Retaining LSAT ability?

Easy-E

Retaining LSAT ability?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 am

I've taken the LSAT twice, 161 in October '11 and a 169 in June '12. I would very much like to work in NYC, but with my GPA (3.1) I don't see how I can get into a school that would get me the kind of job I'd like (lets say, >80k). I have a job at the family business right now, so it's about as stable as it can get, considering I live with my boss and everything. I'm considering taking a third year off and taking the LSAT a third time next June.

I had my best LR/RC sections in June, going -3 in total between the three of them, but I dropped a brutal -7 in LG, and the curve didn't help one bit. My concern is that after so much time off from studying from the LSAT, I will basically be starting from scratch. I guess the question is how much can I expect to retain? I obviously don't mean to imply I'm not going to study for June '13 (if I do sit for it), I'm just not sure how much I can expect to retain from previous studying. Is the LSAT like riding a bike? Albeit, an evil bike?

Psib337

Re: Retaining LSAT ability?

Postby Psib337 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 am

My friend took the LSAT last February (or maybe December, can't remember which) and she didn't start studying for the test tomorrow until July. She thinks that taking a bunch of time off actually helped her. There were a few things she forgot but it sounds like they came back relatively quickly.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 am

Psib337 wrote:My friend took the LSAT last February (or maybe December, can't remember which) and she didn't start studying for the test tomorrow until July. She thinks that taking a bunch of time off actually helped her. There were a few things she forgot but it sounds like they came back relatively quickly.

Yeah I guess the basics would all still be there. I know I'd want to go review-heavy the third time around, since I'd have very few new PTs and I know that really helped me last time. My concern is what materials to use other than the actual PTs. I used Velocity for June and enjoyed it, but I don't have access to the video courses anymore, and I've already used all the drilling materials. I guess I need to come up with a study plan if I actually do this. The other concern is another year of living in my parents house, which I don't really love the idea of.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am

emarxnj wrote:
Psib337 wrote:My friend took the LSAT last February (or maybe December, can't remember which) and she didn't start studying for the test tomorrow until July. She thinks that taking a bunch of time off actually helped her. There were a few things she forgot but it sounds like they came back relatively quickly.

Yeah I guess the basics would all still be there. I know I'd want to go review-heavy the third time around, since I'd have very few new PTs and I know that really helped me last time. My concern is what materials to use other than the actual PTs. I used Velocity for June and enjoyed it, but I don't have access to the video courses anymore, and I've already used all the drilling materials. I guess I need to come up with a study plan if I actually do this. The other concern is another year of living in my parents house, which I don't really love the idea of.

Well both me and my friend used a different method this time. I think we both figured something didn't click with one way of explaining it so we tried another way. She took Princeton Review the last time and I took Testmasters, this time we both used Powerscore but she took a class and I just bought the books (my parents weren't paying for another course and I wasn't able to).

I understand the living at your parents house thing though. If tomorrow doesn't work out and I'm not doing significantly better by December pushing it back to June seems to be my only option which makes law school next year impossible. I don't make enough to move out (at least not anyplace where I'd want to live), finding a job was painful enough the first time I'd rather not do it again, and living at home makes me feel like my life is on hold.

jvaugh57

Postby jvaugh57 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm

You might need a few weeks of refreshing after an extended break but you should be, overall, in a better position than than when you began.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Took my LSAT Oct 2011, retaking it tomorrow. Studied about 2 months, 1 intently before tomorrow.

After 1-2 PTs, I was back where I left off if not improved.

I did actively use my mind to an extent during the year off, but maybe thought of the LSAT for a total of 5 days.

Regaining speed has been the hardest thing out of it all.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”