nosleeptillsuccess

Reading comp timing issue

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Do you use annotations at all??

I'm having a severe timing problem on RC

Theopliske8711

Re: Reading comp timing issue

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Minimal amounts. I circle word(s) that may identify a position, highlight a sentence that has relevance to the themes or ideas of the passage, note a turn of phrase. At times I may describe the point of a paragraph in a short few words on the side. Don't focus on the specifics or names, but focus on what is important in the greater picture.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 pm

I've recently started to slow down my reading (spending 2 to 2.5 minutes reading each passage before looking at any of the questions), and it has overall increased my speed. I find when I read very slow and deliberately I rarely have to re-read things, and I can actually remember which things were mentioned in those horribly time consuming "which one of the following were not mentioned..." questions.

As far as taking notes, I do very little. I'll underline names and lists since those tend to have questions that refer to them.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

How long are you taking to read the selection? Ideal is 45 sec - 2 min, normal is 2-3 min. If you're taking any longer than that, you're giving yourself very little time to answer the questions. Questions about very specific things give you the line number, so you really just need to absorb main viewpoints and perhaps the topics of paragraphs.

It's hard to increase reading speed at this point in your life, but it can be done by reading a lot of dense material. Read articles in The Economist or Scientific American and immediately afterwards, jot down a few sentences about what the article was about to see if you were absorbing it or just skimming.

I personally never marked up the passage because I retain a fairly decent visual memory of where on a page I read that one thing or this other thing. It doesn't work all that well for longer reading (like actual law school reading assignments, sadly), but for 1-page selections it's great. But obviously that's a personal quirk that I can't just advise people to acquire.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm starting to think I have a memory problem.

It takes me about 4-4.5 mins to read a RC passage in its entirety and to grasp the gist of each paragraph to see where the passage is going. Sometimes I think I have the general idea, but the challenging LSAT questions and the attractive answers choices prove me wrong apparently.

I probably finish each passage on an average of 10-12 minutes with confidence... (getting an average of roughly 2 or 3 wrong which isn't all that)

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Try doing a few without necessarily timing yourself but keep a clock running to know how your doing. Timing is one of those things that kind of fixes itself, with time and practice. If you do enough, you will be able to do them faster and faster. You should be able to get a feel of the time so that your not too conscious of it. As you do more and more, you'll chip away at the minutes. Although the topics may be different, they generally ask the same questions so you should know what to look for.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I just read one real fast and made real quick notes... somehow I got every question right AND in the shortest time today so far... Is it possible I was just reading too slow??

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Yea, that can happen. If you focus on every.single.word you will find it impossible to know what happened before. You need to have a general concept of the entire passage and fixating on specifics will cost you.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

This may sound dumb but it is a piece of advice that has surprisingly helped me quite a bit.

Convince yourself at the beginning of each passage that you are legitimately interested in the topic and you really want to know what it is going to say. Actively engage in it.

I used to just read the passages just because they were on the page. I would trudge through them. Now, I try to actively read them (ask questions in your head, predict what is going to be said next, etc) and really remain interested in it. This has been a huge help to me.

Again, seems kind of dumb, but take it for what it's worth.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 pm

I am interested in it because my life is vested on getting a decent score on this test.

Interest is by far an issue at this point.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 pm

I've actually gotten that recommendation a lot. It works. If you read the passage with an upbeat attitude, if you make the voice in your head feel more alive, the chances are you can remember better. Don't overdo it, but try it.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:I am interested in it because my life is vested on getting a decent score on this test.

Interest is by far an issue at this point.

That's a different kind of interest though. Try to be interested in it because you legitimately want to know more about the topic it is discussing. Interest for the sake of interest just doesn't cut it.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I just tried your method.. 2 wrong in about 10 minutes...not what I'm looking for but I'll do like 5 and average them out

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”