Oct 2012 LSAT - Test Center Experience Thread

bettercallsaul91

Oct 2012 LSAT - Test Center Experience Thread

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Hey everybody, how about compiling test center experiences in one thread?

1. Test Center Location, City, State, Country

2. Proctors

3. The center itself (bathrooms, your room, desks, clocks, noise, ease of access/parking, etc)

4. Everything else/General advice you'd like to share

---

1. University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA

2. Nice, no problems. Not strict enough? Didn't notice one person having a water bottle on their desk and drinking from it during the exam. One person had an aluminum can in their plastic bag (aluminum cans not allowed). People were allowed to use bathrooms after checking in before section 1 started even though they entered the room. Not complaining about their leniency, but I did go out of my way to buy a juice box instead of the aluminum can beverage I had intended on taking.

3. Bathrooms were close, contrary to what was said in another review on the wikia that I had read, but during the break, there was a long line that took up 9 minutes of the break. Very small classroom. Long desks (one person to long desk), spaciousness was verrry nice. No clocks in my classroom, through proctors brought a tiny digital alarm clock and put it in the front (couldn't see it from the back where I was sitting, though). Noise was not bad - when we started, could hear another classroom playing a movie, but one of the proctors left the room and by the time she came back, we couldn't hear the movie anymore ... could hear some students sing 'Happy Birthday' to someone at some point, but after that was over, it was all good. There was even an airshow going on (super loud), but we couldn't hear it from our classroom, which faced away from where the airshow was going on. So relieved. Might have been different for classrooms facing East or North (mine faced West). I walked there, so no parking problems, but there seemed to be plenty of parking spaces, to my surprise. People with wheelchairs should definitely get some assistance ... there is a big steep hill to climb up to get to the Lone Mountain campus.

4. One final perk that I highly recommend to other people who experience very good weather - take the window seat and crack it open a bit. One of the best parts of this test-taking experience was getting a nice, refreshing breeze that kept me alert and awake through the test and definitely helped my mental clarity and helped me ward off anxiety.

Thanks to everyone who pitches in. I'm sure December-testers and others will appreciate it in picking a test center. Thought it might be nice to have reviews in one place, too.

michelleville

Re: Oct 2012 LSAT - Test Center Experience Thread

Postby michelleville » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Ashton College, Vancouver BC, Canada

2. Proctors

They were fine. They whispered a little bit sometimes, but it wasn't a big deal. Got us started quickly and out of there as soon as possible.

3. The center itself (bathrooms, your room, desks, clocks, noise, ease of access/parking, etc)

FABULOUS. Couldn't have been better. People were divided up alphabetically into different rooms...there were 9 people incl me in my room. I had a double sized desk to myself. Enough bathrooms, rooms were quiet, downtown so a bit of traffic noise but nothing extraordinary, 5 minute walk from the skytrain (metro).

I'm so happy with this testing center. When I was choosing a center I researched online and couldn't find anything about Ashton College, so I'm here to say it is an excellent place to test!

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:02 pm

1. Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of 'Murica
2. 3 nice ladies.
3. Clean bathrooms, lots of space, no noise, probably 45 seconds between sections, clear 5 minute warning (although she missed it until 3 minutes once. Oh well) a little chilly.
4. Conditions really ideal. Just needed to have a hoodie.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote: Not complaining . . . but I did go out of my way to buy a juice box instead of the aluminum can beverage I had intended on taking.

I fucking love TLS. Post LSAT time is the best.

annet

Postby annet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 pm

1. Test Center Location, City, State, Country: UW Madison (I was in Psych 105, last names A-F were in Psych 113), Madison, WI

2. Proctors: Seemed to be work-study students from University Testing - all but the two head proctors had on matching shirts. Very good, very professional, no problems. They were very efficient getting everyone set and each time something needed to be passed out or turned in. Really good about 5 minute warnings.

[edit] - reasonably lenient, water bottles seemed to be ok under the desk and there were no baggie checks. Proctor went off-script and apologized there were no lockers but backpacks did have to be left in the back. Also mentioned that just in case anyone had a cell phone on them that if any proctor saw it you'd be out and it had to be off so keep it in your pocket. They were also willing to step outside with a few smokers at break.

Seating was assigned and there was absolutely no moving.

3. The center itself (bathrooms, your room, desks, clocks, noise, ease of access/parking, etc). The only bathrooms were on the lower level, 6 (8?) stalls in the ladies room so the line was up the stairs at break. Dudes seemed to be doing ok. Desks pulled out from the chair in front of you - maybe 18in. square? Slightly less annoying than the flip-up ones. We were seated every other chair so you could use the little desk of the chair next to you as well. No outside noise. The clock in the room was electric so there was a noise when it advanced if that sort of thing bothers you.

Parking would have been fine if it hadn't been a fucking football Saturday. So, no parking, messed up busses, no cell phones, and zero pay phones in Union South across the street. This bugged me.

4. Everything else/General advice you'd like to share. Lots of vending if you forgot your snack or drink.
Last edited by annet on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:11 pm

1. Georgetown University - Bunn Multicultural Center, Washington DC

2. I had three proctors all together; two of them spoke with European accents and an American woman. The European Proctors seemed very strict and ran the entire test by the book. Which can be annoying when you are dealing with restricted seating and workspace (see below). However, they weren't unreasonable. At one point, I was trying to find the room after the break and apparently there was one minute left before the next section started. The Male checked the bathrooms and saw me headed back to the room and told me the test was about to start. I think they were great, personally, because the test started and ended exactly on time based on when we were seated.

3. The building is 5 stories, but the test was administered in the lowest level/basement. It is clean and well-lit, though, but there were no clocks that I could see, which could be a problem if you are on break or head to the bathroom during the exam. The desks are the small lecture hall desks more suited for writing in a spiral notebook or reading than dealing with a booklet; the desk space was so restricting that some people had to use their arms to cradle their watches and extra pencils, while a few others were lucky enough to have an empty desk next to theirs that could be used as a spare surface. The chairs were uncomfortable. I'm tall, so crouching over the booklet and leaning over hurt my neck. There are four bathrooms on either side of the hall, 1 larger and 1 smaller for mens and the womens restrooms, so there is at least another option on the floor if one bathroom is full. There is minimal parking space on campus; I am familiar with the school, so this was not a problem for me. However, if you drive, be warned that you will need to find the parking garage and not use the parking lot that is right outside the entrance.

4. I would not choose this location again simply because the lack of desk space can be a problem when you have assorted items that you need to access. This became a hindrance with the games section's new format, actually, adding another strategic element (i.e. "Wait, I think this might have been in prior work, let me lean to the left to pull up that page while holding the other one securely to the desk with my right hand." or "It might be easier to do my work on the right page because there are only 2 questions on the left, and once I diagram I can..."). I could see how this could be a problem for people with RC issues, as well.
Last edited by RCinDNA on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

1. Fordham University Law School, NYC

2. Proctors: Slow but friendly and very good at observing the rules and keeping track of time during the sections. There were five of them for just 40-something test takers but the proctors made sure not to talk to each other in their boredom.

3. The center itself: Clean bathrooms with many stalls, spacious desks that were well illuminated, chairs were cushioned and there was a good amount of leg room. Three large digital clocks on the walls, yay. There was construction going on outside which made the entrance a little hard to find but noise was not an issue.

4. My favorite testing center of the three I've been to.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

University of Houston (Melcher Hall?) Houston, TX, USA

2. Proctors
Good. Kind of fat. We were in a squished room and they didn't really fit in the aisles. The timing was awesome though.

Good - this room had long tables which was nice. No clock (boo), noise level was silent, parking easy.

I took it at U of Houston in February and it blew - we didn't start until like 9:45 or later, we had to use little tiny desks that didn't have enough room to keep the test booklet open, and some guy fell asleep and started loudly snoring. Overall, October was 100x better.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote: Not complaining . . . but I did go out of my way to buy a juice box instead of the aluminum can beverage I had intended on taking.

I fucking love TLS. Post LSAT time is the best.

Yo I cut it close to 8:30 hitting up a store on my way there to get a new beverage. No water fountains at my test center so I had to get something I could take in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”