October 2012 Cancel or Keep

Cancel or let LSAC score this beast?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Cancel your score, probably didn't show enough improvement
No votes
Let LSAC score the test the curve will probably stick you above a 160
46%
Drink lots of beer and catch up on episodes of Breaking Bad.
54%

Total votes: 13

koenema3

October 2012 Cancel or Keep

Postby koenema3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I am hoping to get some advice.

I had taken the June 2012 LSAT and scored 158 and UGPA is around 3.1. I have about 4 years of work experience as a social worker which ties directly into my desire to practice and pursue family law.

I had a lot of stressors going on when I took the test in June including lots of issues at work, health concerns, and a death of a family member. I was thinking that these may have lowered my score. I attempted to study and reduce stress and anxiety in preparation for the October 2012 exam.

My PTs do not show a great deal of improvement (around 157-159). I felt pretty confident on the sections and feel that I did not get to answering 7 questions through the test and was doubtful of about 15 more answers.

My concern is two sided:

Will law schools look at a cancelled score as a negative in your application?

Given a chance of getting a same score and looking at likely missing 22 answers, do you feel that it is worth the risk not to cancel scores? I have heard comments about a generous curve, but how does this effect the 160 mark?

Any advice is appreciated from the community, I'll have a few trouble nights to think about this before the 6 day window is closed.

Thank you in advance!
(first post)

Clarity

Re: October 2012 Cancel or Keep

Postby Clarity » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

This is hard to answer because you didn't state how you felt after June? Do you feel like you did worse than in June? Do you plan on re-taking in December? If you're not then I would just let the score stay since I do not think any schools that accept a 158 and 3.1 average LSAT scores, but I could be wrong. There is a list http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195450 that has what schools say about multiple scores if you want to check out the schools you're interested in.

koenema3

Re: October 2012 Cancel or Keep

Postby koenema3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 pm

I feel about the same as June. I, like a lot of people, felt really beat up after one of the specific games and the brain zap carried over into the lr section that followed. I am concerned whether schools look negatively at cancelled scores, and if schools really adhere to what is said about considering only the highest test score.

I am realistic and not shooting for top 25 and super long-shots are in the top 50. I wanted to retake the test in hopes of improving my odds at one of my target schools or perhaps break a 162 mark to receive a little more in scholarship funds.

The schools all report that they consider the higher of multiple scores, but do they disregard a lower score? If I possibly score lower than 158 would this hurt my chances?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”