How do you avoid being flustered/frustrated?

lawschool2014hopeful

How do you avoid being flustered/frustrated?

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

I have found that, if I struggle with 1Q, because of super similiar A.C or difficult stim, sometimes I get flustered and cant seem to let that question "go". I found that definitely decrease my performance and concentration for later Qs. So the strategy I have adopted is to simply skip any Q that I think I wont get right away. But I found that not to be 100% effective. I was wondering if anyone here uses any mental "techniques" to forget the previous Q.

E.g.,, as silly it may seem, count sheeps or something lolz?

RCinDNA

Re: How do you avoid being flustered/frustrated?

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am

I meditate the day before the test. I also remind myself of the techniques I've learned for the question types I found difficult. Finally, I take deep breaths and hold steady at the general "1 minute per question rule" - if I meet a question that is taking more than 1 minute, I put a box around it and move on; if I come across a question that I recognize I could answer correctly, but need more time (like finding parallel structures or flaws) I put a star next to it. I also have to remind myself to keep thinking, since staying on task keeps me focused.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

this is a huge problem for me. RC's solution is good. For long/tough questions just mark them and come back to them at the end... efficiency should be your priority.

then once that's all your left with I'd say go for the long questions first and then the difficult ones.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Some questions should, however, and I think, take longer than a minute. The parallel flaws ones certainly are such types since the hard ones are really nuanced, that is why the easy questions exist. Learn to perfect the easy and thereby save time for hard ones. Some questions should literally take you the flip of the eye to get, particularly the early ones. You should be able to read the stimulus, the questions and have things click very fast. That will save you time on the harder ones, which you can then spend maybe an extra 30 secs even a minute extra if you have saved enough time on the easy ones.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”