Logic Games heavy with hypotheticals?

epgenius

Logic Games heavy with hypotheticals?

Postby epgenius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... On the eve of the test, despite the fact that I don't miss many, if any, questions in LG, the more recent tests I take the more time it seems to take me to finish-- a problem I never experienced on older tests. I feel like there aren't a lot of inferences to be made in recent games and so, instead, I'm spending way longer on each question because I have to write up a bunch of hypotheticals to solve the problems effectively. I recently took PT 57 and didn't make it to 5 questions... something that has never happened before. Am I crazy or is this an actual phenomenon and, please, can someone help me out?

epgenius

Re: Logic Games heavy with hypotheticals?

Postby epgenius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 pm

epgenius wrote:I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... On the eve of the test, despite the fact that I don't miss many, if any, questions in LG, the more recent tests I take the more time it seems to take me to finish-- a problem I never experienced on older tests. I feel like there aren't a lot of inferences to be made in recent games and so, instead, I'm spending way longer on each question because I have to write up a bunch of hypotheticals to solve the problems effectively. I recently took PT 57 and didn't make it to 5 questions... something that has never happened before. Am I crazy or is this an actual phenomenon and, please, can someone help me out?

So apparently this is the section of the infamous "Dinosaur Game"... I have still been slow by about 1 or 2 questions recently, but should I be as worried if that specific game is considered one of the hardest of all time? I got 22/23 total and just missed #17 (the last question of the Dino Game).

mqt

Postby mqt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:12 pm

What's worked for me with these recent LG sections is recognizing what types of games are more controlled by the variables that are rule-heavy, and which games are more controlled by the random variables. That allows you to pick which answer choices to test first. It's definitely been a time saver, and I'm finishing each LG section with plenty of time to spare.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm

A lot of people will tell you that there's a recent trend away from deductions scenarios, but I don't buy it. I just went over June with students, and two games benefited from scenarios (2-3 setups that completely define all possibilities - the third and fourth games) while another was rendered a 4 minute game by making a deduction that almost completely defined the game (the first game). The second game (shopping mall) could have used scenarios, but they weren't too helpful (which you should have quickly noticed) and just getting through the game was the best way to do it. That takes time, but you should have more than made up for it on the other games.

As to the dino game, you can make scenarios around which are the mauve dinos - there are only 3 possiblities. Makes the game pretty easy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”