December 2012 Re-takers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Sugar Lumps

Silver

Re: December 2012 Re-takers

Post by Sugar Lumps » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 pm

*texts a million people I never talk to new phone number*

*suddenly have to engage in twenty "catch-up" conversations simultaneously*

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

mrizza wrote:In case anyone was getting burned out on studying:

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun Tzu
this motivated me to complete two additional sections. many thanks for the wise words, worthy adversary.

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

i had already seen snippets of the passages from MRC, or else i prolly wouldve done more poorly on that section.

ive been trying to drill in distracting venues, so far:
-on the megabus while dj marv the bus driver pumped mid-90s rnb for 8 hours
-inside a clothing rack at macys
-during a veterans day parade

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:21 am

bitsy wrote:

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun Tzu
this motivated me to complete two additional sections. many thanks for the wise words, worthy adversary.

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

i had already seen snippets of the passages from MRC, or else i prolly wouldve done more poorly on that section.

Dedication.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 am

bitsy wrote:

-Sun Tzu

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

I struggled to concentrate when I did mine at a busy Starbucks. You're ballin.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am

GabeQuixote wrote:

-Sun Tzu
"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca
"I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question." - Harun Yahya

"Dude, suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." -Adventure Time
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 am

gguuueessttt wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

-Sun Tzu
"I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question." -- Harun Yahya

"Dude, suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." --Adventure Time

Totally used this meme the other day.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 am

Lenahan3 wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
GabeQuixote wrote:

-Sun Tzu
"I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question." -- Harun Yahya

"Dude, suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." --Adventure Time

Totally used this meme the other day.
Haha it's one of my favorites. Here are some more:

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Do not mistake activity for achievement...avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity." - Isocrates

"I hated every minute of training, but I said 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'" - Muhammad Ali

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:36 am

bitsy wrote:

-Sun Tzu

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

If I learned anything from being a little kid, inside a clothing rack at Macy's is the safest place in the world... hardly distracting 8)

I did one full PT today, 176 (0LG 2LR 3RC). Then I did another LG for lulz, and 10 RC passages. And of course read MRC... Don't think it really gave me any "aha" moments, but I guess its helping a little. Last 4 passages I did tonight i went -1 and they were all mid difficulty Law passages from Cambridge. I think the biggest thing at this point is just drilling the shit out of RC to actually improve my critical reading ability, because that seems to be a bigger problem than understanding questions or falling for traps.

And good luck tomorrow.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am

mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:

-Sun Tzu

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

If I learned anything from being a little kid, inside a clothing rack at Macy's is the safest place in the world... hardly distracting 8)

I did one full PT today, 176 (0LG 2LR 3RC). Then I did another LG for lulz, and 10 RC passages. And of course read MRC... Don't think it really gave me any "aha" moments, but I guess its helping a little. Last 4 passages I did tonight i went -1 and they were all mid difficulty Law passages from Cambridge. I think the biggest thing at this point is just drilling the shit out of RC to actually improve my critical reading ability, because that seems to be a bigger problem than understanding questions or falling for traps.

And good luck tomorrow.
Do you have a job?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:40 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:
mrizza wrote:
bitsy wrote:

-Sun Tzu

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

And good luck tomorrow.
Do you have a job?
I work Th/F, and I'm a full time grad student. But today I celebrated veteran's day with death by LSAT

SumStalwart

Bronze

Post by SumStalwart » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 am

Today I did PT55:

LR1: -2
RC: -1
LR2: -5 (!!!)
AR: -1

Total: -9, 170.

I feel encouraged that my RC has been getting better with the drilling. Let's see if I can get it to be consistently this low. I'm not going to lie, I am a little disappointed by the LR-- I keep making stupid mistakes (selecting the wrong bubble, or misreading the answer choices). Once I finish doing the MLR, I am going to just straight up drill LR and RC.

It's good to see that so many people are getting ready to dominate December ^^

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 am

mrizza wrote:I work Th/F, and I'm a full time grad student. But today I celebrated veteran's day with death by LSAT
Psh. People without jerbs.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:
mrizza wrote:I work Th/F, and I'm a full time grad student. But today I celebrated veteran's day with death by LSAT
26 year olds working at funny jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:
GI Bill pays me to go to school, that's my main jerb.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:08 am

Lenahan3 wrote:
Sugar Lumps wrote:
You're definitely not getting my discount at Starbucks now.

Lenahan3

Bronze

Post by Lenahan3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:
Lenahan3 wrote:
Sugar Lumps wrote:
You're definitely not getting my discount at Starbucks now.
I went there to take a PT today because it was loud. Didn't buy anything. Got dirty stares. Laughed.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 am

Lenahan3 wrote:I went there to take a PT today because it was loud. Didn't buy anything. Got dirty stares. Laughed.
PERPPERMERNT BRERNIE PERPS.

No, but really.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 am

Sugar Lumps wrote:

Jobs suck. Got 0 studying in today because I was in Michigan all day and now I'm back at the office tired as balls. I can feel my 170+ dreams slipping away....

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 am

M.M. wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
M.M. wrote:
M.M. wrote:What approach do you guys use for inference / must be true LR questions?

Out of all my LR missed they comprise 40% of missed questions. Gonna re-read MLR guide today on them and drill about 50 of em

Edit:

lolz just sat at my regular seat at the library and realized I left about 50 pages of LG and LR here from last time, surprised they aren't gone :shock:

Also ... I just sat down to review the PT I took yesterday and am realizing reviewing has never been constructive, and has always been painful for me; I don't really know how to do it and I feel better gains could be made just by concentrating on my (by far) weakest section, games and drilling Inference / MBT and Necessary / Sufficient Assumptions. I'm consistently going -1 to -2 on LR and RC so there isn't much to review there and I don't really know how to anyway ... basically the consensus on TLS is that you drill to proficiency, then PT and remove weaknesses, but I haven't really drilled games to proficiency apparently, so should I just forego reviewing PTs? I know what my weaknesses are on a superficial level (in terms of question types missed).
I was never a big fan of reviewing before October either. I looked at what I got wrong, and figured out why the correct answer was right but that was it. Figuring out what trap you fell for and writing down why you picked the wrong answer has actually been tremendously helpful for me the past few weeks. I've been able to spot the traps a lot easier and make fewer mistakes now.

I highly recommend our Tinychat review sessions (or reviewing with someone else in real life). Explaining why something is right even if you didn't miss it to someone else also helps a ton.

When do we do the tiny chat sessions, and what test will we be doing next?

Also, I really don't know how to look for what "traps" there are...

All this

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 am

bitsy wrote:

-Sun Tzu

PT39
lg -0
lr -0
rc -3

beast. you are a beast, bitsy.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hallbd16

New

Post by hallbd16 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 am

Jumping over from the Dec thread to ask for some veteran advice on how to spend my last few weeks studying (in addition to PTing and reviewing). What would you do differently? I would appreciate your two cents having gone through it.

Lsatqa details + Plan
Averaging 168.5 (high=172 two times)
LG 89% (-2) Had a rough couple sections in the 60's otherwise I am -1, so I am redoing all games 50+ twice before Dec.
LR 88% (-5.5) Drilling weak areas (cumulative and from most recent test) in between PTs, review LR w/ TLSers on tinychat
RC 84% (-4) This percentage is worse on PTs 50+. RC fluctuates the most. Don't have any study strategy. Need help here.

Other notes:
1) I feel like I have an issue with consistency when testing... I often drop the ball on one section. (balloon metaphor- improvement in one area comes with bulges in other areas)
2) Normally I finish on time, but slightly pressured by the clock, 25% a couple minutes early, 15% last 1-2qs = rushed
3)Testing in a cafe x1 per week, x2 in my apartment.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:41 am

Got a shiTTTY email today from Hofstra Law. Check out the guy to the left.
http://law.hofstra.edu/

Edit: Click over to the picture with two guys standing to the left of a woman.

bananashotgun

New

Post by bananashotgun » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 am

serious and honest question for the people who are scoring ~10 points under their average PTs:

Is there a reason you're scoring so much lower on the real thing such as taking extra time during the PTs or reusing old PTs? Or is it just nerves?

It seems that more than a small minority are scoring significantly lower than their PTs. The first time I took it I scored right where I thought I would, but I was also taking my PTs in the most realistic fashion I could on fresh tests. Then again I was around 160 where now I'm around 170 so maybe that makes a difference?

Not trying to offend anyone but I'm nervous and anything under 170 for me means that I will most likely be sitting out this cycle. And all this talk about going 10 points below average means I'm fudged.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 am

CR2012 wrote:Got a shiTTTY email today from Hofstra Law. Check out the guy to the left.
http://law.hofstra.edu/

Edit: Click over to the picture with two guys standing to the left of a woman.
Further confirmation that law students are wicked unattractive. Especially since schools tend to pick their most attractive students for these online promo shoots.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”