Need advice on canceling

isthisreallife?
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Need advice on canceling

Postby isthisreallife? » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm

That BLEW. I epically fucked up LG, like not even getting to the fourth game fucked up and filled in random answers. Other sections I felt pretty confident about.


My question is this...should I cancel and retake in Dec or wait and see what I got? All my PT's were between 171-175. If there's any chance in hell I broke 170 I don't want to cancel because I wouldn't retake with that, studying has been hell the past two months. But I'm nervous about not canceling in case I did way worse than I thought on the other sections. Won't it look pretty bad if I apply with a 170+ and a score in the low 160's?

Ugh, I feel terrible right now. Did not see this coming. Feel like most of the schools I want are out of reach now :(

User avatar
HuskyHopeful
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby HuskyHopeful » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Everyone feels like they bomb right after the test, have you seen the waiting thread? =d Sleep on it. If you still feel like canceling in a few days go for it.

bagold
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:54 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby bagold » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm in a similar boat albeit at a lower scale. I totally bombed logic games -- guessed on both the entire first and fourth games. I usually hit between -1 and -4 on lg so this is a major drop. On all the other sections I felt like I hit around my average. If I know I'm going to retake in December is it worth keeping the score? I'd like to apply for next fall and don't have a score on record so I kinda need it but I'm sure I didn't hit near my average. To cancel or not to cancel?

All help is appreciated :(

User avatar
Poo-T
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby Poo-T » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm

So glad I'm not alone. I didn't get to the 4th game either. Other than that I kinda feel ok

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Poo-T wrote:So glad I'm not alone. I didn't get to the 4th game either. Other than that I kinda feel ok


Yep, that's the boat I'm in. I was strong on the exp., and everything else, but I ended up guessing on a lot of questions in the last LG one. As soon as I realized I was still trying to put one of the first two games (I think it was the second) in some form of diagram twenty minutes in, I realized that this entire section was a wash. Was hoping to get here and have this be the experimental b/c frankly, I was about to cancel before wasting my time with the writing sample as a girl in the room who is obviously smarter than I am did.

gg2
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby gg2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm

bagold wrote:if I know I'm going to retake in December is it worth keeping the score? I'd like to apply for next fall and don't have a score on record so I kinda need it but I'm sure I didn't hit near my average. To cancel or not to cancel?


this exactly. such a shame because i had ideal testing conditions - perfecting lighting, awesome/nice proctor, lots of desk space... *sigh*

User avatar
Ex Cearulo
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:31 pm

isthisreallife? wrote:That BLEW. I epically fucked up LG, like not even getting to the fourth game fucked up and filled in random answers. Other sections I felt pretty confident about.


My question is this...should I cancel and retake in Dec or wait and see what I got? All my PT's were between 171-175. If there's any chance in hell I broke 170 I don't want to cancel because I wouldn't retake with that, studying has been hell the past two months. But I'm nervous about not canceling in case I did way worse than I thought on the other sections. Won't it look pretty bad if I apply with a 170+ and a score in the low 160's?

Ugh, I feel terrible right now. Did not see this coming. Feel like most of the schools I want are out of reach now :(


Like most tough questions, "it depends." If most/all of the schools you're applying to only consider your highest score, then technically it won't hurt to see what you got and then re-take in Dec if you're not happy. In addition, if you're ED-ing anywhere, you may not have the ability to use a Dec score.

I'm in a very similar boat. I may cancel, but haven't decided yet.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby Jaqen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Everyone feels like they bomb right after the test, have you seen the waiting thread? =d Sleep on it. If you still feel like canceling in a few days go for it.


Seconded. No reason not to give it a day or two.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Jaqen wrote:
HuskyHopeful wrote:Everyone feels like they bomb right after the test, have you seen the waiting thread? =d Sleep on it. If you still feel like canceling in a few days go for it.


Seconded. No reason not to give it a day or two.


But, if OP guessed on like 5-6 questions and in PT's they never guess? Then they have to cancel.

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby mqt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:52 pm

isthisreallife? wrote:That BLEW. I epically fucked up LG, like not even getting to the fourth game fucked up and filled in random answers. Other sections I felt pretty confident about.


It seems to depend on two things:

1) The schools you intend to apply to/when you plan to apply.

2) Just how confident you feel otherwise. As a fellow mid-170 PTer, the odds of getting a 170+ with a possible -6/7 assumed in LG are extremely low. But if you think you nailed everything else, it might be worth the risk, especially if your targets only take your highest. You can have one semi-disastrous section and get a high 160 if you're strong elsewhere.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby msquaredb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:54 pm

isthisreallife? wrote:That BLEW. I epically fucked up LG, like not even getting to the fourth game fucked up and filled in random answers. Other sections I felt pretty confident about.


My question is this...should I cancel and retake in Dec or wait and see what I got? All my PT's were between 171-175. If there's any chance in hell I broke 170 I don't want to cancel because I wouldn't retake with that, studying has been hell the past two months. But I'm nervous about not canceling in case I did way worse than I thought on the other sections. Won't it look pretty bad if I apply with a 170+ and a score in the low 160's?

Ugh, I feel terrible right now. Did not see this coming. Feel like most of the schools I want are out of reach now :(


This is EXACTLY me. In fact, I got a 177 the PT before the exam. I guessed for like 8 questions on this damn logic game section.

I will be lucky to get a 167. Although I would take that gladly after this disastrous day.

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Is it even possible to get to 160 if you almost guess/miss half the questions on one, even if you did very well on the other sections?

User avatar
jato
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby jato » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:05 pm

I am totally in the same boat also. I had three LR sections and my LG section didn't come until the very end. My brain just couldn't comprehend this seemingly new plug-in-play game style. I rarely miss many in the LG section but this time it felt like I was just guessing the entire time, especially in games #1 and #4. Everything else felt pretty good however. Darn those logic games. I think I might just let it ride.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby M.M. » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Is it even possible to get to 160 if you almost guess/miss half the questions on one, even if you did very well on the other sections?



Yeah ... depending on your definition of doing well.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby msquaredb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Is it even possible to get to 160 if you almost guess/miss half the questions on one, even if you did very well on the other sections?


Yeah I used to do it all the time. I would miss like 8 on LG and miss only 3 or 4 on the rest of the test.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Need advice on canceling

Postby Jaqen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
HuskyHopeful wrote:Everyone feels like they bomb right after the test, have you seen the waiting thread? =d Sleep on it. If you still feel like canceling in a few days go for it.


Seconded. No reason not to give it a day or two.


But, if OP guessed on like 5-6 questions and in PT's they never guess? Then they have to cancel.


True.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”