy for acceptances -- I disagree. The schools don't seem hungry enough to even send me an email.
They would if they knew you like we know you. You would get a fee waiver and brochure from Pickled's school of law.

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”