PT 35 Sec. 4 p6 and p23

b33eazy

PT 35 Sec. 4 p6 and p23

Postby b33eazy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm

My only problem I have with question 6 is that the statement says many and the answer has "most" in it. I thought that we couldn't do that we need a similar modifier.

Problem 23 got me for a loop I don't know why A is incorrect. And D is the correct answer. My problem with A is that it seems the same as the parallel. Higher Altitude=thinner air. Mexico has a higher altitude than Panama so means it has thinner air.

A. One gets older=wiser. H is older than D. So H (Older) is wiser than D.

TripTrip

Re: PT 35 Sec. 4 p6 and p23

Postby TripTrip » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 pm

b33eazy wrote:My only problem I have with question 6 is that the statement says many and the answer has "most" in it. I thought that we couldn't do that we need a similar modifier.

The argument is not about many or most, that's just who is arguing the side. For example, the first argument would not change if it said "A few key critics are alarmed about the population explosion" and the answer would not have a different argument if it started with "Some of the sales people are concerned with complaints." We don't care who is arguing, we car about the pattern of reasoning.

b33eazy wrote:Problem 23 got me for a loop I don't know why A is incorrect. And D is the correct answer. My problem with A is that it seems the same as the parallel. Higher Altitude=thinner air. Mexico has a higher altitude than Panama so means it has thinner air.

A. One gets older=wiser. H is older than D. So H (Older) is wiser than D.

Q23 is very difficult. The reason A is not correct is because it does not allow us to compare one thing to another. That is, the statement only applies to one subject at a time. Here's two ways to make it parallel:

• "As one gets older one gets wiser. Since Henrietta is older than she has ever been, she must also be wiser than she has ever been."
  • "Any person who is older than another person is also wiser than that other person. Since Henrietta is older than her daughter, Henrietta must also be wiser than her daughter."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”