Weaken and strengthen questions

gg2

Weaken and strengthen questions

Postby gg2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am

Only two days left! I'm still struggling with these on LR and I ran out of questions to drill/reviewed Powerscore bible numerous times. It seems like most of the time the correct answer attacks an unstated assumption, but I can never immediately identify that assumption and end up choosing a tricky wrong answer.
Can someone please give me some advice?! these are killing me... ><

Chardee_MacDennis

Re: Weaken and strengthen questions

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

gg2 wrote:Only two days left! I'm still struggling with these on LR and I ran out of questions to drill/reviewed Powerscore bible numerous times. It seems like most of the time the correct answer attacks an unstated assumption, but I can never immediately identify that assumption and end up choosing a tricky wrong answer.
Can someone please give me some advice?! these are killing me... ><

On these Qs, you're most likely looking at a stimulus that is using some sort of cause-effect relationship, so you'll either strengthen or weaken that relationship.

For example, a study indicates that the number of smokers in a town decreased after the town passed a $1/pack tax on cigarettes. Therefore, the tax caused the decrease.

To strengthen this, you'll want to show same cause-same effect, no cause-no effect, or potentially outside info that eliminates an alternative explanation (e.g, another town recently passed a $1/pack tax, and the number of smokers decreased substantially).

To weaken this, you'll do just the opposite: same cause-no effect, no cause-same effect, or outside info that shows an alternative explanation is plausible (another town recently passed a $1/pack tax, and the number of smokers did not decrease/actually increased).

You really need to dig down and determine the realtionship between the premises and the conclusion and what support is being given.

HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”