What is everyone doing for the last day?

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 am

cahwc12 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:i'm a 유학생 haha. im also teaching english here. and yeah see you at yonsei hahahah.. ugh yonsei is 40 mins away from gangnam :(


Why not just say international student? Do you actually speak korean or just use the few words you know whenever you can?


i was born and raised in south korea. and i used that word to connect with a fellow korean. mind your own business


Maybe I'm wrong, but I never met a korean american who came to korea to teach english and actually knew more than a few words of korean. And both your attitude and casually tossing in of one of the few words you picked up since you've been here indicate to me that you're just trying to brag about knowing those few words. You certainly don't embody the endemic culture of respect and amicability of most koreans I met. You also didn't deny that you don't speak more than a few words of korean.

If I'm wrong, then these remarks are totally undeserved, but it just bothers me whenever I see it because nearly everyone I met in Korea who was a foreigner (korean-american or not) would try to pass off the eight words they learned as near fluency, whereas I actually studied diligently for two years and became nearly conversationally fluent. I guess I'm just calling out for your passive humblebrag and subsequent overly defensive attitude because when someone assumes you speak korean as a foreigner, it devalues the fact that I actually do (and doubtless sure you'll talk about your time there in your PS).

Anyway, if none of that is true, then I do apologize and anyway good luck on the test! (If it is true though you're a jerk.)


Haha. QFTheWaitingThread

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am

안녕, 잘 지냈어 요?

U mad bro?

Ramsey
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby Ramsey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:36 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:i'm a 유학생 haha. im also teaching english here. and yeah see you at yonsei hahahah.. ugh yonsei is 40 mins away from gangnam :(


Why not just say international student? Do you actually speak korean or just use the few words you know whenever you can?


i was born and raised in south korea. and i used that word to connect with a fellow korean. mind your own business


Maybe I'm wrong, but I never met a korean american who came to korea to teach english and actually knew more than a few words of korean. And both your attitude and casually tossing in of one of the few words you picked up since you've been here indicate to me that you're just trying to brag about knowing those few words. You certainly don't embody the endemic culture of respect and amicability of most koreans I met. You also didn't deny that you don't speak more than a few words of korean.

If I'm wrong, then these remarks are totally undeserved, but it just bothers me whenever I see it because nearly everyone I met in Korea who was a foreigner (korean-american or not) would try to pass off the eight words they learned as near fluency, whereas I actually studied diligently for two years and became nearly conversationally fluent. I guess I'm just calling out for your passive humblebrag and subsequent overly defensive attitude because when someone assumes you speak korean as a foreigner, it devalues the fact that I actually do (and doubtless sure you'll talk about your time there in your PS).

Anyway, if none of that is true, then I do apologize and anyway good luck on the test! (If it is true though you're a jerk.)



FYI:
1) one of the recent HLS valedictorians was a Korean American who came to Korea to teach English.... he did not speak much Korean when he first came here (his parents made him speak English only at home to ensure his fluency), and he always wanted to learn Korean. By the time he left after a year, he was more than conversational in Korean.

2) You mistakenly assume that he/she is a Korean American. He said 유학생 - meaning that he was born and raised in Korea until he left to the States for school (middle school, high school, college, etc.), and that he is fluent in Korean and considers himself Korean.

3) Unsolicited advice: you are making way too many quick judgements based on faulty assumptions and personal feelings.... watch out for those when you are taking LSAT tomorrow.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Haven't read this thread yet but has the written section been addressed? I haven't even looked at a sample yet. I'll probably do a few today (at least plan an outline for them).

User avatar
HuskyHopeful
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby HuskyHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I rolled out of bed at 1PM. (should be noted that I am not lazy but have been battling the flu all week... Tomorrow should be a blast.. if you are taking the test in CT and see the guy next to you spitting up phloem and working diligently whilst doing it, that's me, say hi after the test.

Gonna have a bowl of cereal and a banana.
Drive down to the test center and scope it out again.
Get my paperwork and bag together
Take a 4 section PT

take a shot of NyQuil and pass out at 9PM

As far as the written section goes doesn't have to be anything good. Just write something that has sentence structure and grammar. If you leave it blank schools will think you are a flake.
Last edited by HuskyHopeful on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby Psib337 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Working, going home, reviewing LR concepts in the LRB, yoga, TV, bed by 11

mcs268
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby mcs268 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

I ended up taking the RC section and 3 more passages with my new method, and a logic game section + other game types I haven't done in a while to brush up on my memory. Did much better with timing and that's good..of course I've done these problems before, but regardless, at least I now have some more confidence! who cares if it's inflated or not right?

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Just finished LG section of PT65 -- went -3 and cut it close with the time, too close for comfort! Going to do another LG section of PT62 and then some light LR drilling. After that may go for a run and just try and get into the right mindset for tomorrow. Going to get all my shit ready early (ticket, clothes, zip loc bag, etc). Waking up at 5 in the morning to drive down to my test center at around 7 and do some easy games and LR. Mightttt also go down to my test center in the evening and do some games there tonight; I went last weekend but no one was there to tell me where the room would be (on the ticket it says main foyer...) so hopefully someone can let me know today

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm

objection_your_honor wrote: has the written section been addressed?


Don't stress it. Most places don't really even read them.

The prompt will give you a choice between two options. Both options have strengths and weaknesses that are elicited. Here is how you should tackle it:

1) Write it like a standard paper: Introductory paragraph and thesis, body paragraphs and conclusion.
2) Don't use big words if you aren't sure about the spelling. A spelling error looks worse than using a simple word.
3) Don't get cutesy with your grammar and punctuation. Keep it simple and, more importantly, keep it correct.
4) Pick one of the options and stick with it. Do not fence sit. When discussing your side play up the strengths and downplay the weaknesses. When talking about the opposing position, highlight the weaknesses as severe and the strengths as negligible. Obviously do not exaggerate too much.
5) THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT: Do not bring outside information into the essay. The essay is designed so that you can make your argument with only the information in front of you.
6) Do not stress the writing sample at all. It is what it is, It is not scored and ultimately unimportant. But, do not be flippant about it. Put forth a serious effort.

User avatar
nick_scheu
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby nick_scheu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:38 pm

deputydog wrote:5) THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT: Do not bring outside information into the essay. The essay is designed so that you can make your argument with only the information in front of you.


A caveat I'd add... I think it'd be fine to apply general principles, common sense, or well-known and generally-accepted outside information. As an off-the-top-of-my-head example... If it affected your argument on the topic, you could reference that the U.S. has the largest military budget in the world, but you wouldn't say that the F-35 program cost $11.4 billion last year, even if you happen to know that.

My sense is that you don't want to include is anything that could be contested—if it's something you'd include a citation for on a normal paper, don't bring it in.

But correct me if I'm wrong. :)

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 pm

nick_scheu wrote:
deputydog wrote:5) THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT: Do not bring outside information into the essay. The essay is designed so that you can make your argument with only the information in front of you.


A caveat I'd add... I think it'd be fine to apply general principles, common sense, or well-known and generally-accepted outside information. As an off-the-top-of-my-head example... If it affected your argument on the topic, you could reference that the U.S. has the largest military budget in the world, but you wouldn't say that the F-35 program cost $11.4 billion last year, even if you happen to know that.

My sense is that you don't want to include is anything that could be contested—if it's something you'd include a citation for on a normal paper, don't bring it in.

But correct me if I'm wrong. :)



This can be tricky. I generally agree but I think the US Military Budget analogy is bad because it is too specific. Unless the prompt says something like that I wouldn't use that. Unless it is very, very common knowledge (i.e., if you don't get enough sleep, you will be tired), I wouldn't use it.

TomThompson
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby TomThompson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:46 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:I rolled out of bed at 1PM. (should be noted that I am not lazy but have been battling the flu all week... Tomorrow should be a blast.. if you are taking the test in CT and see the guy next to you spitting up phloem and working diligently whilst doing it, that's me, say hi after the test.

Gonna have a bowl of cereal and a banana.
Drive down to the test center and scope it out again.
Get my paperwork and bag together
Take a 4 section PT

take a shot of NyQuil and pass out at 9PM

As far as the written section goes doesn't have to be anything good. Just write something that has sentence structure and grammar. If you leave it blank schools will think you are a flake.


Is the Nyquil hangover a real thing? I was considering taking some...

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Post removed.

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sun May 10, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Ramsey wrote:FYI:
1) one of the recent HLS valedictorians was a Korean American who came to Korea to teach English.... he did not speak much Korean when he first came here (his parents made him speak English only at home to ensure his fluency), and he always wanted to learn Korean. By the time he left after a year, he was more than conversational in Korean.

2) You mistakenly assume that he/she is a Korean American. He said 유학생 - meaning that he was born and raised in Korea until he left to the States for school (middle school, high school, college, etc.), and that he is fluent in Korean and considers himself Korean.

3) Unsolicited advice: you are making way too many quick judgements based on faulty assumptions and personal feelings.... watch out for those when you are taking LSAT tomorrow.


He implied he was korean, and the added hangul has been profoundly correlated in my experience on internet message boards like dave's and waygook and in spending two years there with people who are trying to give the misleading impression of knowing korean when they don't know more than a few words. I'm aware of the weighty assumptions I made, which is why, even though I posted them anyway, I did preface with "if i'm wrong, sorry."

I guess at the end of the day, almost everyone likes to brag a little bit, but when someone implies, even passively, a difficult-to-out lie, it diminishes the ability for goobers like me to go "hey I am somewhat unique because I have this skill," because, perceptively, I am thereby less unique. I questioned him on what was almost certainly a false brag, and he responded with "mind your own business" which just set me off.

Anyway, best of luck everyone tomorrow and my apologies for derailing an otherwise stress-reducing-aimed thread with my otherwise trivial quibble!

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
Ramsey wrote:FYI:
1) one of the recent HLS valedictorians was a Korean American who came to Korea to teach English.... he did not speak much Korean when he first came here (his parents made him speak English only at home to ensure his fluency), and he always wanted to learn Korean. By the time he left after a year, he was more than conversational in Korean.

2) You mistakenly assume that he/she is a Korean American. He said 유학생 - meaning that he was born and raised in Korea until he left to the States for school (middle school, high school, college, etc.), and that he is fluent in Korean and considers himself Korean.

3) Unsolicited advice: you are making way too many quick judgements based on faulty assumptions and personal feelings.... watch out for those when you are taking LSAT tomorrow.


He implied he was korean, and the added hangul has been profoundly correlated in my experience on internet message boards like dave's and waygook and in spending two years there with people who are trying to give the misleading impression of knowing korean when they don't know more than a few words. I'm aware of the weighty assumptions I made, which is why, even though I posted them anyway, I did preface with "if i'm wrong, sorry."

I guess at the end of the day, almost everyone likes to brag a little bit, but when someone implies, even passively, a difficult-to-out lie, it diminishes the ability for goobers like me to go "hey I am somewhat unique because I have this skill," because, perceptively, I am thereby less unique. I questioned him on what was almost certainly a false brag, and he responded with "mind your own business" which just set me off.

Anyway, best of luck everyone tomorrow and my apologies for derailing an otherwise stress-reducing-aimed thread with my otherwise trivial quibble!


QFP

User avatar
HuskyHopeful
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby HuskyHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Never got a nyquil hangover with atleast 8 hours of sleep, but I drink like a fish dvds don't even get real hangovers so may be the exception

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby sinfiery » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I slept 13 hours yesterday, so I am laying in bed all day today.

Sounds perfect. Might watch a movie.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Never got a nyquil hangover with atleast 8 hours of sleep, but I drink like a fish dvds don't even get real hangovers so may be the exception


There is no way you drink like a fish and don't get hungover.

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby Psib337 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm

deputydog wrote:
HuskyHopeful wrote:Never got a nyquil hangover with atleast 8 hours of sleep, but I drink like a fish dvds don't even get real hangovers so may be the exception


There is no way you drink like a fish and don't get hungover.


Freshman year I used to drink my weight in alcohol and feel fine the next day, now it's hit and miss, sometimes I can drink all night and feel fine other times I'm out for most of the next day

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Psib337 wrote:
deputydog wrote:
HuskyHopeful wrote:Never got a nyquil hangover with atleast 8 hours of sleep, but I drink like a fish dvds don't even get real hangovers so may be the exception


There is no way you drink like a fish and don't get hungover.


Freshman year I used to drink my weight in alcohol and feel fine the next day, now it's hit and miss, sometimes I can drink all night and feel fine other times I'm out for most of the next day


That's just s little more believable than the 'I drink like a fish and don't get hungover' lightweight frat boy flame.

The fact is, if you're not hungover, you didn't drink like a 'fish'.

User avatar
HuskyHopeful
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby HuskyHopeful » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:28 pm

The point I was trying to make was I consume large amounts of alcohol so my liver is used to filtering out toxins. stop over analyzing everything today, save that for tomorrow!

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby Psib337 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:The point I was trying to make was I consume large amounts of alcohol so my liver is used to filtering out toxins. stop over analyzing everything today, save that for tomorrow!


Overanalyzing on the LSAT is what gets me in trouble :(

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby chadbrochill » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:The point I was trying to make was I consume large amounts of alcohol so my liver is used to filtering out toxins. stop over analyzing everything today, save that for tomorrow!


LOL this place is turning into a mess in the final 24 hrs :lol:
just wake up a few hours earlier, do some warmup drills

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby annet » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Woke up late, alternated drilling and messing around online, about to get a massage*, buy some nice breakfast food for tomorrow, drill, look at a writing prompt, make up my stupid baggie and print the ticket, pray I sleep well.

I'm also simultaneously trying to figure out with my ride how the fuck this is supposed to work on a home-game football Saturday. I'm not paying a zillion dollars to park and with the no cell phone thing I'm trying to arrange the least annoying meet up spot for my ride to find me while guesstimating how long the test will take. /rant


* Being out of school and having money is awesome. Would never have done this as a broke student.

User avatar
Funkycrime
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: What is everyone doing for the last day?

Postby Funkycrime » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm hungover and debating having another drink. Sorry guys, pushing back until December.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], packerboy31489, PresidentIJohnson, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests