Prep 29, Section 1, # 19

soyeonjeon

Prep 29, Section 1, # 19

Postby soyeonjeon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 am

Prep 29, Section 1, # 19
Why would D not be an answer?
1. Because contingency and mistake are not necessarily the same?
2. Because we are not given information about whether the manager directly supervises the contractor?
I would like to know more clearly though. Would be great if someone could specifically point out some core reasons why D is wrong.
Thanks in advance.

CyanIdes Of March

Re: Prep 29, Section 1, # 19

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 am

I like helping people with LR questions but I think you'll get a much better response if you condensed your questions into one mega-thread. 9 seperate threads for individual questions simultaneously is more likely to annoy people who will assume you to be a spammer than provoke a helpful response to all of them. Also, it robs other threads of presence on the first page unduly.

jmsae

Postby jmsae » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 pm

The question stem is asking for the principle that underlies the arbitrator's argument not the shipping manager. "But he also claims that..." is the shipping manager saying it is not his fault. Do not get this confused with what the arbitrator's argument is.

We are introduced to the arbitrator's argument in the last sentence when he begins with "but he, too, is to blame, for he..." and this shows that he feels the shipping manager should be prepared for a dilemma such as this when it arises. We are concerned solely with this argument and if we apply (A) it fits appropriately.

I think (D) is making a bit of a leap. Although the language of the passage can lead us to infer that the arbitrator feels the shipping manager should be held responsible for the the mistakes it does not underlie his true argument, as aforementioned. Also, a red flag would have went off in my mind when (D) suggests that the shipping manager directly supervises the contractor. A contractor is hired via means of a contract to perform a service. We would be making a leap in assuming this contract entails direct supervision or some form of authority over the contractor by the shipping manager. Based on the evidence in the passage we do not have enough information about the contract to determine whether this is accurate or not.

I think your confusion stemmed from inappropriate inferences about the passage and, more importantly, which argument in the passage we were looking to justify.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I like helping people with LR questions but I think you'll get a much better response if you condensed your questions into one mega-thread. 9 seperate threads for individual questions simultaneously is more likely to annoy people who will assume you to be a spammer than provoke a helpful response to all of them. Also, it robs other threads of presence on the first page unduly.

I agree, but only for questions about the same section of the same PT. It does make sense, for instance, to create separate threads for PT 29-S1 and PT 23-S2.

You are right about making the first page a little clogged though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”