the only thread on LG difficulties on TLS

mbh28

the only thread on LG difficulties on TLS

Postby mbh28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 am

I'm sure this is repetitive, but as you can see from my huge number of posts I've basically never used the site. If this is just re-hashing what I'm too lazy to find on my own, my apologies.

I've recently decided to cancel my 10/6 test date in favor of the December test, mainly because I am still wildly inconsistent on the LG section. Sometimes I get games that are familiar and do fine, and other times I am flummoxed by one, two, even three games and I completely bomb the section. Usually it's that I miss a couple key inferences, but sometimes it's even that I'm unsure how to set it up.

I'm looking for tips on ways to improve on LG generally and particularly to cut out that volatility. My prep hasn't been thorough enough, but I am at least familiar with the section. I have worked through the PS bible, and done several full sections and 5 full tests.

The advice I've gotten so far from friends basically boils down to "take more tests." I know they're right and I plan on doing that. But if I'm running up against games that throw me for a loop half the time, and I don't have a set-up/inferences explanation to turn to, I'm not sure how to go from staring frustratingly to confidently attacking. Many thanks!

SumStalwart

Re: the only thread on LG difficulties on TLS

Postby SumStalwart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 am

My advice would be to just do untimed sections of the game. When I first started practicing, my AR section was extremely volatile. Some games clicked, others simply didn't. Just practice going through the games, without time so that you can figure out how you prefer to organize all of the information, and so that you can develop your underlying skill set.

Good luck in December!

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 am

In the exact same situation as you. I have improved, but sometimes a game, or even two games, throw/s me for a loop. Considering that I need close to or better than 175 to have a chance at what I want, this is getting very stressful. I've gone through the PSB, but not through Manhattan's book yet--really hoping it will help out. Was planning on doing what sumstalwart suggested (going through the games slowly) as well. I would do anything for this test to only be LR/RC, even if those sections were made a good bit harder as a result.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:49 am

ws81086n wrote:In the exact same situation as you. I have improved, but sometimes a game, or even two games, throw/s me for a loop. Considering that I need close to or better than 175 to have a chance at what I want, this is getting very stressful. I've gone through the PSB, but not through Manhattan's book yet--really hoping it will help out. Was planning on doing what sumstalwart suggested (going through the games slowly) as well. I would do anything for this test to only be LR/RC, even if those sections were made a good bit harder as a result.

Instead of copiously reading through strategy guides, try spending more time on actual games. Nearly all of what's holding you back is very likely to be solved through repetition and exposure to more game tricks. Use each game you do to test your strategies and modify them as needed. Repeat whatever games slow you down. There are over 280 available games for you to do.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 am

Wormfather wrote:I was fail at games in June because I suck at inferences. Buy the Velocity online games course and go through the book then do it again, and then one more time.

Their system is plug and chug and it works.

I took the Powerscore class and still find 'plug and chug' faster, easier, and better than the PS method.
I find the diagramming and inference making prior to attacking the game to be time consuming and exhausting.
Additionally, it seems that the tests in the 60s are suited more for 'plug and chug' anyway.

7Sage suggests taking 10 copies of a LG section, completing one, checking the answers, if you did not finish on time and do not feel you have mastered the game, watch YouTube video of how to solve game, and try again. This has been very helpful to me. I went from -4 across the 3 games I could finish on time, to missing -2 or none on the whole section with minutes to spare.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”