2 absences for the LSAT????

MissJenna

2 absences for the LSAT????

Postby MissJenna » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 pm

If you have 2 "Absent" on your LSAC file, does that look bad??

I will admit that I didn't bother to postpone the 'formal' way. I just didn't show up.

But will that be frowned upon? Do I need to explain it?

Clarity

Re: 2 absences for the LSAT????

Postby Clarity » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm

MissJenna wrote:If you have 2 "Absent" on your LSAC file, does that look bad??

I will admit that I didn't bother to postpone the 'formal' way. I just didn't show up.

A single absence is simply not a big deal at all, and you shouldn’t worry about it. A pattern of absences may be a red flag, however, and so you would be wise to be careful to keep your calendar free for your next test registration date, or to be sure to postpone within the timeframe prescribed by LSAC. If you’re really worried about the notation of an absence, you’re more than welcome to submit a couple of lines in explanation along with your other application materials, but it truly is not necessary.

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/pages/faq.aspx#lsat

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:07 am

Thank you..:))

Clarity wrote:
MissJenna wrote:If you have 2 "Absent" on your LSAC file, does that look bad??

A single absence is simply not a big deal at all, and you shouldn’t worry about it. A pattern of absences may be a red flag, however, and so you would be wise to be careful to keep your calendar free for your next test registration date, or to be sure to postpone within the timeframe prescribed by LSAC. If you’re really worried about the notation of an absence, you’re more than welcome to submit a couple of lines in explanation along with your other application materials, but it truly is not necessary.

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/pages/faq.aspx#lsat

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:23 pm

MissJenna wrote:I will admit that I didn't bother to postpone the 'formal' way. I just didn't show up.

That information linked to is out of date. It does look a little bad now to have an Absence on your record since it's so ridiculously easy to withdraw, and you can do it up until the last minute.

That being said, I also have talked about this with admissions officers, and a lot of them don't know that LSAC changed the policy and don't think twice about an Absent.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm

bp shinners wrote:
MissJenna wrote:I will admit that I didn't bother to postpone the 'formal' way. I just didn't show up.

That information linked to is out of date. It does look a little bad now to have an Absence on your record since it's so ridiculously easy to withdraw, and you can do it up until the last minute.

That being said, I also have talked about this with admissions officers, and a lot of them don't know that LSAC changed the policy and don't think twice about an Absent.

I have absences from September 2007 and September 2009. During those couple years, you could only register and then postpone, but never withdraw.... I'll be disappointed if the opposite ends up being true (they forget that the rule used to forbid Ws).

I'm not sure that applies to most people anymore, and I think they changed the policy back shortly after, but I can't see why it would hurt me when I can't choose to withdraw. I didn't take the test because I wasn't ready for it both times (and ultimately decided to delay law school).

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm

bp shinners wrote:

When did you talk with admission officers? Considering that policy change happened last year June I think schools are up to date on it and answer their FAQ accordingly. As for the information being out of date, if you are correct and this has not been updated since the policy change why would a pattern of absences being a red flag become less of a red flag when you can now withdraw the day prior to the test instead of having to three weeks in advance?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am

Clarity wrote:When did you talk with admission officers? Considering that policy change happened last year June I think schools are up to date on it and answer their FAQ accordingly. As for the information being out of date, if you are correct and this has not been updated since the policy change why would a pattern of absences being a red flag become less of a red flag when you can now withdraw the day prior to the test instead of having to three weeks in advance?

Quoted from the link:
First, if the conflict is with the date itself—e.g., you’re scheduled for surgery—your only option is not to attend. There will be a notation on a subsequent score report showing that you were absent for the test.

That information is out of date. I doesn't reflect the recent policy change that allows you to withdraw up until the day of the exam. So while you might assume that the policy change being a year old would mean the school has updated their FAQ to reflect this, it hasn't.

The reason a pattern of absences is worse now, and a single absent is now not negligible, is because it's so easy to withdraw. So back then, a pattern was bad because it showed constant postponement of/unpreparedness for the exam. Now, it shows constant postponement of/unpreparedness for the exam AND the inability to have enough forethought to log in and push a button up until midnight before the exam; and a single absence shows the inability to have enough forethought to log in and push a button the night before your exam.

But, again, I have recently (within the month) spoke with people who sit on the admissions panels, and they didn't know the policy change. I'm sure that there are people at the admissions offices who know about the change and factor it into their decision, but it's not universal.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”